PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry

Pages : [1] 2

WildPeace
06-17-2011, 01:06 AM
Now that concealed carry is legal at Lake Powell, how many exercise the right? Any one have experience with Lake Patrol and concealed carry? I am from a reciprocal state and have a concealed license. If I am obeying all other regulations what concerns should I have? No children in out party.

Matt L.
06-17-2011, 04:52 AM
Hadn't heard that. Better check the lake regs. I know in some Federal Parks it is prohibited. That might still apply at Lake Powell.

Later,

Matt

Brian B
06-17-2011, 05:15 AM
As a person who carry's 97% of the time, I have to ask why you would even bother with concealing or carrying at Powell? Not like you can target shoot there anyways........

CantRepeat
06-17-2011, 06:35 AM
As a person who carry's 97% of the time, I have to ask why you would even bother with concealing or carrying at Powell? Not like you can target shoot there anyways........

The infestation of Somalia pirates is terrible.

2RLAKE
06-17-2011, 07:44 AM
my wife and I both have our CCW and carry ... my latest is a Kimber Ultra Tactical II .45

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 09:19 AM
I carry most of the time my ruger lcp and my wife carries a keltec p3at. I have never really felt the need to carry on the lake.

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 10:13 AM
I carry pretty much seven days a week, all day. I the weapon I carry most of the time is a Keltec P3AT w/ Crimson Trace Laser and belt clip in the small of my back. I drive and see clients all over the county everyday, so I will never go with out carrying. It actually is my main carry weapon. I do not carry the 9mm that much at all. I have never carried on the water, though there have been a couple times where I wish I did.

willyt
06-17-2011, 10:15 AM
i always carry an assult rifle on the boat. use it to go fishing after we're done riding (and for those pesky jetskiers)

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 10:18 AM
I should carry the Smith & Wesson .223 15... that would be fun!

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 10:30 AM

Skipper
06-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Only been one shooting on Lake Powell that I can recall...was in the late '70s some bozo in Last Chance Bay was shooting a rifle near other boaters. NPS talked him into going to jail alive. I didnt know that NPS allows firearms in the national park. Leaving on my houseboat trip this morning. Guess the .45 will be useful to keep tubers and PWC's away from the course.

aarosurf
06-17-2011, 10:35 AM
I should carry the Smith & Wesson .223 15... that would be fun!

You never know when you might see an 8 point buck up on the shoreline.

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 10:40 AM
You never know when you might see an 8 point buck up on the shoreline.

And pump a mag into him in a few burst? LOL

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 10:42 AM

Looks like fun! I really need to go shooting... its been a while and I miss the stress relief.

caden
06-17-2011, 10:52 AM
I think it is illegal to carry a firearm on TVA lakes here. So you better check the park regs just to be sure.

Skipper
06-17-2011, 10:56 AM
http://www.nps.gov/glca/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htmFound this:

"New Firearm Regulations

As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally posess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally posess firearms in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area and all other National Parks.

It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. If you plan on being in Utah, please visit this site. If you plan on being in Arizona, please visit this site.

Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park (such as the Carl Hayden Visitor Center); those places are marked with signs at all public entrances."

ShamrockIV
06-17-2011, 11:00 AM
I think it is illegal to carry a firearm on TVA lakes here. So you better check the park regs just to be sure.

I dont believe so. I carry my kel tec 380 everywhere. i never thought i would like such a small caliber pistol so much but after about 30 min u forget u have it on. it is always better to have it with u than not in my book. with all the dollars we have sunk into boats, trucks and equipment i am surprised we dont hear more about people getting held up at the ramp late at night.

i guess right now the only place we get robbed is at the gas pumps!!!!!!! OUCH!!!

craig3972
06-17-2011, 11:43 AM
America .... lol

captain planet
06-17-2011, 11:59 AM
I dont believe so. I carry my kel tec 380 everywhere. i never thought i would like such a small caliber pistol so much but after about 30 min u forget u have it on. it is always better to have it with u than not in my book. with all the dollars we have sunk into boats, trucks and equipment i am surprised we dont hear more about people getting held up at the ramp late at night.

i guess right now the only place we get robbed is at the gas pumps!!!!!!! OUCH!!!

That is an interesting little gun. How many rounds does that hold?

ShamrockIV
06-17-2011, 12:10 PM
it holds 6+1. with the clip draw mounted on it it works good. i love my 1911's but for a gun for protection and to keep you out of jail it is great!!! plus with the right ammo 380 will do a good job!

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 12:37 PM

Thats how I feel about my Kel Tec, I love it. I tried .45's, 9's, but the kel tec is perfect for where I want to carry it and how often I carry it.

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 12:37 PM
America .... lol

No kidding, WOW I am in the US often enough and I have never felt the need to carry a weapon, lol That's scary stuff right there.

I'm happy I am here in Canada!!! The thought of everyone around me carrying a concealed weapon, not good.

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 12:41 PM
it holds 6+1. with the clip draw mounted on it it works good. i love my 1911's but for a gun for protection and to keep you out of jail it is great!!! plus with the right ammo 380 will do a good job!

hollow points only in mine... I always have one chambered too...

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 12:44 PM
No kidding, WOW I am in the US often enough and I have never felt the need to carry a weapon, lol That's scary stuff right there.

I'm happy I am here in Canada!!! The thought of everyone around me carrying a concealed weapon, not good.

You should think about getting a gun with all of the people rioting after losing a hockey game.:D

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 12:47 PM
You should think about getting a gun with all of the people rioting after losing a hockey game.:D

Thankfully, they are all the way on the other side of the Country or I would have found a gun to shoot them! lol

My team didn't make it, but I would hope that if they did and lost, people wouldn't be as completely retarded as the Canucks fans are.

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 12:49 PM
hollow points only in mine... I always have one chambered too...

Doo I own two keltec 32's, keltec 380 ,ruger lcp and a diamondback 380. Keltec makes the LCP for ruger. And the diamondback is made by two guys that use to work for keltec. You should try the LCP it is a cleaner looking gun.

Muttley
06-17-2011, 12:49 PM

Shhhhhh... Careful. It's an American board. ;)

Hey, I'm all for their Second Amendment Rights and all... I'm just not sure why it's a neccessity when boating. :confused:

...each to his own, I guess.

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Shhhhhh... Careful. It's an American board. ;)

Hey, I'm all for their Second Amendment Rights and all... I'm just not sure why it's a neccessity when boating. :confused:

...each to his own, I guess.

Do you ever watch swamp people?:D

scott023
06-17-2011, 12:53 PM
America .... lol

You're not kidding. Businessmen out on sales calls carrying automatic handguns? Yikes.

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Do you ever watch swamp people?:D

Some of those people shouldn't be using firearms at all!!! haha I'm surprised they don't accidentally shoot themselves sometimes.

scott023
06-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Thankfully, they are all the way on the other side of the Country or I would have found a gun to shoot them! lol

My team didn't make it, but I would hope that if they did and lost, people wouldn't be as completely retarded as the Canucks fans are.

Safe to say when the chance of your team making it in the next 25 years are slim to none. :D

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 12:56 PM
You're not kidding. Businessmen out on sales calls carrying automatic handguns? Yikes.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.:D

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Some of those people shouldn't be using firearms at all!!! haha I'm surprised they don't accidentally shoot themselves sometimes.

Choot em Jerome!!!:D

scott023
06-17-2011, 01:01 PM
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.:D

Wow. Just wow.

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Safe to say when the chance of your team making it in the next 25 years are slim to none. :D

I'm a Habs fan so my chances are a little better then if I was a Leafs fan, haha

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Wow. Just wow.

I figured I would quote Ice Cube on that.:D

Brian B
06-17-2011, 01:07 PM
The Canadians in this thread sound like pussies. haha

America, fock ya!

scott023
06-17-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm a Habs fan so my chances are a little better then if I was a Leafs fan, haha

HA. That is true. :D:D:D

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Doo I own two keltec 32's, keltec 380 ,ruger lcp and a diamondback 380. Keltec makes the LCP for ruger. And the diamondback is made by two guys that use to work for keltec. You should try the LCP it is a cleaner looking gun.

I thought about it, actually, I like the LC9. I have been thinking replacing my trusty kel tec with the Ruger LC9. It's less than an inch longer, taller and barely any wider than the LCP. I have considered it for the roughly 35% more ballistic energy.

DemolitionMan
I just feel like it is a dangerous world that we live in and it never hurt's to be prepared.

scott023
I figured I would quote Ice Cube on that.:D

Hence my wow. Didn't think he'd be quoted on here. :D

scott023
06-17-2011, 01:09 PM

America, fock ya!

You're the coolest. Let's see how tough you are without your gun. I'm sure everyone feels like Charles Bronson with a weapon tucked in your waistband.

craig3972
06-17-2011, 01:10 PM

America, fock ya!

your not allowed to protect yourself in Canada - they throw you in jail for that

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 01:12 PM
It's easier than carrying a cop on your back, so a hand gun in today's world is a no brainer for me.

