PDA

View Full Version : Another 30th Seat Restoration

captain planet
06-14-2011, 08:45 PM
I am delighted to show you the following pictures from a fellow TTer with a 30th Anniversary 190 who, like me, got tired of looking at the ugly glue stains left when the decals came off his seats.

Enjoy SS LS1, you'll have these on Friday!!!

captain planet
06-14-2011, 08:45 PM
A couple of close ups......

captain planet
06-14-2011, 08:46 PM
They looked so good, even Morgan wanted to take a look!!!

DemolitionMan
06-14-2011, 08:47 PM
That is a lot of detail. Looks great.

captain planet
06-14-2011, 08:48 PM
I have before pictures on my phone......however since I don't have the ability to send pictures with my phone I can't post them yet. When I can get those files off my phone, I'll post the before pictures.

SS LS1
06-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Where is that Wahoo smiley when I need it? Awesome job Matt! You went the extra mile to be sure the shop did them right. I can't wait to get them back on the seats and the boat back on the water! :-)

Thanks, Greg

captain planet
06-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Where is that Wahoo smiley when I need it? Awesome job Matt! You went the extra mile to be sure the shop did them right. I can't wait to get them back on the seats and the boat back on the water! :-)

Thanks, Greg

I was wondering how long it was going to take for you to get on here and see the pictures! I guess 9 minutes isn't bad, ha ha!

SS LS1
06-14-2011, 09:02 PM
I just looked at the close ups again and Holy Crap those look nice! Even better than I imagined. Captain Planet to the rescue. Another 30th getting the attention it deserves. Thanks again!

JohnE
06-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Does look good, who did the work?

captain planet
06-14-2011, 09:27 PM
I just looked at the close ups again and Holy Crap those look nice! Even better than I imagined. Captain Planet to the rescue. Another 30th getting the attention it deserves. Thanks again!

No worries, glad to do it.

captain planet
06-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Does look good, who did the work?

I got permission to digitize the image and then worked with a local embroidery shop to get it to what you see. Then I had the image increased just a little to cover all the stains left behind from the glue. They turn out pretty good.

I did learn this go around that not all the 30th portions of the design are in the same spot, but it still covers most of the blemish.

I have kicked around the idea of putting that image on a beach towel. It would make for a pretty expensive beach towel, but hey if you are into your boat, your into your boat.

JohnE
06-14-2011, 09:35 PM
So you reused the original skins?

trickskier
06-14-2011, 09:42 PM
I am delighted to show you the following pictures from a fellow TTer with a 30th Anniversary 190 who, like me, got tired of looking at the ugly glue stains left when the decals came off his seats.

Enjoy SS LS1, you'll have these on Friday!!!

Can you knit me a GATOR sweater???

captain planet
06-14-2011, 09:46 PM
So you reused the original skins?

Yea, those are original skins. I embroidered my originals, JLeuck sent me new skins to do on his 30th, and SS LS1 sent me his originals. That material they used in 1998 is great stuff. It holds up well. SS LS1's skins are in really good shape.

captain planet
06-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Can you knit me a GATOR sweater???

If I only had a bar of soap.........

trickskier
06-14-2011, 09:49 PM
If I only had a bar of soap.........

Didn't shower today?

trickskier
06-14-2011, 09:51 PM
I got permission to digitize the image and then worked with a local embroidery shop to get it to what you see. Then I had the image increased just a little to cover all the stains left behind from the glue. They turn out pretty good.

I did learn this go around that not all the 30th portions of the design are in the same spot, but it still covers most of the blemish.

I have kicked around the idea of putting that image on a beach towel. It would make for a pretty expensive beach towel, but hey if you are into your boat, your into your boat.

Seriously - NICE WORK!!!

mtajpa
06-14-2011, 09:57 PM
I would be interested to know how you digitized the image? I would like to get the "MasterCraft" name back on my seats.

captain planet
06-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Was it embroidered the first time or some type of decal? If it is a 99 I would think it was embroidered.

SS LS1
06-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Seats are back together, back in the boat and we even had the boat on the lake yesterday. The seats look awesome! I took lots of pics both during and after that I will post later. I have to get to my parents 50th wedding anniversary party today, so pic posting will be in a day or two as they are on my phone. Either way THANKS Captain Planet!!! :-)

mtajpa
06-18-2011, 11:28 PM
Was it embroidered the first time or some type of decal? If it is a 99 I would think it was embroidered.

It was embroidered but had to be reupholstered and couldn't fine the font to use. Still have the embroidered drivers seat though. I was curious what you used to digitize, as my wife has the embroidery machine that will do it if I just fine the right file to load into it.

SS LS1
06-21-2011, 10:51 PM
If you don't know what the big deal is on the 30th Anniversary seats it is that MC used a great looking vinyl emblem that was heat adhered directly to the seats. Over time the emblem peeled of of virtually every 30th anniv boat seat leaving an ugly glue mess behind on otherwise great looking white vinyl seats. This uglyness is unacceptable and there are two ways to fix the problem, A: purchase new seat skins, or B: embroider the same emblem over the glue stain on the original seat skins. Captain Planet perfected option B and is what I chose to do to my seats. Thanks Matt!!!!!

Many people have tried to reglue the emblems with little success, plus over time the silver was quick to degrade and look awful anyway as you will see below.

To reattach the seat skins it took me over 10 hrs, 1,300 staples and I tried out and used 5 different staple guns to get the job done, seriously. The staples I used were Arrow T-50 made of MONEL which is the only ones listed as "Rust Proof". The regular Stainless Steel staples are labeled as only "Rust Resistant" and specifically say "Not For Marine Use" on the front of the box. Not wanting rusting staples on my white seats I bought the Monel staples which are unfortunately VERY soft as they are 33% Copper and 67% Nickel. The soft staples did often fold over rather than going straight into the plastic seat base causing me to waste 200-300 staples that had to be pulled out and replaced. Plus the recoil impact of the staple gun would cause the staple stack in the magazine to break apart and jam most of the electric guns I tried. PITA!!

