PDA

View Full Version : anyone tried to do their own vinyl?

absolutezero
06-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Noticed several threads lately on vinyl replacement. Looks like the biggest cost is the labor. I did some searching and a few links online suggest that it's quite easy to do. I doubt that, but I'm wondering have any of you actually redone your own vinyl?

I don't know how to sew, buy all the women in the family (except my wife...) do, so I'm wondering if that would help? Would any of them speak to me after they finished?

Lastly, if you order a replacement set of vinyl from MC does it come ready to staple (assuming that's how you connect it) or do you need to sew all of the peices together, then attach them to the boat?

pmkkdx
06-16-2011, 01:35 PM
this tread might answer some of your questions http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=39370

We plan on ordering at the end of season this fall ... that's the plan anyway.

JohnE
06-16-2011, 01:38 PM
If you order a replacement set they are ready to install. They are only available for recent models. Not sure how far back....'06 maybe

billr
06-16-2011, 02:07 PM
You need a sewing machine capable of sewing vinyl. the gor-tex thread is thicker than standard thread, and you need a lot of space. I had re-sewn all of mine several years back, and broke more needles than you can count. I had all of the interior replaced last year, and it was well worth it.

absolutezero
06-16-2011, 02:19 PM
You need a sewing machine capable of sewing vinyl. the gor-tex thread is thicker than standard thread, and you need a lot of space. I had re-sewn all of mine several years back, and broke more needles than you can count. I had all of the interior replaced last year, and it was well worth it.

Based on what the other thread suggested, it looks like if you get the vinyl premade you just have to staple it in. Is that correct? am I missing something?

pmkkdx
06-16-2011, 02:21 PM
I believe my local MC Dealer told me they only go back 4-5 years with OEM skins. I know at the end of the '09 season, the skins were not available for my '04 X2.

pmkkdx
06-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Based on what the other thread suggested, it looks like if you get the vinyl premade you just have to staple it in. Is that correct? am I missing something?

that is my understanding ... using stainless steel staples.

agarabaghi
06-16-2011, 02:35 PM
06 is the last year offered right now. No longer complete seats though (plastic / foam etc) just the skins. They will stop next summer and then 07 will be the newest.

wheelerd
06-17-2011, 03:43 AM
I completely redid my TriStar a couple of years ago (and then sold it.) I had a local lady who worked for an upholstery shop do the work on the side out of her home. I purchased all the supplies myself -- vinyl, foam backing, hidem strip -- and she the cutting and sewing. It cost me 1/2 of what a shop would have charged and the result was better than new.

Installing is . . . um, easy . . . if you take your time, plan, use your brain, do several test fits, and DON'T CUT any overhanging edges anything until you're absolutely sure you've got everything where you want it. It's also important to use light-weight plastic (I bought a roll of drop cloth) on the foam bolsters so that the skins can slide into place easily and be tightened up to remove wrinkles. (The foam backing on the vinyl doesn't slide over the foam bolsters.) Judicious use of a hair dryer helps to soften the vinyl for stretching around tight corners.

After washing and drying the foam bolsters I used a fabric steamer on them to restore their body since they become somewhat compacted over time. For the install I used an electric stapler with 3/8" SS staples. (For some of the thick spots where there were overlapping seams, etc. I used 1/2" staples.)

I just did the observer seat on my current boat this past week. Turned out great.

konaking
06-17-2011, 09:58 AM
I just sold my boat and now I am looking for prostar but I did the vinyl in my old Tige. I must say I work at a university which has an upholstery shop so I had access to wholesale vinyl and industrial sewing machines ( Con-Sew) and all the expertise of the guys that worked there. So it was not hard to do. The sewing wasn't that hard once you practice a little and sew slow.

I did the whole boat except for the cpt's chair for about $500 in materials and my time. No foam was needed that is the expensive part.

Old vinyl which had started to split at the seams

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn55/rjb427/Picture133.jpg

New Vinyl

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn55/rjb427/DSC00715.jpg

Gabe63
06-20-2011, 08:07 AM
I have done a few car interiors. You will need a walking foot sewing machine. There are plenty of makes, Pfaf, COnsew, Brother, Juki etc.

You can also remove all of your old skins and any shop can remake them. You can also send them to http://www.mastercraftskins.com/www.mastercraftskins.com/MasterCraftSkins.html and have any year remade.

I would consider the people in the link. One of the most frustrating parts is finding material of the quality, color, and texture you like.

SWeaver
06-20-2011, 12:35 PM
that review of mastercraft skins was my thread. I recently sold the boat, but if you have any questions, I'm available to help.

There is a pic in the ebay add that I had when I sold it.....but it isn't a great pic of the seats installed. Just get stainless staples and an upholstery stapler. Good to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170641759458&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEUSX%3AIT#v4-36