PDA

View Full Version : Towing over gravel

redrobster78
06-17-2011, 12:54 AM
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone tows there MC over gravel? Normally my MC sits on a lift all summer long but for a couple of weeks this summer I'm taking her out to teach kids how to ski and board at summer camp and the only road in, out as well as in the camp are gravel.

Just interested in hearing what I can do to keep gravel from dinging the hull? Obviously slow down and I was thinking about getting a rubber guard for in back of the tow rig...

Thanks!

bturner2
06-17-2011, 09:49 AM
I have to tow through some pea gravel to get to our cottage for about 3/4 of a mile and have noticed a few small chips on the hull but it's hard to say if they really came from that portion of the trip. I do however hear gravel hitting the trailer even while crawling along, Even going slow the trailer will take the biggest beating. Especially the first v brace behind the truck and the axle.

Miss Rita
06-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Get some big F'n mudflaps, the kind they sell at tractor supply stores, the kind that drag the ground, the really ugly ones. If you get the removeable kind that attach to the receiver you won't have to deal with them when you're not towing.

Here's just one example:

http://www.etrailer.com/merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/R/M/RM-4400.jpg

http://www.etrailer.com/p-RM-4400.html

I made my own for about $20.

Skipper
06-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Mud flaps for sure. R
The most convenient are the ones that mount over the hitch. I had to repair some chips from towing to our lake before I installed mud flaps.

silverblueBP
06-17-2011, 03:42 PM
I live down 4 miles of creek rock gravel roads. 20 mph is the max speed I go. My biggest problem is that no matter how clean the boat starts out, it's really dirty by the time I get to the paved roads. I gave up worrying about. I drive slow, fix chips at the end of the season and spend the rest of the time enjoying the boat and water.

It's the price I pay for having the closet neighbor a mile away.

epnault
06-27-2011, 10:22 AM
I made this over the weekend. Works great. 1" squard tube, 2 pieces or 1/4" steel plate welded to wrap around hitch insert and 1 pinch bolt, and I picked up some large rubber semi truck flaps at Orielly Auto Parts. Make sure when you trim them that your boat is attached and they are slightly touching the ground. I decided to also add a couple steel plates, for extra weight, to the bottom of the flaps and it made it a good spot to put some MasterCraft stickers.

Sullivan
06-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Get a set of these mud flaps and a set of mud tires with big voids in the tires. The all terrain tires pick the rocks up and throw them way worse than the mud terrain tires. Even with the big mud flaps in this picture I had little pebbles (10 to 15) in the boy of my boat yesterday and that is just from my 1/4 mile gravel driveway. I have not had a chance to put new tires on this pickup so it has the stock all terrrain tires.

atthelake
06-27-2011, 05:26 PM
This what I am running with:
Company called Rockgard out of Edmonton Alberta. They actually have one designed to accomodate the picklefork front ends. They're pricey but the cost of running w/o something was too high.

http://www.rockgard.com/Gallery/tabid/158/AlbumID/500-5/Default.aspx