JeromeM
your not allowed to protect yourself in Canada - they throw you in jail for that

What are they going to rob from us? Our snow machine and igloo? lol

Brian B
You're the coolest. Let's see how tough you are without your gun. I'm sure everyone feels like Charles Bronson with a weapon tucked in your waistband.

I'm plenty tough without my gun. I also practice mma 3 times a week. I feel like charles bronson when I'm taking a dump! haha

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2011, 01:20 PM

I really wanted to stay out of this thread, but I can't help but ask this question...........do you want the only people around you to be armed to be the criminals, or is it OK if some of them are registered and approved concealed carry permit holders?

ShamrockIV
06-17-2011, 01:21 PM

from what i have found out, keltec let the patent run out and ruger blatantly copied. it. i like my keltec. i have shot both. not sit at the range and shoot all day kinda guns. ammo cost was suprising too. good thing mine is strictly for carrying

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 01:23 PM
I really wanted to stay out of this thread, but I can't help but ask this question...........do you want the only people around you to be armed to be the criminals, or is it OK if some of them are registered and approved concealed carry permit holders?

I think you are less likely to have a crime if everyone is carring a firearm. You don't see to many shooting ranges getting robbed.

scott023
06-17-2011, 01:25 PM
I think you are less likely to have a crime if everyone is carring a firearm. You don't see to many shooting ranges getting robbed.

HAHAHAHAHA. True enough.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2011, 01:25 PM

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I am completely in favor of carry permits. I don't want the only armed people to be the criminals.

bigmac
06-17-2011, 01:26 PM

Charles Bronson? Really? You're going to go with Charles Bronson? :rolleyes:

http://SSEquine.net/canadahat.jpg

Tried the KelTec awhile ago...even after the recommended "fluff and buff", it fed unreliably. Currently, if I carry at all, I use a Walther PPS.

http://SSEquine.net/ppss2.jpg

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 01:27 PM

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 01:27 PM

I would rather less people be carrying weapons. I guess since I live in the suburbs and never really go into the "city" I don't even think twice about it. Even in some areas of Toronto there are shootings, but usually in the "ghetto".

I would rather not get caught in between gun fight and get shot. Much happier with less people having guns on them.

scott023
06-17-2011, 01:28 PM

Keep on thinking that. :rolleyes:

ShamrockIV

charles bronson???? come on man. at least go with dirty harry or somebosy cool!! lol

JeromeM
Maybe I should start locking the door to my house, haha

scott023
06-17-2011, 01:29 PM
charles bronson???? come on man. at least go with dirty harry or somebosy cool!! lol

Ok. Let's run with Dirty Harry then. I'm cool with that. :D

ShamrockIV
06-17-2011, 01:31 PM
I would rather less people be carrying weapons. I guess since I live in the suburbs and never really go into the "city" I don't even think twice about it. Even in some areas of Toronto there are shootings, but usually in the "ghetto".

I would rather not get caught in between gun fight and get shot. Much happier with less people having guns on them.

every state in the U.S. where concealed carry has been passed the crime rates have dropped.

Mr. Criminal " hmmm maybe that guy has a gun on him maybe i should not rob him cause he might put 6 hydro shoks in my A$$"

scott023
06-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Just so I'm clear I see no problem with citizens with permits to carry. No problem at all. I simply find it weird to come on a public forum and brag about it. And to state that "there have been times when I wish I did have my gun on the boat with me." Going to pop a cap in a BU driver for wrecking the slalom course?

ShamrockIV
06-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Ok. Let's run with Dirty Harry then. I'm cool with that. :D

lol

"this is the keltec P3AT. The World's least powerfull but most easily concealed handgun and it can still blow your head clean off. do u feel lucky? punk! do yah??"

lol

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Just so I'm clear I see no problem with citizens with permits to carry. No problem at all. I simply find it weird to come on a public forum and brag about it. And to state that "there have been times when I wish I did have my gun on the boat with me." Going to pop a cap in a BU driver for wrecking the slalom course?

Very well stated, sir.

captain planet
06-17-2011, 01:35 PM

Easiest boat to sink, just aim for the hollow stringers.

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 01:36 PM
May be my next purchase..........

scott023
06-17-2011, 01:39 PM
lol

"this is the keltec P3AT. The World's least powerfull but most easily concealed handgun and it can still blow your head clean off. do u feel lucky? punk! do yah??"

lol

ROTFLMAO. :D

scott023
06-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Easiest boat to sink, just aim for the hollow stringers.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Funny because it's true.

ShamrockIV
06-17-2011, 01:41 PM
May be my next purchase..........

i would look at the ruger the taurus or the kel tec first. all can be had the the laser sights if u think that is a must. at the ranges u can legaly defend ur self. lazer sights aint gonna matter.

plus in my honest opinion and years of gun ownership. smith and wesson has never made a decent automatic.

jay
06-17-2011, 01:43 PM
+1 for CCW.

+1 for those who can and do excercise maritime CCW.

I am not sure my comments on the whole no need for personal protection in the USA are appropriate, so I will skip that since I value TeamTalk and my account.

Personally, on my fishing boat CCW is no issue at all (about my person).
With the MC it is usually a different story since I am frequently in and out of the boat and water and have small kids aboard...

WRT legality of maritime CCW, we are in the commonwealth of VA, so no CCW issues down here y'all. I did have one encounter with an LEO where I ended up getting a lecture for not having my side arm "readily available for use if needed" (chambered). I will never forget that and it came in as good advice years later, if that makes sense. Does that count?

scott023
06-17-2011, 01:46 PM
+1 for CCW.

I am not sure my comments on the whole no need for personal protection in the USA are appropriate, so I will skip that since I value TeamTalk and my account.

With the MC it is usually a different story since I am frequently in and out of the boat and water and have small kids aboard...

WRT legality of maritime CCW, we are in the commonwealth of VA, so no CCW issues down here y'all. I did have one encounter with an LEO where I ended up getting a lecture for not having my side arm "readily available for use if needed" (chambered). I will never forget that and it came in as good advice years later, if that makes sense. Does that count?

Not sure which post you read that in...

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 01:47 PM
This is a great video....................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyoLuTjguJA

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2011, 01:48 PM
+1 for CCW.

Not bad at all for post #10. You appear to be a great addition to TT.

Restraint can be a difficult thing to come by around here some days.

pram
06-17-2011, 01:56 PM

How about this???

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 01:57 PM
This is a great video....................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyoLuTjguJA

I think this video, at 5:41 highlights the key issue as to why myself as a Canadian feels so different: "Canada has the same firearms heritage as the US yet a fraction of the crime, reason, Guns are not the problem, People are the problem"

I think we just don't have the crime rate here as you guys do therefore no need for guns to defend ourselves or protect ourselves.

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 01:59 PM
My problem is not so much that people are allowed to carry concealed weapons, it's what it's come down to for them to need to carry them. And I'm happy that it's not come to that here. not yet anyways.

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 02:01 PM

Tried the KelTec awhile ago...even after the recommended "fluff and buff", it fed unreliably. Currently, if I carry at all, I use a Walther PPS.

http://SSEquine.net/ppss2.jpg

I have shot over 1,000 rounds through my Keltec P32. I have had only one jam and that was on the second shot. That was still in the break in period.

jay
06-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Not sure which post you read that in...

Right there.

scott023
06-17-2011, 02:15 PM

+1 for CCW.

I think this video, at 5:41 highlights the key issue as to why myself as a Canadian feels so different: "Canada has the same firearms heritage as the US yet a fraction of the crime, reason, Guns are not the problem, People are the problem"

I think we just don't have the crime rate here as you guys do therefore no need for guns to defend ourselves or protect ourselves.

Right there.

Jay, I didn't read his original post as saying that there "was no need for personal protection in the USA". I think he was commenting on not needing to carry a weapon in Canada.

pram
06-17-2011, 02:18 PM
I personally have no issue with guns, I like guns, but carrying 24/7? that seems a little over the top to me

but that's just me

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Yeah, that's right Scott, it's that folks in the States NEED to carry, mind boggling. I have no issue that they are if it protects them, but it's crazy that it's come down to that.

dog paw
06-17-2011, 02:20 PM
How about this???

LOL! Center the crotch over 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue :) Oh wait thats another sore subject....

All kidding aside I have been to some shooting ranges in Kelowna that rival anything I have been too in the states....You guys aint foolin anyone with the no guns thing. The rules might be a bit different but breaking into a Canuc's house can be just as fatal as here in the US.

Brian B
06-17-2011, 02:25 PM
I personally have no issue with guns, I like guns, but carrying 24/7? that seems a little over the top to me

but that's just me

If we're talking about a law abiding gun owner.......... He practices keeping himself, his family, and his fellow American safe, what would it matter if he carried a gun for 10 minutes a week, or 24/7?

scott023
06-17-2011, 02:28 PM
If we're talking about a law abiding gun owner.......... He practices keeping himself, his family, and his fellow American safe, what would it matter if he carried a gun for 10 minutes a week, or 24/7?

So you carry when you go to your parents place for dinner on Sunday night?

