PDA

View Full Version : underwater lights

EWood1326
06-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Hey guys I need some help. I hae underwater light on my 45 that were oem lights put on by the dealer and she said not to run them out of water which is all good but they hooked them to my interior light switch. So when its night and want to see in my boat while picking stuff up i dont wont to ruin them. I thought with them being LED they would not be that hot when in use. Any Comments or Opinions would help.

DooSPX
06-15-2011, 02:12 PM
I do not have a answer for you as I know nothing about underwater lights... but when you are on plane or even pulling a boarder, the lights are out of the water then too. So it can't hurt them too bad.

scott023
06-15-2011, 02:13 PM
That doesn't make sense to me. I wasn't told that by the dealer, and I have had mine on when the boat was out of the water. Haven't had any problems with the lights to date. The LED's shouldn't have heat issues in or out of the water.

FourFourty
06-15-2011, 02:14 PM
I dont see any reason that you cannot run them out of water..... I had mine on for a while the other night in my garage, and they didnt even get warm. I think your dealer is confused....

Gofast
06-15-2011, 02:38 PM
I do not run mine out of the water for more than 15 secs. They generate heat and will burn out the LEDs. Mine are aftermarket Abyss and it must be under water to help keep them cool.

Mine are mounted low, so even n plane they are covered.

I would put them on a seperate switch so you can run them without the interiour lights.

Thanks Rob

Kyle's_prostar205
06-15-2011, 02:42 PM
I work for a company that produces LED lights for warning equipment (Whelen Engineering) and from my expierence with LED WHITE lighting which is what is used in most scene lighting and in the underwater lights, the LED diodes are being driven at such an intenstiy to get the greatest amount of light output. With that being said due to the amount light being used there is an equal amount of heat produced. If the light head does not have a way to disipate the heat such as an aluminum backing plate or heat sinks then the only way the heat is cooled is by ambient air or in this case the water around the light head. It more than likley will never be a problem for short term use on land but my guess would be that to properly cool the LED's they need to be operated in the water only. If the light head builds heat for too long the diodes will burn out and lead to circuit board failure.

DemolitionMan
06-15-2011, 03:08 PM
I would not think that they would need to be cooled. The LEDS on your trailer are not in the water.

Gofast
06-15-2011, 04:57 PM
All I can say is Earmark said not to run the to long out of water or they will burn out. Mine put out 1610 Lumens which is a bit more than the trailer lights or light rings on my speakers.

I really think it's the output intensity that drives the need for cooling.

Better safe and only run them in the water.

Rob

EarmarkMarine
06-15-2011, 05:24 PM
We are not dealing with the same type of LED lighting that is on trailers or step/courtesy/mood lighting within the boat. These are ultra-bright high-intensity lights. Stare directly into these lights while the boat is on the trailer and see how long it takes before you develop a serious and lasting headache. The more light, the more heat you will generate even with highly efficient LED products. If your lights are not very bright then you have very little heat to be concerned with.
When the boat is on plane and the transom lights are out of the water then there is more than enough air circulation and mist for cooling.
The main concern is when you are still and up on the trailer. A short term duration is not going to be a problem on a quality light fixture because they are designed within the light's conservative operating range. But we caution against this for long periods. Why take the risk?
In any case, I would place underwater lights on separate switch. We have started using switches with an LED status indicator so that you have a visual reminder that the lights are on. Or, a burning smell could serve as a reminder (just kidding).
Alot of this began when cruisers and motoryachts equipped with OEM underwater lights that had the circuit looped through the throttle so the lights would shut off when the boat was on plane. We're past that now with LED fixtures.

David
Earmark Marine

DooSPX
06-15-2011, 07:57 PM
GoFast, I do not see how yours are still underwater while on plane, unless you are going pretty slow. ones the boat is planed, the transom is on top on the water.

SkiDog
06-15-2011, 09:14 PM
GoFast, I do not see how yours are still underwater while on plane, unless you are going pretty slow. ones the boat is planed, the transom is on top on the water.

Doo, get to the DS and accept your punishment!:cool:

Justjoe
06-15-2011, 09:24 PM
I have high intensity rear facing led tower lights. Other than not being enclosed in...a glass pane enclosure, they dont get at all warm. I've left em on for a really long time too.

I have heard of the Abyss (oem) lights burning outnif left on out of the water, but these were boat show experiences where they were on all day for many days.

Gofast
06-15-2011, 10:55 PM

Maybe it's not? I had extra weight in the back compartments last year and the swim deck was always right at the waterline. I always thought everything under the deck stayed underwater even under way. Maybe not, I'll have the wife drive and take a look. My lights are just slightly lower than the exhaust ports.

Rob

DooSPX
06-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Maybe it's not? I had extra weight in the back compartments last year and the swim deck was always right at the waterline. I always thought everything under the deck stayed underwater even under way. Maybe not, I'll have the wife drive and take a look. My lights are just slightly lower than the exhaust ports.

Rob

Like the boat! I remember threads about that boat now... Have any pics of the ladies for the swimsuit thread? lol

DemolitionMan
06-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Mine are out of the water at speed.

Cmpdman
06-16-2011, 01:05 PM
In the 2011 manuals, it says it about 4 or 5 times "DO NO TURN ON THE UNDERWATER LIGHTS WHEN THE BOAT IS OUT OF THE WATER". We added them to our '08 & they were connected to the courtesy lights, in our '11 the courtesy lights need to be on & then their is a switch in the back to turn them off. I guess I'll stop showing them to friends when the boat is on the trailer...

EWood1326
06-16-2011, 01:54 PM
thanks for all the feed back I guess i need to change switches

ULights
06-25-2011, 07:21 PM
I am a distributor for Shadow-Caster underwater LED's. LED's don't produce a lot of heat like an incandescent light, but the chips produce heat internally and need to dissipate that heat. If the chips get to hot it can drastically reduce there lifespan. Underwater LED's use the water to help remove the heat. The Shadow-Casters don't have to stay immersed constantly, they just have to be somewhere that is splashed regularly. This should be the same for any underwater LED light. I would not worry about turning off your lights when you are running. The water splashing on them will be enough to keep them cool. Underwater-Lights USA (http://underwater-lightsusa.com/)

Bobwire
06-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Glad this was brought up. My new boat has underwater lights and will arrive here in a couple days and i had no idea.