I did get a loaned pneumatic staple gun to try but could not find Stainless Steel staples that would fit the gun in the time frame I needed to get the seats back together so I couldn't use it unfortunately. Using a gun like this in the past I know it would have cut the job time in half at least. Lesson learned I guess.

Ok, on to posting of pictures as I know everyone on TT loves to see pictures.

1st photo is the original decal, emblem, whatever you call it that MC put on the seats when the boat was originally sold. It looked nice at first

2nd photo is of the emblem as it ages and has been reattached.

3rd photo is my actual rear seat glue stain when the emblem fell off. ....... SIGH .......

More pictures in following posts to come ..........

SS LS1
06-21-2011, 10:58 PM
1st photo is of the embroidered skins
2nd photo is the observer seat base and edge foam cushion
3rd shows the salvage of the skin attached to the back rest of the seat base
4th shows the seat cushion reinstalled

SS LS1
06-21-2011, 11:07 PM
1st wrapping seat cushion foam with salvage strip
2nd stapled salvage edge around seat cushion foam
3rd close up
4th outer leg foam "S" cushion reinstalled (plus a nice shot of our open glass folding wall to the deck)
5th seat skin pulled over seat cushions but not stretched or stapled yet.

JLeuck64
06-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Aww... the pictures just don't do those embroidery justice. They look much better in person ( ;

SS LS1
06-21-2011, 11:14 PM
1st edge piping installed, installing edge trim to cover staples from view
2nd same
3rd Finished Seat
4th same
5th Close up of assembled embroidery

SS LS1
06-21-2011, 11:23 PM
1st photo - new 30th embroidery on the left and original vinyl 30th on the right just sitting there for a comparison
2nd assembled rear seat
3rd same
4th assembly begins
5th seat, hinges, gas struts installed

SS LS1
06-21-2011, 11:31 PM
1st installed pics
2nd
3rd
4th on to the rear seat
5th naked boat rear (you can see the holes where the studs go through the fiberglass to attach the rear seat back)

SS LS1
06-21-2011, 11:37 PM
1st Holes for mounting studs
2nd Mounting stud assembly
3rd Studs installed
4th Seat back, storage locker, shower and rear trunk sun deck reinstalled
5th

SS LS1
06-21-2011, 11:42 PM
More pics assembled and I just had to toss in an Engine photo. :-)

EricB
06-21-2011, 11:47 PM
Looks beautiful! Someday I'll have to do that to my seats too.

Boat looks great to SS....glad you didn't muck it up with a tower.

georgea0731
06-22-2011, 12:13 AM
If the shop doesn't mind, please post their info. My 35th seats are fading and showing their age. I have the rear seat cover new, but not one for the passenger seat. Which means buying a standard cover and having a shop match the original design.
Those are fantistic. Great job! Thanks for sharing.

SS LS1
06-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Boat looks great to SS....glad you didn't muck it up with a tower.

Uh oh, ......... actually the boat came with a tower already installed so I use it as the holes are already there. It doesn't bother me as it gives me and storage off of the floor and at 6' 4" I like the taller pull with the tower. The tower doesn't fold so I remove it to fit in the garage. It is sitting in front of the boat in some of the first pics.

EricB
06-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Nevermind....

SS LS1
06-26-2011, 11:37 PM
Just a couple pics from today outside in the sun. I got to try out my new wakesurfer which was a blast! Family had a great day on the water and the seats look even better on the lake than sitting in the garage, right? ;)

Thanks again Captain Planet! :wavey:

captain planet
06-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Just a couple pics from today outside in the sun. I got to try out my new wakesurfer which was a blast! Family had a great day on the water and the seats look even better on the lake than sitting in the garage, right? ;)

Thanks again Captain Planet! :wavey:

I'm happy to see you are enjoying your "new" seats. :)

milkmania
07-24-2011, 09:36 AM
first time I've seen this thread.....
the embroidery looks incredible, good job !

WTRSK1R
07-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Very impressive. Nice work on the embroidery and on the install job. I just got new vinyl for the trunk lids on my 197 so installation of the vinyl is on my list as a winter project this year.

SS LS1
07-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the positive comments, it's neat to see Team Talk members helping each other out to keep these wonderful MC boats running and looking like new.

WTRSK1R, your trunk lid plans sound like a great winter project. It will be time consuming but you will have a very rewarding feeling by doing the project yourself. Get a pneumatic upholstery staple gun and the project will go much faster. Then post some pics when you are done. :)

bretski75
09-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Beautiful boat. Nice attention to detail.

DemolitionMan
09-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Was there a limited number of 30th's?

captain planet
09-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Was there a limited number of 30th's?

Not to my knowledge.

captain planet
06-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Another 30th Anniversary seat project finalized. Here are the pictures. Let's start the countdown to see how long it takes the owner to come along! :D

captain planet
06-03-2014, 02:39 PM

captain planet
06-03-2014, 02:40 PM

captain planet
06-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Last one...

sully
06-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Awesome!

cjtenney
06-04-2014, 10:43 PM
Thanks a million Matt! It's great to know that there are still people like you in this world. You sure went above and beyond and I appreciate it! The skins turned out awesome and i can't wait to get them put on and installed back in the boat! Their upholstery is outstanding. It's killing me not having the boat in the water! I did tackle the removal, but will be having a local shop reinstall them due to a lack of time. I cant thank you enough! Cheers!

captain planet
06-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Glad to do it cjtenney. I hope you enjoy them, they turned out great.