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 02:30 PM

I do. The only time I do not carry my firearm is when I go to into a government building.

pram
06-17-2011, 02:36 PM
LOL! Center the crotch over 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue :) Oh wait thats another sore subject....

All kidding aside I have been to some shooting ranges in Kelowna that rival anything I have been too in the states....You guys aint foolin anyone with the no guns thing. The rules might be a bit different but breaking into a Canuc's house can be just as fatal as here in the US.

hahaha

Like I said I am not opposed to guns, I may or may not have a few

jay
06-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Jay, I didn't read his original post as saying that there "was no need for personal protection in the USA". I think he was commenting on not needing to carry a weapon in Canada.

If I incorrectly inferred the implided meaning from the gentlemen's comment that included "I am in the US often enough and I have never felt the need to carry a weapon". Then you are indeed correct.

In either case, genesis for my post was just to share my personal experience with respect to CCW and Maritime CCW. It isn't for everyone, but not unlike a lot of folks here, I grew up in the culture of being armed unless explicitly having a reason for not; not the other way around...

...headed to the lake. Have a good weekend.

scott023
06-17-2011, 02:49 PM
If I incorrectly inferred the implided meaning from the gentlemen's comment that included "I am in the US often enough and I have never felt the need to carry a weapon". Then you are indeed correct.

In either case, genesis for my post was just to share my personal experience with respect to CCW and Maritime CCW. It isn't for everyone, but not unlike a lot of folks here, I grew up in the culture of being armed unless explicitly having a reason for not; not the other way around...

...headed to the lake. Have a good weekend.

Nice, you too Jay.

captain planet
06-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Another good Youtube that relates to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

1:14......

Brian B
06-17-2011, 02:54 PM

The only time I do not carry a gun is when I go to the lake. Don't need one on the boat, and don't want to risk it getting stolen from my truck while we're out.

Brian B
06-17-2011, 02:57 PM
/thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngsKzdKNAmo

scott023
06-17-2011, 03:04 PM
I do. The only time I do not carry my firearm is when I go to into a government building.

The only time I do not carry a gun is when I go to the lake. Don't need one on the boat, and don't want to risk it getting stolen from my truck while we're out.

This is where the disbelief comes in for me. I get the concept and execution of the CC permit (for the most part :D), but to carry it into loved ones homes seems WAY over the top to me. If carrying is for protection, you need to distance yourself from your family if you feel the need to protect yourself while in their homes.

Am I crazy?

Brian B
06-17-2011, 03:06 PM
This is where the disbelief comes in for me. I get the concept and execution of the CC permit (for the most part :D), but to carry it into loved ones homes seems WAY over the top to me. If carrying is for protection, you need to distance yourself from your family if you feel the need to protect yourself while in their homes.

Am I crazy?

You should meet the nutjobs I have in my family!

pram
06-17-2011, 03:10 PM
LOL

too funny

scott023
06-17-2011, 03:11 PM

Perhaps it would be best if i didn't. I don't carry, and I don't train in MMA. :D

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 03:11 PM

Am I crazy?

Scott they make these pocket pistols so lightweight now that you forget that you are carring them.

scott023
06-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Scott they make these pocket pistols so lightweight now that you forget that you are carring them.

I get that. I really do. Comfort is important. But in your parents home??? :confused:

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 03:14 PM
I get that. I really do. Comfort is important. But in your parents home??? :confused:

Its part of my uniform watch, wallet, cell phone, sunglasses, pocket knife and pistol. You get use to it.

scott023
06-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Its part of my uniform watch, wallet, cell phone, sunglasses, pocket knife and pistol. You get use to it.

I can understand that...

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 03:17 PM
A 380 in the pocket is better than a .45 in the safe.:D

Brian B
06-17-2011, 03:23 PM
I love the Ruger LCP's! Thats my next hand gun.

Scott, it would be perfectly acceptable for me to walk into my folks house, my sisters house, friends, ect and place my hand gun on the counter top. Nobody would bat an eye. (Except maybe my db liberal brother)

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 03:25 PM

Scott, it would be perfectly acceptable for me to walk into my folks house, my sisters house, friends, ect and place my hand gun on the counter top. Nobody would bat an eye. (Except maybe my db liberal brother)

I say keep in your pocket and no one knows the difference. Unless your a congressman from New York who has problems keeping it concealed.:D

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2011, 03:30 PM
I say keep in your pocket and no one knows the difference. Unless your a congressman from New York who has problems keeping it concealed.:D

Now that's funny.

pram

see now this I think is wrong

a loaded gun on a counter top?

nothing good could come of that

I don't give a **** who you are, guns are tools, they need to be respected and that is a far cry from doing that

scott023

Hell, why not snap some pics of it and post them up. :rolleyes::D:D

ShamrockIV
06-17-2011, 03:33 PM
A 380 in the pocket is better than a .45 in the safe.:D

amen.

sorry ma'am but ur husband left his gun at home cause he was going to his parents. we are sorry for ur loss

bigmac
06-17-2011, 03:39 PM
I have shot over 1,000 rounds through my Keltec P32. I have had only one jam and that was on the second shot. That was still in the break in period.

Anecdotes aside, the KelTecs are well-known for their finicky ammunition handling.

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 03:39 PM
amen.

sorry ma'am but ur husband left his gun at home cause he was going to his parents. we are sorry for ur loss

When I was 14 year's old a girl in my school dad was killed when two thugs walked in and robbed his tire store. The day I turned 21 I applied for my concealed firearms and carry permit.

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 03:42 PM
107 post in less then 3 hours.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Hot topic.

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Being a demolition contractor we don't actually go in the best area's of town. It makes me feel a little safer knowing that I have protection.

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 03:51 PM
I don't even know anyone who carries a pocket knife when them, LOL

frosty
06-17-2011, 03:52 PM

Am I crazy?

The reason to carry into your loved ones' home, is to protect your loved ones.
IE from a home invasion, etc.

Brian B
06-17-2011, 03:52 PM
see now this I think is wrong

a loaded gun on a counter top?

nothing good could come of that

I don't give a **** who you are, guns are tools, they need to be respected and that is a far cry from doing that

With all due respect, you're an idiot if you think placing a holstered gun on a counter top is "wrong". What could possibly go wrong? Someone kicks in the front door with a weapon with the intent to harm my family and I have my loaded firearm within reach? Get the eff out of here!

You're a liberal arent you?

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2011, 03:54 PM

I suppose you don't even use a knife to cut your food, just the side of your spoon (no forks, either-too sharp)?

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 04:00 PM
I suppose you don't even use a knife to cut your food, just the side of your spoon (no forks, either-too sharp)?

I have a VERY nice set of knifes to cut my food...but they stay in the kitchen on the wall.

Really, no one I know carries a pocket knife.

Also, are you guys saying there is legit a possibility of a home invasion, when there are people in it, say at dinner time with a group of people home? :confused:

Kyle
06-17-2011, 04:04 PM

Nice Breitling.

I too have the same uniform but add keys. :D

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Nice Breitling.

I too have the same uniform but add keys. :D

Thanks its a colt.

Forgot to add the keys.

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 04:07 PM
I have a VERY nice set of knifes to cut my food...but they stay in the kitchen on the wall.

Also, are you guys saying there is legit a possibility of a home invasion, when there are people in it, say at dinner time with a group of people home? :confused:

Just go on youtube and search home invasion. You would be shocked.

Brian B
06-17-2011, 04:08 PM

Are you effing kidding? Are they censoring news from you guys as well?

Kyle
06-17-2011, 04:10 PM

I do every day. They are a tool not for protection. I would much rather give a good ole ars whipping than stab someone. But that's would not be needed as I carry a firearm.

Reason.

If you gave me information or money to invest I'm pretty sure you would want it safe. Just say you rolled over your 750k 401k or IRA, would you rather have it riding with someone who will defend if or just hand it right on over when a thief says give me your truck.

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 04:11 PM

LOL I really don't care about US news (sorry) but I mean, here, maybe once a year you'll hear about a home invasion when people are home. Usually they are sleeping and it's the middle of the night and they didn't know anyone was home.

If someone's home, that pretty much doesn't happen at all.

Brian B
06-17-2011, 04:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuhKCiY-lu0&feature=related

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 04:15 PM
I do every day. They are a tool not for protection. I would much rather give a good ole ars whipping than stab someone. But that's would not be needed as I carry a firearm.

Reason.

If you gave me information or money to invest I'm pretty sure you would want it safe. Just say you rolled over your 750k 401k or IRA, would you rather have it riding with someone who will defend if or just hand it right on over when a thief says give me your truck.

I get the pocket knife is not protection, but still not part of the "Uniform" :)

I was hanging out at a BBQ Competition north of Atlanta last summer and they cooked up some steaks, gave me mine with no utensils. I asked how I am supposed to eat this and he told me to cut it up with my pocket knife. I looked at him awkwardly and then he lent me a spare one, LOL

Brian B
06-17-2011, 04:15 PM
LOL I really don't care about US news (sorry)

If you're ignorant to a topic, dont comment on it.

