PDA

View Full Version : MC speed control vs. Perfect Pass

Bobwire
06-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Hi all....
I am purchasing a Mastercraft that has speed control and was wondering how well it works compared to the PP.
Is the PP upgrade necessary?
Thanks

east tx skier
06-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Welcome. "Necessary" is a funny word. When I bought my MasterCraft years ago, the salesman mentioned adding Perfect Pass. I laughed, told him I was no pro skier, and passed on the add on. A couple of months later, I joined a ski club and started skiing with some of the members. We always used their boats. I continued to offer mine up for sets and, finally, one of them leveled with me. He said, "It's not that you don't have a great boat. But it doesn't have cruise control."

From there, I bought a Perfect Pass system and wouldn't be without it today. No, I'm not a any more of a professional than I was seven years ago. But I get it.

Bottom line is that MC Cruise is fine for holding speed in a recreational setting, but it isn't pulling tournaments. It's a base system. If you think you'll be in a position to use your boat more, enjoy it more, or have others who have tasted the sweet taste of an upper end cruise control want to ride behind your boat, then it is, perhaps, "necessary."

My $.02.

agarabaghi
06-17-2011, 01:17 PM
get the pp upgrade

nickespi
06-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Do it! And make sure it's the gps speedo. The paddlewheel blows...

jbkriss
06-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the MC speed control is RPM based where PP is based on paddlewheel or GPS. So when going lower RPMs (wakesurfing), speed control is less than ideal at holding speed consistently.

Ski-me
06-17-2011, 02:31 PM
I think the main difference is that the cruise, you set it on the spot once you get to a given speed/rpm.

With Perfect Pass, you pick the person's name (which already has the specs and speed dialed in) and you are good to go from there.

No messing around.....a little slower.....a little faster.....yes, that's it, set the cruise now.

PP saves time and a person with "less than stellar driving skills" can give you a decent pull by eliminating one of the unknowns (speed). All the driver has to do then is keep it tracking straight. The speed is already taken care of.

Definitely worth the upgrade. If I recall correctly, you can utilize part of your existing system and upgrade the perfect pass. You will need the larger, 3 line display and the master module (minimum version 6.5ng) for sure. Other parts, I don't know exactly.

Also, it's a motivational tool! My two girls are competing with each other and both started at 26 mph and then up to 28 mph. They decided to move "up" again and try 30 mph. They love it and know they will get the same thing (wake wise) next time they go out.

bobx1
06-17-2011, 02:55 PM
....Bottom line is that MC Cruise is fine for holding speed in a recreational setting, but it isn't pulling tournaments......

Well said ETS.

I have Master Cruise and it works great for me but I definently fall into the recreational setting category. My three boys wakeboard only and they have no issues but again they are not perfectionist - set it on 19 or 20 and they are happy.

Coming from an I/O requiring constant manual intervention, MC Cruise is great!

bobx1
06-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the MC speed control is RPM based where PP is based on paddlewheel or GPS. So when going lower RPMs (wakesurfing), speed control is less than ideal at holding speed consistently.

You can choose RPM or Speed (07 X1).

willyt
06-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Bob,
I have MC cruise, and only wakeboard. It requires a little more skill from the driver, as it likes to blow past the set speed and then come back down (not good for teaching newbies). If you slowly creep up the set speed, it'll hold it just like PP for wakeboarding.
The one REALLY annoying thing about it is you have to remember to turn it back on every time you turn the boat back on, it doesnt stay on like PP.

I would say PP is better than MC cruise, but for wakeboarding... doesnt really matter (if your not teaching newbies alot/have some driving skills) IMO

Brian B
06-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Where is the cheapest/best place to purchase a PP system?

Brian B
06-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Is MC cruise more affordable? Is a system offered for older boats? 01 X10 Indmar?

mccobmd
06-17-2011, 03:13 PM
I have been looking at this for 2 years. So far the MC cruise works great for us but we wakeboard and surf with it. I have an X1 so no tournament for me no matter what. The cruise will stay set if you don't turn the key completely off. If you turn the engine off but not the key it doesn't reset. I think there are advantages to PP but not 1500-2000 dollars worth for me right now. Besides, my wife said "I just learned to use this, I don't want something new". Nuff said!!!

east tx skier
06-17-2011, 04:44 PM
You can choose RPM or Speed (07 X1).

Technically, Perfect Pass Stargazer is RPM based with a GPS speed overlay. As for lower speeds, it is rock solid for tricks in the 16--18 mph range. I have no experience with wake surfing speeds.

Also, Stargazer 3 event does not have individualized name settings like Digital Pro 6.5 ng did. Since there isn't really skier weight to deal with anymore, it isn't really needed. Just keep your crew weight close, select your speed, and go.

east tx skier
06-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Where is the cheapest/best place to purchase a PP system?

Charlotte Ski Boats or Skier to Skier.

Bobwire
06-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Definitely worth the upgrade. If I recall correctly, you can utilize part of your existing system and upgrade the perfect pass. You will need the larger, 3 line display and the master module (minimum version 6.5ng) for sure. Other parts, I don't know exactly.

This sounds like the way. Does anyone now for sure what all is involved?

kskonn
06-17-2011, 08:02 PM
FYI... Since it has not been mentioned, if you use your boat on a river or somewhere with a current you will want to go with the paddle wheel over the GPS. My paddlewheel works great fyi... I like the Stargazer but it does not work well where I wakeboard.

ProStar Slalom
06-18-2011, 06:43 AM
Slight threadjack, but I just noticed on the PP website that they now offer a GPS speedometer replacement option. It replaces the traditional speedometer, whether it's a pitot tube system or paddle wheel. It looks pretty good on the website photos, with the PP display on the right side and a matching speedometer on the left. Just wondering if anyone has tried it...?

east tx skier
06-19-2011, 11:55 AM
FYI... Since it has not been mentioned, if you use your boat on a river or somewhere with a current you will want to go with the paddle wheel over the GPS. My paddlewheel works great fyi... I like the Stargazer but it does not work well where I wakeboard.

There is an unpublished river option for SG. But if you only ride in a river current, SG doesn't make much sense.

Ski-me
06-20-2011, 12:52 PM
This sounds like the way. Does anyone now for sure what all is involved?

Bob, I just got a whole system for my sister-in-law's new boat. She wanted PP but certainly didn't need Stargazer if possible. Just a good, solid PP system.

I found a used 6.5ng module for $100 and got the rest of the gear from skiertoskier.com

Multi Line Display $190.
Small Parts Bag $36.
Servo with Cable $209
Power Cable from MasterControl to Servo $45.
12 volt power cable to MasterControl $30.
RPM sensor $45.

If your cruise already has the Servo motor and Cable, you could take that off the parts list. Also, you may have the power Cable from MM to Servo....but I'm only guessing at this point. Take a look at what you have as-is.

So, for under $700 we got an entire PP system for her boat. And if she ever wants to, it can be upgraded to Stargazer simply by replacing the MM unit.

Not bad......