PDA

View Full Version : Boy Scout Trip to Broken Bow

gatorguy
06-16-2011, 08:33 AM
I plan on taking my boy scout troop to Broken Bow for our next years scout camp. We just got back from a camp in OK and we were all very frustrated with how it was run. So we figure we can put on our own camp for less money, get more merit badges per kid and have way more fun in our non-merit badge class time.

I have never been to the lake and plan to go do some recon later this season. I need a place to start though. I'm looking for a place to camp on the water that will fit about 25-30 people. We plan on tent camping but may have one motor home or 5th wheel for the leaders. We would like showers and toilets within walking distance too. It would be nice to be a little secluded, you know how roudy scouts can get.

So is there such a place? I called the park yesterday and the lady who answered was of little help. She basically just told me there was no way to make a reservation, so to show up on a Sunday or Monday. We plan on a Monday-Saturday camp next June.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

corey
06-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Sorry, no help with Broken Bow but this sounds like a blast! To bad about the OK camp, grew up going to Many Point here in MN and have nothing but awesome memories. Best of luck with the trip, it's always nice to hit up a new location.

pmkkdx
06-16-2011, 09:29 AM
no help here either on Broken Bow ... but sounds like a lot of fun! I did a quick Yahoo search on it and found that it's a Corp of Engineers lake. I am surprised you couldn't make reservations. Also found there are a couple of state parks in the area, but not sure if those are actually on the lake.

The troop my son was with thru his Eagle did various summer camps including Philmont in NM (which I would highly recommend at least once in a scout's life). Seeing new areas was always fun for both the boys & leaders.

Good luck with getting things set up and hope they work out well for you & crew!

EWood1326
06-16-2011, 10:03 AM
I dont know how far you would go but we go to tenkiller alot and its beautiful and there is a multiple camp sites. Strayhorn landing I think is the best personaly. you can make reservation and the have showers and pavillions if you need those. i will post a pic if I can find one. thats my 2 cents on the subject.

Best I could find that showed the layout

gatorguy
06-16-2011, 10:25 AM
I dont know how far you would go but we go to tenkiller alot and its beautiful and there is a multiple camp sites. Strayhorn landing I think is the best personaly. you can make reservation and the have showers and pavillions if you need those.

Thanks for the suggestion. We are actually planning to combine with another troop we met that is from Dallas, so something in the southern part of OK is better for both of us.

Gofast
06-16-2011, 11:58 AM
OK, there are tons of camping area's around BB. I drive by then, have never camped there though. Since you are goning on Monday, getting a friendly spot should not be an issue. You also have the option of staying below the dam on the river. Fly fishing etc. I would probably try to get one of the Park Rangers for more help though.

Also, a second option is Robber's Cave, also SE Oklahoma. I have seen lot's of Boy Scout troops there. They also have an excellent area for rock climbing.

Rob

mccobmd
06-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Know the area very well, PM at you