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 04:17 PM

Well, I can't say what I want to say.....

But that stuff doesn't happen here. Not yet anyways so hopefully it will stay that way :D

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 04:19 PM

Huh? I'm getting informed now, aren't I? :confused:

Brian B
06-17-2011, 04:20 PM

:D

And I know what you want to say. Unfortunately, here in the southwest, this is our reality.

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 04:21 PM

But that stuff doesn't happen here. Not yet anyways so hopefully it will stay that way :D

Really........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wl7WFlPwA0

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 04:22 PM
And I know what you want to say. Unfortunately, here in the southwest, this is our reality.

Right, which sucks, and is why I don't blame everyone for carrying, but at the same time, thankful that we don't have that problem here.

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Really........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wl7WFlPwA0

Did you listen to the video? They went into the home demanding a package so they were looking something specific. once they realized it wasn't there they realized it must have been the wrong house and left..........

The kid died, but there was no apparent injury's to the kid, so the kid wasn't killed by the robbers.....

Actually, they knocked on the door first, lol

ShamrockIV
06-17-2011, 04:30 PM
my home invasion worry is me rolling in the driveway and somebody already in the house and trying to get out. only one way to and from my house.

scott023
06-17-2011, 04:30 PM

Viktimize
06-17-2011, 04:33 PM
The thought of everyone around me carrying a concealed weapon, not good.

And that is exactly the point of concealed carry. Because the criminals feel the same way. It is nothing short of pathetic that they with hold this right from us in Canada.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2011, 04:35 PM
LOL I really don't care about US news (sorry) but I mean, here, maybe once a year you'll hear about a home invasion when people are home. Usually they are sleeping and it's the middle of the night and they didn't know anyone was home.

In Totonto, from 2007 - 2010 105 people were shot and killed . In that same period, 581 people were were non-fataly shot. Take your head out of the sand, or quit pulling our legs.

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/statistics/ytd_stats.php

psychobilly
06-17-2011, 04:40 PM

That's not the ones you should be worrying about. It's the loons that are waving them around is the ones you need to be worrying about.

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 04:40 PM

Same here, I have put several 100 through my P3AT and never jammed. I only shoot a few clips through it every other month.

scott023
06-17-2011, 04:42 PM
In Totonto, from 2007 - 2010 105 people were shot and killed . In that same period, 581 people were were non-fataly shot. Take your head out of the sand, or quit pulling our legs.

Chill out Pete, and take your research a step further. How many of those deaths and non fataly wounded were a result of home invasions? As that is what Jerome has commented on a lack of, would be only fair to quote numbers on that subject before telling him to pull his head out of the sand.

scott023
06-17-2011, 04:43 PM
That's not the ones you should be worrying about. It's the loons that are waving them around is the ones you need to be worrying about.

Very very true.

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 04:43 PM

BINGO!!!!!

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 04:49 PM

Seriously? there is 2.5 million people in Toronto.....and these are usually in "sketchy" areas. Not a reason to start worrying about it.

oxberger
06-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Sorry, I'm late to the party. This is a great topic. Fully believe in CCW. I don't have mine yet but hopefully soon. I have a friend of mine that doesn't go anywhere without his and that includes the lake here (no kids on the boat though and everyone on board owns at least one firearm). I have another friend that is a bartender in downtown Nashville and on weekends carries a lot of money. He got his for protection and has actually had to pull it out. Luckily the person trying to rob him didn't want to die that night turned and ran.

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 04:55 PM
The reason to carry into your loved ones' home, is to protect your loved ones.
IE from a home invasion, etc.

Exactly right! My ex used to b**** about my carrying when I went to her house. One night, right after her 3 year old daughter went to sleep, we heard something front that side of the house. I told her I was going outside to check it out and to lock me out (I had a key). I went around the side of the house and confronted a guy trying to get a block to stand on by the 3 year old's window. When I came around the corner, I was armed and aimed, yelled "HEY", he turned, and hauled *** into the woods. (FL law, cannot shoot in the back) I came back into the house just as my g/f was on the phone with 911. She never once said a word about it since.

Viktimize
06-17-2011, 04:55 PM

Correction!! You don't HEAR about it happening. Your statement even though wrong, still does nothing to give support to your point. Even in the rare instance that we have home invasions(compared to the US), why shouldn't that home owner be given the opportunity to defend themselves and their property?? I've had my share of instances where I would've been much better off carrying, but for some unknown reason I am denied that right in this country.

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 04:56 PM

Damn man, it happens everyday... even during the daytime!

Viktimize
06-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Seriously? there is 2.5 million people in Toronto.....and these are usually in "sketchy" areas. Not a reason to start worrying about it.

When you calculate the odds it might not be a reason to worry. But how would you feel if you were one the few unlucky ones who could've protected themselves?? Oh well, collateral damage right :rolleyes:

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 05:01 PM
When you calculate the odds it might not be a reason to worry. But how would you feel if you were one the few unlucky ones who could've protected themselves?? Oh well, collateral damage right :rolleyes:

If you start to worry about ish like that, you will never leave your house, or underground bunker for that matter. The odds of getting killed by a drunk driver or just a car accident are far worse yet I drive all the time.....

scott023
06-17-2011, 05:01 PM

Fudge man, go get yourself a gun and carry it. Worry about the consequences later. No point living life afraid of what could happen should you not have a gun... :rolleyes:

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 05:03 PM
My parents live in a very nice area in the suburbs and a house 3 down from them got robbed while they were home one night. It doesn't matter where you live, it f'ing happens all the time.

SWeaver
06-17-2011, 05:04 PM
HAHAHAHAHA. True enough.

Google cheshire connecticut home invasion. this case was near me. i was the victim in a night home invasion as well, but i think thy thought we werent home and fled quickly. my aunt walked in on a home robbery too. i consider myself adequately protected and trained now. hope you are luckier than some of us have been.

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 05:05 PM
My whole family carries, even my grandfather.

pram
06-17-2011, 05:08 PM
With all due respect, you're an idiot if you think placing a holstered gun on a counter top is "wrong". What could possibly go wrong? Someone kicks in the front door with a weapon with the intent to harm my family and I have my loaded firearm within reach? Get the eff out of here!

hahahaha

a liberal? yeah that's it

no more than you're an inbred hillbilly, oh wait that might not be a good comparison

loaded guns on the counter is not normal, I hate to tell you

like i said before I have no issue with guns, none at all

but a loaded handgun on a counter is so far beyond 100% paranoia that a normal, rational person could not condone it

perhaps if you are that concerned about a home invasion, you should seriously consider relocating your family to a safer neighbor hood

out of curiosity, how many surveillance camera's?

how big is the fence?

how many dogs?

how tall is the jacked up F350? or is it a Duramax (that's what you like it to be called right)

yall have a secret handshake and bumper sticker that doesn't mean anything to anyone else and when you are asked about it, people go missing?

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Most everyone I know has a gun stashed in every part of the house they are in. Family room, bed room, den.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Chill out Pete, and take your research a step further. How many of those deaths and non fataly wounded were a result of home invasions? As that is what Jerome has commented on a lack of, would be only fair to quote numbers on that subject before telling him to pull his head out of the sand.

2911 break and enter so far this year. They don't break it down any further. Clearly not the paradise JeromeM would have us believe.

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/statistics/crime_indicators.php

pram
06-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Most everyone I know has a gun stashed in every part of the house they are in. Family room, bed room, den.

proven fact that people of like mindset, run together

doesn't make it the norm though

oxberger
06-17-2011, 05:15 PM

Same here. I personally see nothing wrong with a holstered gun being on the counter in front of the family. My wife grew up with things like that and was also taught gun safety and knew the only time to touch something like that.

scott023
06-17-2011, 05:17 PM
2911 break and enter so far this year. They don't break it down any further. Clearly not the paradise JeromeM would have us believe.

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/statistics/crime_indicators.php

Don't think he said anything about paradise, anyone that knows Ontario knows it's anything but that. :rotf:

Back on topic, compare a US city with similar population and look at home invasions. Might be eye opening. No go do your homework. :D

Viktimize
06-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Fudge man, go get yourself a gun and carry it. Worry about the consequences later. No point living life afraid of what could happen should you not have a gun... :rolleyes:

You guys seem to miss the entire point. It's not that I'm afraid to go out in the world, but in a hairy situation I'd rather just have the opportunity to protect myself and loved ones. As opposed to having to take care of it physically and risk getting a beating or stabbed.

Perfect example, just last weekend I had to witness a guy on top of my GF pummeling her like he was in a UFC fight. If I had been carrying, that would've ended immediately. Instead I had to go knock him off of her, then turn around to throw off his 2 friends that were going to jump me. And once the police finally showed up these guys were already running away. At the same time as my GF was getting beat on, our other friend was being kicked in the head by 4 guys on the ground. So far they have not been found and are out roaming free. Had I been carrying, the guy on top of my GF would be sitting in jail with a bullet hole in his torso, or he would be 6ft under(exactly where a POS like that belongs).

