PDA

View Full Version : Surf Behind Inboard?

smoketu
06-16-2011, 12:30 AM
I have an X-9 with right around 2000 lbs extra ballast. My question is, has anyone had any luck loading an inboard in order to surf behind. We tried a few times to move people to one side, shift ballast and vary speeds, but always seemed to get too much wash. So, not sure it's even possible, but figured with specific load placement it could work. Any thoughts?

Huskie05
06-16-2011, 01:21 AM
I have an X-9 with right around 2000 lbs extra ballast. My question is, has anyone had any luck loading an inboard in order to surf behind. We tried a few times to move people to one side, shift ballast and vary speeds, but always seemed to get too much wash. So, not sure it's even possible, but figured with specific load placement it could work. Any thoughts?

don't ignore the putting weight in the front. our wake is much better with weight in the back and the front. we put a lot of weight in the front, usually kids and a couple labs (dogs), move a couple people around, and makes a huge difference.

CantRepeat
06-16-2011, 01:22 AM
I had a 92 Maristar that I had to complete overweight to get a semi surfable wave from. I wanted to surf so much I sold it and bought the X30.

kskonn
06-16-2011, 03:27 AM
x2 on the weight in the front. If you throw some weight in the front it should help you get rid of some of the wash and extend the length of the wave. when surfing I run an extra 1000 lbs on the side of the boat I am surfing on plus another 600 up from right under the pass through window.

willyt
06-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Btw I think you mean a direct drive... Not inboard. V Drives are inboards too.

That being said, load your boat up with full ballast and as many people as it will hold, then play with placement. Ill Echo the need for weight in the surf side bow too. Perhaps someone will be along with that boat and a good setup

smoketu
06-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Btw I think you mean a direct drive... Not inboard. V Drives are inboards too.

That being said, load your boat up with full ballast and as many people as it will hold, then play with placement. Ill Echo the need for weight in the surf side bow too. Perhaps someone will be along with that boat and a good setup

That's exactly what I meant, it is a direct drive. Currently I do use the stock ballast with an integrated bow sack up front under the cushions. I'm assuming about 500-600 lbs with a 750 lb in the walkway up front of the center pylon. This year I picked up another 650 lb to go on top of rear seat for those light person days. Using all that with 1-2 people slid to one side gives nothing but white wash. This set up does work well for wakeboarding though.

MIskier
06-16-2011, 10:10 AM
If you already have 600 under the bow cusions move your 750 to one side of the motor box. Once you play with the fore and aft placement of that and a few people you should be gtg. The wake is def surfable weve done it with several 190's and a sportster.

norris_ps205
06-16-2011, 10:20 AM
We have an '05 X9 and surf behind it all the time. We only use the stock ballast, and usually have a couple people sitting on one side of the sun pad/trunk. Here's a pict of my daughter...

kskonn
06-16-2011, 10:34 AM
^^^ that is a great looking surf wake, your daughter looks like she is tearing it up out there.

YooperScott
06-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Awesome picture of the kid surfing. And look, no rope (seems lately I have seen quite a few pictures and videos of people "surfing" with the rope).

To me you're only surfing if you can ride for sustained amounts of time without holding a rope. That said, we surf behind my '95 190 with one of those fat seat sofa things (one of these days i'll get something for the front but i'm more concerned with skiing). Fill the back and one side and it works. I know someone else with the same boat as mine that surfs a bunch with it and have seen a mid 90s Ski Nautique put in on our lake and surf so the DD boats are certainly capable of doing it although i'm sure well loaded v-drives would be much better. My uncle has a later 90s Maristar 200V that we have surfed behind with no ballast, just 350 lb or so of adults sitting on the sundeck on one side.

SunvalleyX9
06-16-2011, 01:01 PM
We have an 04 X9 and after a little bit of trial and error we have found a pretty nice surf wave. We can surf without the rope for miles.... Perfect pass set at 10.3, factory ballast, additional 950lb on the side that is being surfed next to the engine compartmant, additional 400lbs in the walk way/bow area. I have found that with this boat it definitely helps to have the weight up front as opposed to the back. Moving the weight forward gives the wave length and a very nice curl. Having too much weight in the back makes a steep and choppy wave. We currently have a wave that can be surfed about 10 feet behind the boat! I have a youtube video of the wave if you are interested in seeing it.

smoketu
06-16-2011, 11:11 PM
I'm gonna have to do some rearranging this weekend. Those pics look awesome, love my direct drive too much to give in to a v-drive.

ShamrockIV
06-16-2011, 11:17 PM
we had my 03 209 setup with a good wave. my x30 seems a bit more touchy. nothing wrong with the direct drive. but i love the room the vdrive gives the family.

DeVrieski
06-17-2011, 01:45 AM
Here is the wave behind my 2000 Prostar 205. We use 500 in the back locker and then 750 next to the motor on the side we want to surf. Not too bad. We can go without the rope for an endless amount of time unless we mess it up.

mccobmd
06-17-2011, 09:06 AM
Notice both of the board's are IS blue lake. I have the red woody. Make sure you have a big bouyant board or the frustration could be endless.

plunk77
06-17-2011, 09:41 AM
my aunt has an 03 X9 and with the factory fat sack under the seat and my 300 lb butt sitting in the corner makes a great surf wake. no one hasn't been able to surf it

kkkeating
06-17-2011, 11:54 AM
We can get a great wake with our 2001 X9 but itís also very sensitive to weight distribution. With the flip flop of one 140 person on the engine cover with a 175 pound person on the port side sun deck the wave goes from perfect to lots of wash out. Even the shifting of a few feet for someone on the sun deck changes the wave characteristics. You'll have to experiment and shift people around to find the optimum wake.

Our X9 setup for wake surfing is a custon 350 lb sac in ski locker, factory rear seat fat sac, 350 lb, a 160 lb fat sac in the rear locker, port side, 750 lb fat sac alongside the engine cover, port side, as far forward as possible, one 150 lb fat brick above the front portion of the ski locker, and one 380 lb fat sac in the front port side on top of the seats. Add two people on the rear sundeck, port side, one person on the port side gun rail, one on the engine compartment and we have a wake that's quite large.

agarabaghi
06-17-2011, 12:08 PM
you might be surfing on the wrong side. Our boats can only put out a REALLY nice wake on 1 side. the other side is surfacble but must more prone to wash ...

nickespi
06-17-2011, 01:27 PM
you might be surfing on the wrong side. Our boats can only put out a REALLY nice wake on 1 side. the other side is surfacble but must more prone to wash ...

No real wrong side to surf. You want to surf toeside, facing the wave. Difference can be attributed to prop spin.