PDA

View Full Version : Sirius Satellite Radio - Which Unit to Buy?

RWB_XSTAR
06-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Time for another addition...the IPOD is great, but going to add satellite radio. My radio will directly accept satellite radio however I don't want to have to buy two subscriptions (one for the boat and then one for my car/house)

What is the best plug and play unit or handheld to buy? I want something that is durable, does well in the heat, and is easy to move between the car/boat/house. While on the boat how are the displays? I plan to use a car kit vs the marine antenna for the XSTAR.

Looking at:

Starmate 5
Sportster 5
Stiletto (handheld, but pricey)

Thanks in advance for you input feedback...

robin
06-15-2011, 12:10 PM
I have the sportster, but it is controlled by my alpine ida x100m...i mounted it out of sight. It works great.

FancySauceRules
06-15-2011, 12:52 PM
I have the sportster, but it is controlled by my alpine ida x100m...i mounted it out of sight. It works great.

I have the factory option installed, but we started using the iPhone/Droid app instead. Someone always ends up sitting on or somehow covering the antenna on the factory unit.

RWB_XSTAR
06-15-2011, 02:22 PM
hmm, never thought of using the phone! Perhaps I can just buy the cheap one to use in the car and then perhaps with the Sirius subscription perhaps I can just load an app to use on my phone for the boat as an iPhone will fit in my iPOD holder.

FancySauceRules
06-15-2011, 02:25 PM
hmm, never thought of using the phone! Perhaps I can just buy the cheap one to use in the car and then perhaps with the Sirius subscription perhaps I can just load an app to use on my phone for the boat as an iPhone will fit in my iPOD holder.

That's exactly how we do it, one subscription for the car and iPhone for everything else.