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Don't think he said anything about paradise, anyone that knows Ontario knows it's anything but that. :rotf:

Back on topic, compare a US city with similar population and look at home invasions. Might be eye opening. No go do your homwork. :D

That's enough work for me. I am happy to prove someone wrong, but I don't often go looking for work to do when I have plenty to do as it is. Want to buy some tires?

oxberger
06-17-2011, 05:22 PM
That's enough work for me. I am happy to prove someone wrong, but I don't often go looking for work to do when I have plenty to do as it is. Want to buy some tires?

Pete, you crack me up.

Viktimize
06-17-2011, 05:24 PM

Really though, there is no homework to do. What does comparing invasion rates have to do with anything?? If there is even one invasion, that right there is adequate grounds to arm yourself in case you happen to be the 2nd victim.

scott023
06-17-2011, 05:27 PM
You guys seem to miss the entire point. It's not that I'm afraid to go out in the world, but in a hairy situation I'd rather just have the opportunity to protect myself and loved ones. As opposed to having to take care of it physically and risk getting a beating or stabbed.
Perfect example, just last weekend I had to witness a guy on top of my GF pummeling her like he was in a UFC fight. If I had been carrying, that would've ended immediately. Instead I had to go knock him off of her, then turn around to throw off his 2 friends that were going to jump me. And once the police finally showed up these guys were already running away. At the same time as my GF was getting beat on, our other friend was being kicked in the head by 4 guys on the ground. So far they have not been found and are out roaming free. Had I been carrying, the guy on top of my GF would be sitting in jail with a bullet hole in his torso, or he would be 6ft under(exactly where a POS like that belongs).

I get your point, no two ways about it. It's not an option for us at this point, and complaining about it on a US open forum sure as heck isn't going to do any good. :D

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 05:29 PM
There's a difference between a B & E and someone invading my home with automatic machine guns.

Sure there are robberies and break and enters but unarmed Joe Blow trying to take my TV, not the same.

scott023
Pete, you crack me up.

Can you believe how lazy he is??? He's basically in a cast too, so it's not like he has running around to do. :D:D:D

Viktimize
I get your point, no two ways about it. It's not an option for us at this point, and complaining about it on a US open forum sure as heck isn't going to do any good. :D

We are sharing opinions. You shared yours, but I'm not allowed to share mine??

scott023
06-17-2011, 05:30 PM
We are sharing opinions. You shared yours, but I'm not allowed to share mine??

Absofreakinglutely you are. Just saying that one point isn't going to be hashed out on here, that's all.

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 05:30 PM
This is a great thread!!!!!

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 05:31 PM

Seriously? I can tell you that this would never ever happen. Why were guys beating on your GF? Man, that's sketchy. Not sure if it's age or something but man, that's weird.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Really though, there is no homework to do. What does comparing invasion rates have to do with anything?? If there is even one invasion, that right there is adequate grounds to arm yourself in case you happen to be the 2nd victim.

I couldn't agree more. Most people are welcome in my house if they knock first, just don't try coming without knocking.

Plave
06-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Coming from the UK I find the idea of taking a firearm wakeboarding totally bizarre.

As for the wider issue, although I can't imagine carrying a firearm here I think both the UK and the US have the right policies for their societies. There are virtually none here in the UK and therefore no reason for anyone to carry them and on the flipside there are way too many in the US for it to be sensible to take them away from lawful citizens.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Can you believe how lazy he is??? He's basically in a cast too, so it's not like he has running around to do. :D:D:D

Down to the knee brace now. Much more mobile.

scott023
06-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Down to the knee brace now. Much more mobile.

Good to know.

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Coming from the UK I find the idea of taking a firearm wakeboarding totally bizarre.

As for the wider issue, although I can't imagine carrying a firearm here I think both the UK and the US have the right policies for their societies. There are virtually none here in the UK and therefore no reason for anyone to carry them and on the flipside there are way too many in the US for it to be sensible to take them away from lawful citizens.

The UK just has more stabbings now.

pram
06-17-2011, 05:37 PM
what you were a runner before?

Back and forth to the truck to head for the local piggly wiggly don't count there pal

Plave
06-17-2011, 05:39 PM
The UK just has more stabbings now.

More now? Nah, We've been stabbing each other for 2500 years, just the swords got shorter is all.

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/8000/8070/king_arthur_8070_lg.gif

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2011, 05:40 PM

From history class I seem to recall a certain individual who decided to take away all the guns away from the people. His initials were A. H.

Viktimize
06-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Seriously? I can tell you that this would never ever happen. Why were guys beating on your GF? Man, that's sketchy. Not sure if it's age or something but man, that's weird.

Well I can tell you that it did happen. It's the typical BS, a bunch of guys who had just watched UFC were out that night looking for a scrap. They tried to pick one with us. My GF told the main guy trying to get us to fight to screw off and quit being such a loser. Once the bouncers threw them all out of the bar, they just waited for us to come out and thought it was a good idea to deck my GF, and then drag her down the street to beat the sh!t out of her. Luckily for me I know how to handle myself, but I would've hated to be a guy who wasn't able to handle himself. But one thing I know is that if I was carrying, I would have one less blackeye, culprit would be in jail, and my GF would be in a lot better shape. Her Monroe piercing was pushed right through her face while she was getting punched, she has a huge swollen black eye, scrathces and bruises all over her body.

I'm 29 years old btw, so it's not like we are some cocky young punks out looking for trouble.

Only point I was making is that this kind of stuff DOES happen, and happens regularly enough. If you guys have never had to experience it then I envy you, but if you were able to put yourself in the shoes of a person it has happened to, you might think differently.

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 05:42 PM
From history class I seem to recall a certain individual who decided to take away all the guns away from the people. His initials were A. H.

I believe the people that defeated him may have had guns.

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Well I can tell you that it did happen. It's the typical BS, a bunch of guys who had just watched UFC were out that night looking for a scrap. They tried to pick one with us. My GF told the main guy trying to get us to fight to screw off and quit being such a loser. Once the bouncers threw them all out of the bar, they just waited for us to come out and thought it was a good idea to deck my GF, and then drag her down the street to beat the sh!t out of her. Luckily for me I know how to handle myself, but I would've hated to be a guy who wasn't able to handle himself. But one thing I know is that if I was carrying, I would have one less blackeye, culprit would be in jail, and my GF would be in a lot better shape. Her Monroe piercing was pushed right through her face while she was getting punched, she has a huge swollen black eye, scrathces and bruises all over her body.

I'm 29 years old btw, so it's not like we are some cocky young punks out looking for trouble.

Only point I was making is that this kind of stuff DOES happen, and happens regularly enough. If you guys have never had to experience it then I envy you, but if you were able to put yourself in the shoes of a person it has happened to, you might think differently.

Sorry to hear that. Some people are just animals.

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Exactly right! My ex used to b**** about my carrying when I went to her house. One night, right after her 3 year old daughter went to sleep, we heard something front that side of the house. I told her I was going outside to check it out and to lock me out (I had a key). I went around the side of the house and confronted a guy trying to get a block to stand on by the 3 year old's window. When I came around the corner, I was armed and aimed, yelled "HEY", he turned, and hauled *** into the woods. (FL law, cannot shoot in the back) I came back into the house just as my g/f was on the phone with 911. She never once said a word about it since.

^^^^

My example is another good one, had I not had a weapon, I would not have went out and confronted the guy. But I would have either been forced to try and take him down if he got inside or died in the process. After the cops came (15 MINUTES LATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!) In 15 minutes, we all could have been cold by then... I told them what happen and what I did. The officer asked if the weapon was in the house, he took it, unloaded it and left it. He also stated that as long as the suspect was making a attempt to enter the house, and I did not shoot him when he turned to run, all is legal. Later, found the same guy at another house and arrested him.

Viktimize, I am so sorry to hear that! Lucky for you and your g/f, you could defend yourself. Glad to hear that you guys are okay. If it were me, they would be in the ground.

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 05:46 PM

LOL too funny! Epic thread!!

scott023
06-17-2011, 05:47 PM

X2. That's beyond disgusting.

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 05:48 PM
He unloaded it?

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2011, 05:51 PM

You are correct, sir!

Viktimize
06-17-2011, 05:52 PM

I can understand if someone doesn't believe the story. If I didn't see it first hand, I wouldn't believe it either. Apologize for seeming so over the top about this whole subject if that's how I come off. But I have been a pretty pi$$ed off person as of late due to that whole situation.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2011, 05:56 PM
I can understand if someone doesn't believe the story. If I didn't see it first hand, I wouldn't believe it either. Apologize for seeming so over the top about this whole subject if that's how I come off. But I have been a pretty pi$$ed off person as of late due to that whole situation.

That would sure do it. There is no explaining the behavior of some of the morons running lose breathing our air.

DooSPX
He unloaded it?

correct sir. He pulled the clip and took the round out of the chamber, then put it back on the dresser where it was sitting. I did not care, nor think anything about it. He probably felt safer with it unloaded. More power to him.

scott023

Sure as heck can't blame you for that. Keep us informed of the investigation.

DooSPX

That was recent then?

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2011, 05:59 PM
correct sir. He pulled the clip and took the round out of the chamber, then put it back on the dresser where it was sitting. I did not care, nor think anything about it. He probably felt safer with it unloaded. More power to him.

Standard policy. When the donut eaters show up, they don't know the good guys from the bad guys. Just a safety thing.

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 06:00 PM

i fully believe you, just would never be in that situation. Not good.

I'm pretty sure if I moved to the US, I would think about carrying, but would I move if I then had to contemplate carrying compared to not having to worry about it here..I don't know.

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 06:01 PM

Standard policy. When the donut eaters show up, they don't know the good guys from the bad guys. Just a safety thing.

I was just curious. I have never heard of that if you had already put the firearm up.

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 06:02 PM
i fully believe you, just would never be in that situation. Not good.

I'm pretty sure if I moved to the US, I would think about carrying, but would I move if I then had to contemplate carrying compared to not having to worry about it here..I don't know.

I believe that happened to him in Canada.

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Yes, I know a few people that went through something similar and they all did that.

psychobilly
06-17-2011, 06:03 PM
This is a great thread!!!!!

lmao I can't keep up with it!!! every time I get to the last page there's another one!!! LMAO

Viktimize
06-17-2011, 06:07 PM
That was recent then?

This was last saturday night.

Hoping the police can track down the main guy. Officer handling the investigation seemed optimistic, so I guess that's good.

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Damn dude, good luck. I am so glad to hear that you and your g/f are okay!

JeromeM
06-17-2011, 06:11 PM
I believe that happened to him in Canada.

Sure, of course there's crime here, just not to the point where it makes "most" people think about the need to own a gun. There's shootings and B&E's and stick ups and stuff, just not to the same level as you guys I guess.

And I think a lot of it is situational, the area your in, the people you are with etc. play a big part in what happens. I'm not denying the fact that I could get mugged while going to the grocery store in a nice part of town, just not something that you think about.

SWeaver
06-17-2011, 06:16 PM
There's a difference between a B & E and someone invading my home with automatic machine guns.

Sure there are robberies and break and enters but unarmed Joe Blow trying to take my TV, not the same.

If you can make that distinction before he kills you, you are a better man than i. Personally, dont care why hes there.

Viktimize
06-17-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm not denying the fact that I could get mugged while going to the grocery store in a nice part of town, just not something that you think about.

And that right there is the only difference, is people's train of thought. Some people prefer to be prepared for the worse whether they worry about it or not. And others prefer to just assume it won't happen to them.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Sure, of course there's crime here, just not to the point where it makes "most" people think about the need to own a gun. There's shootings and B&E's and stick ups and stuff, just not to the same level as you guys I guess.

And I think a lot of it is situational, the area your in, the people you are with etc. play a big part in what happens. I'm not denying the fact that I could get mugged while going to the grocery store in a nice part of town, just not something that you think about.

People in the U.S. carry because they can. Crime is everywhere.

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 06:39 PM
People in the U.S. carry because they can. Crime is everywhere.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!! Its better to be safe then sorry!

craig3972
06-17-2011, 06:51 PM

America, fock ya!

Correction!! You don't HEAR about it happening. Your statement even though wrong, still does nothing to give support to your point. Even in the rare instance that we have home invasions(compared to the US), why shouldn't that home owner be given the opportunity to defend themselves and their property?? I've had my share of instances where I would've been much better off carrying, but for some unknown reason I am denied that right in this country.

you have two choices in Canada
1) - defend yourself and go to jail
2) - dont defend yourself and get killed by the criminal

I dont think I couild last 5 minutes being locked up in jail, especially for killing an intrtuder in my own home. Therefore I would I choose option #2.

Canada - true north strong and free, as long as you do exactly what you aretold.

About 2 weeks ago in Alberta, a homeowner got sentenced to 1 year in jair for stabbing one intruder and killing his partner that broke into his house with the intent to kill him.

DooSPX
06-17-2011, 06:56 PM
you have two choices in Canada
1) - defend yourself and go to jail
2) - dont defend yourself and get killed by the criminal

I dont think I couild last 5 minutes being locked up in jail, especially for killing an intrtuder in my own home. Therefore I would I choose option #2.

Canada - true north strong and free, as long as you do exactly what you aretold.

About 2 weeks ago in Alberta, a homeowner got sentenced to 1 year in jair for stabbing one intruder and killing his partner that broke into his house with the intent to kill him.

SCREW THAT!!!!!!!!!!!

SWeaver
06-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Canada cant be THAT bad.

craig3972
06-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Canada cant be THAT bad.

If Victimize had a gun and shot the guy beating his GF, we would be reading about him sitting in jail right now up on murder charges - no BS

Viktimize
06-17-2011, 07:16 PM
If Victimize had a gun and shot the guy beating his GF, we would be reading about him sitting in jail right now up on murder charges - no BS

Ya our justice system is totally fuct. You hear a lot of stories about people defending themselves and going to jail for manslaughter. And then you hear a lot more stories about criminals getting off on some BS technicality.

SWeaver
06-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Yikes, thats scary. If/when i turn to a life of crime and mayhem, i'm taking my boat and moving to canada.

DemolitionMan
06-18-2011, 12:03 AM
Yikes, thats scary. If/when i turn to a life of crime and mayhem, i'm taking my boat and moving to canada.

Thats funny.

Brian B
06-18-2011, 05:40 AM
hahahaha

a liberal? yeah that's it

no more than you're an inbred hillbilly, oh wait that might not be a good comparison

loaded guns on the counter is not normal, I hate to tell you

like i said before I have no issue with guns, none at all

but a loaded handgun on a counter is so far beyond 100% paranoia that a normal, rational person could not condone it

perhaps if you are that concerned about a home invasion, you should seriously consider relocating your family to a safer neighbor hood

out of curiosity, how many surveillance camera's?

how big is the fence?

how many dogs?

how tall is the jacked up F350? or is it a Duramax (that's what you like it to be called right)

yall have a secret handshake and bumper sticker that doesn't mean anything to anyone else and when you are asked about it, people go missing?

You are a ****ing moron. How old are you?

DJ 50
06-18-2011, 12:12 PM

He would most likely go to jail in the US also.

I'm all for people being able to carry a gun and protect themselves. My biggest issue is that many who excersise this right, don't have enough training. To get a CCW what do you have to do in most areas, attend a 8 hr class? That isn't even close to enough trianing to know when and how to use your gun. Just being able to shoot a gun safley at some targets does not mean you are trained.

Again not saying people shouldn't carry nor is the directed at anyone on this site because I have no idea what training you have. Just a general statement.

JimN
06-18-2011, 12:28 PM
What are they going to rob from us? Our snow machine and igloo? lol

"Gimme all of your tooks and nobody gets hurt, eh!?"

JimN
06-18-2011, 12:36 PM

Obviously, the point of CCW is, if the robber isn't sure the potential victim is carrying, their chances of success are lower unless they walk up with guns blazing. They would prefer to get away with as little noise and attention as possible but some can't NOT shoot.

We had a situation here a few years ago- a guy walked into a crowded bar, pulled a gun and demanded that the bartender and patrons hand over their cash. Trouble was, the people were having a retirement party for a fellow police officer. I would imagine the guy saw the same thing as the Blues Brothers, when they were in the tax assessor's office and the doors were forced open.

DemolitionMan
06-18-2011, 12:37 PM

JimN
06-18-2011, 12:43 PM

Yup. You would need to protect yourself if you had the same people up there. High population density means more people who don't like each other coming into personal contact and it also means a higher number of potential victims.

If you read about the crimes that are usually committed in US inner cities, it's mostly people robbing others from that area and far less random acts in other areas. They often know each other and very often, the people involved have a criminal record. In suburban areas, the crimes are mostly shoplifting, car theft, bank robberies, DUI and drug use/dealing. However, this isn't an absolute.

JimN
06-18-2011, 12:55 PM

If you use explosives, I can definitely see a good reason to carry. It's bad enough that people who shouldn't, have guns. If they get their hands on explosives, I can't imagine what would happen.

DemolitionMan
06-18-2011, 01:02 PM
If you use explosives, I can definitely see a good reason to carry. It's bad enough that people who shouldn't, have guns. If they get their hands on explosives, I can't imagine what would happen.

No explosives. Less than 1/10th of 1% of demolition is done with explosives. Just bad people in bad neighborhoods.

JimN
06-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Very very true.

Ever seen these?

JimN
06-18-2011, 01:23 PM

It's not that we want to return to The Wild West, but most of us are sick of seeing criminals released early & returning to their criminal ways, people committing felonies and pleading down to some BS aggravated assault charge or getting off because nobody read them their rights. Here in Wisconsin, a guy was released from prison after early release for attempted murder and 4 hours later, he shot and killed someone. IIRC, he shot four and killed one. However, where this happened has nothing to do with where I live and where I go in Milwaukee. If anyone comes to Milwaukee and doesn't know where they're going, it's not a good idea to get off of the freeway and drive anywhere within one mile of the freeway if they're less than 5 miles from Downtown. Driving through those areas at night wouldn't end well.

JimN
06-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Slightly off topic, but what's a good choice for someone with big hands. The small pocket guns are way too small and wouldn't be comfortable/accurate. My friend's S&W 9mm shoots well but I got burned by the slide the first time I fired it.

Should I just go with the Desert Eagle, or a smaller gun?

Signed,
Ham-fisted

Brian B
06-18-2011, 01:44 PM

Classic!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Protected-2nd-Amendment-Funny-Bumper-Stickers-Decal-/220800586941?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3368bd94bd#ht_922wt_905

MNWild
06-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Slightly off topic, but what's a good choice for someone with big hands. The small pocket guns are way too small and wouldn't be comfortable/accurate. My friend's S&W 9mm shoots well but I got burned by the slide the first time I fired it.

Signed,
Ham-fisted

JimN, I'm 6'3" and have pretty large hands, I own a Ruger GP100 .357 MAGNUM with the Stainless Steel 6" barrel with the rubber modfied grip. It feels great and with 158 grain Federal Hydra Shok Jacketed Hollow Points, it WILL stop anything. When I was younger of friend's dad use to carry one as back-up when hunting Black Bear. But you couldn't go wrong with the Desert Eagle!! Gibbs Rule #9, Never go anywhere without a knife.

bigmac
06-18-2011, 02:03 PM

Let's look at the statistics a little more closely.

USA has almost 10 times the population of Canada. Canada's population density is 9 people per square mile. In the USA, it's 90 people per square mile overall, but since 80% of the USA population lives in urban areas, that doesn't tell the whole story. New Jersey, for example, has a population density of 1200 people per square mile. Crime statistics etc simply can't be used to demonstrate anything meaningful about the USA as a whole - the variation from one end of the scale to the other is simply too large.

Higher population density plus a vastly more diverse ethnicity and cultural makeup in the US means that Canada, and certainly any European country, can't be meaningfully compared to the USA, either in the way their respective histories unfolded or their general cultures as they exist today. Europeans especially, with their substantially smaller and more homogenous populations, can't begin to grasp the culture of the US, and in large part that's also due to the fact that there are vastly different cultures from region to region here. Walk down the street at night in Memphis and you take your life in your hands. OTOH, where I live I often don't bother to lock the door to my house.

I own guns, I've had a CCW for 30 years... I even own multiple "assault rifles". Yet I rarely carry a handgun and all of my firearms are locked up in a safe. I don't keep a handgun at my bedside and I know very few people around here who do. I don't own firearms for self-protection...I own them and shoot them as a hobby. Hard for other nationalities to understand, I'm sure, but most of the USA doesn't understand or care about soccer or hockey. And let's not even mention curling.

So, be careful about painting the USA with too broad a cultural brush. It doesn't compute.

JimN
06-18-2011, 02:33 PM
JimN, I'm 6'3" and have pretty large hands, I own a Ruger GP100 .357 MAGNUM with the Stainless Steel 6" barrel with the rubber modfied grip. It feels great and with 158 grain Federal Hydra Shok Jacketed Hollow Points, it WILL stop anything. When I was younger of friend's dad use to carry one as back-up when hunting Black Bear. But you couldn't go wrong with the Desert Eagle!! Gibbs Rule #9, Never go anywhere without a knife.

And Rule #18- "If you think someone is after you, they probably are".

MNWild
06-18-2011, 02:38 PM
And Rule #18- "If you think someone is after you, they probably are".

Actually #40, If it seems like someone's out to get you, they are.

JimN
06-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Hard for other nationalities to understand, I'm sure, but most of the USA doesn't understand or care about soccer or hockey. And let's not even mention curling.

So, be careful about painting the USA with too broad a cultural brush. It doesn't compute.

Minnesota doesn't corner the market on curling. The SE Wisconsin curling people are planning to build a $3.5M facility.

JimN
06-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Actually #40, If it seems like someone's out to get you, they are.

So, what is #18?

bigmac
06-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Minnesota doesn't corner the market on curling. The SE Wisconsin curling people are planning to build a $3.5M facility.

What I said was..."most of the USA doesn't care about curling". In fact, most of Minnesota and Wisconsin don't care about curling.

JimN
06-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Most of the USA doesn't care about curling. In fact, most of Minnesota and Wisconsin don't care about curling.

I think that's true until the Olympics is on TV. I did some work for a bar/restaurant and I got there one evening, expecting to see something else on TV, but everyone was watching curling.

bigmac
06-18-2011, 03:15 PM
I think that's true until the Olympics is on TV. I did some work for a bar/restaurant and I got there one evening, expecting to see something else on TV, but everyone was watching curling.

I can think of at least half-a-dozen sports that most of the world doesn't care about until the Olympics are on TV. Curling, OTOH, is big in Canada all day, every day. An aspect of Canadian culture Americans don't get. Has nothing to do with Minnesota or Wisconsin, although you might find several people in either state that actually know what it is.

MNWild
06-18-2011, 03:24 PM
So, what is #18?

Rule #18: It's better to seek forgiveness than ask permission.

JimN
06-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Rule #18: It's better to seek forgiveness than ask permission.

I'm sorry. ;p

MNWild
06-18-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm sorry. ;p

:-), And if you go with the Desert Eagle, they are just cool any way you look at them.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Wow this really migrated, originally asked about laws at a certain lake and turned into olympic curling ...

pram
06-18-2011, 05:42 PM

SO YOU WON'T CARRY TO THE LAKE, BUT YOU WILL PUT A LOADED HANDGUN ON THE COUNTER ON SUNDAY NIGHT FAMILY DINNER AT MA & PA'S

America, fock ya!

WE DON'T AGREE WITH YOUR VIEW SO WE ARE PUSSIES??

I'm plenty tough without my gun. I also practice mma 3 times a week. I feel like charles bronson when I'm taking a dump! haha

YOU ASK ME HOW OLD I AM????? SERIOUSLY YOU FEEL TOUGH WHEN YOU TAKE A DUMP????

I BET YOUR FELLOW AMERICANS FEEL A LOT SAFER WITH YOU RUNNING AROUND WITH A GUN 24/7

AGAIN, SUNDAY DINNER BUT NOT ON THE WATER???? HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE

EVERYONE KNOWS HOW VIOLENT A BOAT LAUNCH CAN BE, BUT OH YEAH WAIT YOU ARE A MIXED MARTIAL ARTS EXPERT, I FORGOT FOR A SECOND THERE

/thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngsKzdKNAmo

UNFORTUNATELY I DIDN'T WATCH THIS SO I HAVE NO COMMENT ON IT

APPLE DOESN'T FALL FAR FROM THE TREE FROM THE SOUNDS OF IT

DOUCHEBAG OF A BROTHER???? I BET YOUR A RIOT AT CHRISTMAS TIME

HA, WHAT ARE THERE 125,000,000 (THAT'S MILLION IN CASE YOU CAN'T COUNT THAT HIGH) OR SO HOUSES IN THE US. YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF RETIRING OFF OF THE LOTTO. OH WAIT THAT IS PROBABLY YOUR RETIREMENT PLAN ISN'T IT????

NO MORE THAN YOU ARE CENSORED

AGAIN SORRY I DIDN'T WATCH THIS SO NO COMMENT

THAT SHOULD BE YOUR MOTTO FOR LIFE OR THIS ONE. IT'S BETTER TO STAY QUIET AND HAVE THEM THINK YOU AN IDIOT THEN TO OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND PROVE IT

:IDUNNO:

You are a ****ing moron. How old are you?

ACTUALLY I AM NOT A MORON, UNLIKE YOURSELF, MY IQ HAS MORE THAN TWO (2) DIGITS IN IT AND OVER THE AGE OF 40

people like you give the rest of your country a bad name

perhaps you should ask yourself the same question

let me guess, mid 20's bought your first boat that wasn't supplied by your daddy,

thankfully, the vast, vast, vast majority of the people that live in your great country are not complete idiots like you

NOW I AM SURE THERE WILL BE SOME WITTY COMEBACK ON YOUR PART, AND TO BE HONEST I CAN'T WAIT TO READ IT

TRY TO USE WORDS THOUGH THAT CONTAIN MORE THAN 1 OR 2 SYLLABLES, AND KEEP THE MOUTH FROTHING DOWN TO A MINIMUM, USE THE SLEEVE OF YOUR SHIRT TO WIPE IT (IF YOU HAVE ONE ON) OR THE GIRLFRIENDS TEA TOWEL

IT REALLY WILL HELP YOUR ARGUMENT IF YOU AT LEAST DON'T APPEAR TO BE STUPID

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-18-2011, 06:40 PM
arguing over the internet is like the special olympics, if you win, you're still a retard -_-

UrbantuxTN
06-18-2011, 07:00 PM
arguing over the internet is like the special olympics, if you win, you're still a retard -_-

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Insert non existent smiley's here.

2RLAKE
06-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Now that is funny ... A few of you need to take a deep breath ... Relax ... Aren't we here to have fun and relax

Oh yeah ... I did carry my Kimber today (as normal) when I went to the store ... Because I can

DemolitionMan
06-18-2011, 08:16 PM

Curling is fun to watch every four years.

bigmac
06-18-2011, 09:37 PM
SO YOU WON'T CARRY TO THE LAKE, BUT YOU WILL PUT A LOADED HANDGUN ON THE COUNTER ON SUNDAY NIGHT FAMILY DINNER AT MA & PA'S

WE DON'T AGREE WITH YOUR VIEW SO WE ARE PUSSIES??

YOU ASK ME HOW OLD I AM????? SERIOUSLY YOU FEEL TOUGH WHEN YOU TAKE A DUMP????

I BET YOUR FELLOW AMERICANS FEEL A LOT SAFER WITH YOU RUNNING AROUND WITH A GUN 24/7

AGAIN, SUNDAY DINNER BUT NOT ON THE WATER???? HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE

EVERYONE KNOWS HOW VIOLENT A BOAT LAUNCH CAN BE, BUT OH YEAH WAIT YOU ARE A MIXED MARTIAL ARTS EXPERT, I FORGOT FOR A SECOND THERE

UNFORTUNATELY I DIDN'T WATCH THIS SO I HAVE NO COMMENT ON IT

APPLE DOESN'T FALL FAR FROM THE TREE FROM THE SOUNDS OF IT

DOUCHEBAG OF A BROTHER???? I BET YOUR A RIOT AT CHRISTMAS TIME

HA, WHAT ARE THERE 125,000,000 (THAT'S MILLION IN CASE YOU CAN'T COUNT THAT HIGH) OR SO HOUSES IN THE US. YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF RETIRING OFF OF THE LOTTO. OH WAIT THAT IS PROBABLY YOUR RETIREMENT PLAN ISN'T IT????

NO MORE THAN YOU ARE CENSORED

AGAIN SORRY I DIDN'T WATCH THIS SO NO COMMENT

THAT SHOULD BE YOUR MOTTO FOR LIFE OR THIS ONE. IT'S BETTER TO STAY QUIET AND HAVE THEM THINK YOU AN IDIOT THEN TO OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND PROVE IT

:IDUNNO:

ACTUALLY I AM NOT A MORON, UNLIKE YOURSELF, MY IQ HAS MORE THAN TWO (2) DIGITS IN IT AND OVER THE AGE OF 40

people like you give the rest of your country a bad name

perhaps you should ask yourself the same question

let me guess, mid 20's bought your first boat that wasn't supplied by your daddy,

thankfully, the vast, vast, vast majority of the people that live in your great country are not complete idiots like you

NOW I AM SURE THERE WILL BE SOME WITTY COMEBACK ON YOUR PART, AND TO BE HONEST I CAN'T WAIT TO READ IT

TRY TO USE WORDS THOUGH THAT CONTAIN MORE THAN 1 OR 2 SYLLABLES, AND KEEP THE MOUTH FROTHING DOWN TO A MINIMUM, USE THE SLEEVE OF YOUR SHIRT TO WIPE IT (IF YOU HAVE ONE ON) OR THE GIRLFRIENDS TEA TOWEL

IT REALLY WILL HELP YOUR ARGUMENT IF YOU AT LEAST DON'T APPEAR TO BE STUPID

You ought to be pretty proud of that post.

bbymgr
06-18-2011, 10:22 PM

Wow.................that was hilarious.

Hrkdrivr
06-18-2011, 10:44 PM

Signed,
Ham-fisted

Look at a Springfield XDM, either in a 9mm or a 40. Both available full-size or compact. Plenty of grip for big hands, good capacity and comfortably concealable.

rjracin240
06-19-2011, 12:46 AM

America, fock ya!

WOW that is really great, grow up there Cowboy.

IF you guys want to have your guns have it, it is your right after all, but it definitely doesnt give you the right to be so insulting.

Just could not let that one go!

nascar
06-19-2011, 07:33 AM
JimN , Do you know the model of your friends S & W ? My CC is the M&P 40c and love it and will soon buy the 9mm model ( M&P 9c ) . I also have a Glock 19 , which I feel is a very good pistol . If you want a full size 9mm , take a look at the XDM9mm , shoots great and easy to clean . Never been burned by any of these pistols . But it only take one time , to know to position your hand out of the way of the slide .

bigmac
06-19-2011, 09:23 AM

Signed,
Ham-fisted

Now that it looks like concealed carry will be legal in Wisconsin, are you looking for something suitable for that, or just a general handgun? If you're looking at carry guns, the Walther PPS might work. It's a very concealable pistol, and also has different size back straps included. It's a single stack magazine, so thinner, but according to my son (large hands), the problem with large hands is not so much the thickness of the grip but the length of it....uncomfortable holding a pistol without the pinky well-supported. The PPS can be had with an extended magazine that does that well, unlike the various compacts like the Glock 26 or M&P 9c.

Have you looked at the Glocks? I'm not a huge fan...I am cosmetically opposed. I think they are too "ungraceful" a weapon, but many people like the looks, and there's no denying that it's a durable, reliable and accurate pistol. There are lots of accessories and plenty of armorers, and they have to be among the most cost-effective of the high-quality handguns. The Glock 17 is probably the best of their lineup IMHO my son has one and it fits him well.

Rather than the Glock, I elected a S&W M&P 9L. It's too big to carry well, but I use it for a game gun and for training, largely for its 23-round magazine capacity and because 9mm ammo is so cheap compared to the .40 cal that I use in my other pistols. It has three different sizes of back straps included, so it's adjustable over a wide range of hand sizes.

bbymgr
06-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Now that it looks like concealed carry will be legal in Wisconsin, are you looking for something suitable for that, or just a general handgun? If you're looking at carry guns, the Walther PPS might work. It's a very concealable pistol, and also has different size back straps included. It's a single stack magazine, so thinner, but according to my son (large hands), the problem with large hands is not so much the thickness of the grip but the length of it....uncomfortable holding a pistol without the pinky well-supported. The PPS can be had with an extended magazine that does that well, unlike the various compacts like the Glock 26 or M&P 9c.

Have you looked at the Glocks? I'm not a huge fan...I am cosmetically opposed. I think they are too "ungraceful" a weapon, but many people like the looks, and there's no denying that it's a durable, reliable and accurate pistol. There are lots of accessories and plenty of armorers, and they have to be among the most cost-effective of the high-quality handguns. The Glock 17 is probably the best of their lineup IMHO my son has one and it fits him well.

Rather than the Glock, I elected a S&W M&P 9L. It's too big to carry well, but I use it for a game gun and for training, largely for its 23-round magazine capacity and because 9mm ammo is so cheap compared to the .40 cal that I use in my other pistols. It has three different sizes of back straps included, so it's adjustable over a wide range of hand sizes.

If you want something more easily concealed, the go for the Glock 19. It is the same as the 17 but has a shorter (5.5") barrel. I prefer the Glock 23. It is the 40 with a 5.5" barrel.

bigmac
06-19-2011, 10:19 AM
If you want something more easily concealed, the go for the Glock 19. It is the same as the 17 but has a shorter (5.5") barrel. I prefer the Glock 23. It is the 40 with a 5.5" barrel.

Yes. Glock 17 or 19 if we're talking about 9mm. I have heard mixed reviews on problems with the new Gen IV Glocks. Some teething pains, probably.

bbymgr
06-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Yes. Glock 17 or 19 if we're talking about 9mm. I have heard mixed reviews on problems with the new Gen IV Glocks. Some teething pains, probably.

Yes...I have heard the same from a buddy of mine. My Glocks are all Gen3. The Gen4 might help Jimn out with his large hands because they have the "backstraps" to make the grip larger or smaller than the Gen3's.

JimN
06-19-2011, 12:18 PM
JimN , Do you know the model of your friends S & W ? My CC is the M&P 40c and love it and will soon buy the 9mm model ( M&P 9c ) . I also have a Glock 19 , which I feel is a very good pistol . If you want a full size 9mm , take a look at the XDM9mm , shoots great and easy to clean . Never been burned by any of these pistols . But it only take one time , to know to position your hand out of the way of the slide .

I know I got burned because I wasn't familiar with the gun but I'm not sure of the model- it was a four digit number, like 6942, or something. I'll look into the others. Thanks.

JimN
06-19-2011, 12:21 PM

I don't know that I'll carry often, if at all, and if it gets to the point that I have to, I'll move first.

bigmac
06-19-2011, 01:42 PM
I don't know that I'll carry often, if at all, and if it gets to the point that I have to, I'll move first.

I hear ya. I feel the same way.

BrianM
06-19-2011, 03:16 PM

The Glock 19 or 23 is the compact with the shorter barrel of 4.02" The full sized 17 or 22 has a 4.49" barrel. 5.5" is Dirty Harry length. :-)

I trust my life to my Glock 23. Ruger LCP as backup.