PDA

View Full Version : Boat buddy launching?

Brian B
06-14-2011, 07:17 PM
So I have some friends who are seemingly "special" when launching and retrieving me. I always get out of the truck, unhook the transom straps, unhook ratchet strap, and release the boat buddy, then let a friend drive the truck. I'm guessing the weight of the boat wouldnt possibly allow it to slide off the trailer, but I second guess myself every time the guy driving the truck slams on the brakes while backing down the ramp.

What are your thoughts?

JimN
06-14-2011, 07:27 PM
So I have some friends who are seemingly "special" when launching and retrieving me. I always get out of the truck, unhook the transom straps, unhook ratchet strap, and release the boat buddy, then let a friend drive the truck. I'm guessing the weight of the boat wouldnt possibly allow it to slide off the trailer, but I second guess myself every time the guy driving the truck slams on the brakes while backing down the ramp.

What are your thoughts?

Slap him on the back of his head every time he slams on the brakes until he gets the message. He needs to learn that it's not the tow vehicle driver who's launching the boat, it's the boat operator. If the fenders are under water, it would be easy for the boat to slide off.

nmcjr
06-14-2011, 07:56 PM
I have heard of boats coming off-a friend worked at a marina and saw it twice. I usually release the boat buddy and then add about a foot of slack to the strap, but leave it engaged. I ride down in the bow and when the boat gets to the water I just have to unclip the strap and I'm off.

JohnE
06-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Even on a shallow ramp I leave mine connected until I am in the water. I won't take any chances. I don't unhook it until the boat is running. Especially because if it ever fails to start it is difficult to get it back on trailer. (More of a problem on a steep ramp)

captain planet
06-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Even on a shallow ramp I leave mine connected until I am in the water. I won't take any chances. I don't unhook it until the boat is running. Especially because if it ever fails to start it is difficult to get it back on trailer. (More of a problem on a steep ramp)

Same for me. I never undo it until I'm in the water.

MariStar-Man
06-14-2011, 08:53 PM
haha baby steps...

I take the Maristar to the edge of the water

Unhook all straps

Get in Truck. Put it in Reverse and push her into the water until i see the fenders in the sweet spot of the lake.

Hit the brakes and she shoots out, inches from the pain-in-the-arse Floating Dock Grabbers still loading their cooler, blocking the line of folks wanting to launch.

Someone on this very board taught me that...

Cobra Rob
06-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Leave the bow line attached till we get in the water.. jump up to front unclip have the driver go back another foot and hit brakes dump it off the trailer and go. Don't trust it to unstrap before being in water even though I don't think it would ever budge.

Also here. I have never seen anyone here use transom straps on a BU, or X series. I don't even have them for the X-45. I think it is heavy enough probably not an issue though......

Gabe63
06-14-2011, 09:37 PM
I never unhook my fron strap until I am in the water. I have seen others do what you are saying. Are people in the boat when backing down? Too big of a risk for me and those around me.

Brian B
06-14-2011, 10:36 PM
Also here. I have never seen anyone here use transom straps on a BU, or X series. I don't even have them for the X-45. I think it is heavy enough probably not an issue though......

I used to think the same thing. 2 weeks ago I had friends following me to the lake, and they said that there were multiple times the boat came up off the trailer roughly 6". I bought boat buckle straps the next day!

Thanks for all the input guys! I'm going to play it safe and wait till the boat is in the water from now on!

coz
06-14-2011, 10:50 PM

See! we do have something in common John, I do it like you. :)

DemolitionMan
06-14-2011, 11:07 PM
I never undo mine until I get in the water.

Cmpdman
06-14-2011, 11:27 PM
I've seen it twice, both trailers were those easy-on trailers with the rollers. That was years ago. I unhook everything while getting the boat ready, except the front strap. I only undo that after the boat is in the water.

skongolf
06-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Always leave the transom straps on until you get to the lake, especially on the way to Saguaro. Too many Whoop tee Doos. I leave the boat buddy engaged and the strap attached until we get to the water. Saw a pretty nice malibu go flying once. Hard to watch it skip down the ramp to the water. Better safe than sorry. Saw your boat buckles and that is going to be a near future purchase. Where did you get yours?

coz
06-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Always leave the transom straps on until you get to the lake, especially on the way to Saguaro.

So, we have another Az'er on board, we love Sag but have been spending more time at Canyon these days.

Brian B
06-14-2011, 11:43 PM
So, we have another Az'er on board, we love Sag but have been spending more time at Canyon these days.

I've adopted; Saguaro on weekdays, and Canyon on weekends...... Roosevelt or Apache for 3 day holiday weekends!

Brian B
06-14-2011, 11:46 PM
Always leave the transom straps on until you get to the lake, especially on the way to Saguaro. Too many Whoop tee Doos. I leave the boat buddy engaged and the strap attached until we get to the water. Saw a pretty nice malibu go flying once. Hard to watch it skip down the ramp to the water. Better safe than sorry. Saw your boat buckles and that is going to be a near future purchase. Where did you get yours?

You saw a boat slide off a trailer on a ramp? Holy crap. Sounds like I have been lucky!

I got my Boat Buckles on ebay for $60 shipped. They're roughly $90 at Marine Max, or Action Watersports.......

coz
06-14-2011, 11:51 PM
I've adopted; Saguaro on weekdays, and Canyon on weekends...... Roosevelt or Apache for 3 day holiday weekends!

Sag on the weekdays is wonderful.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/001-39.jpg

I keep my boat up at Canyon so I don't have to tow it anywhere. We'll be out tomorrow for an afternoon sesh, if you want to join us be at the launch ramp at 3pm, it's gonna be 107 tomorrow......perfect wakeboarding weather.

Brian B
06-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Dang! I will be there at 3:00 pm on Thursday...... My friends and I try to get out Tuesday and Thursday if possible......... I will keep an eye out for you for sure!

Thanks for the invite!

gatorguy
06-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Growing up they guys I always went with unhooked everything and loaded all people in the prep area, which at 0500 is anywhere you darn well please. Then they would back down into the water and hit the brakes and pull out instantly. Took all of 30 second on the ramp. Never had a problem except a dead battery one time.

Now I'm all grown up I do the same thing. I take it easy pulling around to back in, and have never had a problem.

Brian B
06-15-2011, 12:09 AM
Growing up they guys I always went with unhooked everything and loaded all people in the prep area, which at 0500 is anywhere you darn well please. Then they would back down into the water and hit the brakes and pull out instantly. Took all of 30 second on the ramp. Never had a problem except a dead battery one time.

Now I'm all grown up I do the same thing. I take it easy pulling around to back in, and have never had a problem.

That was my policy until hearing some of these stories. Unhooking the bow in the water will cost me a mere 30 seconds......

kgrove
06-15-2011, 12:15 AM
I found if I leave the boat buddy engaged until the boat is in the water, the boat can shift from the buoyancy and put enough pressure on the pin to prevent the boat buddy pin from releasing. To reduce the pressure, I would have to winch the strap tighter and remove the stress on the pin.

Since figuring that out (and based on feedback from people here), I put the boat buddy pin in "unload" mode with the winch strap still attached just before backing into the water. It takes very little time after hitting the water to start the engine, release the strap, and drive the boat off the trailer. At no time is the boat capable of sliding off the trailer and if the engine fails to start, I don't have to reload the boat to pull out.

My bigger problem with boat buddies is loading. I don't trust most of my drivers to correctly put the boat buddy into "load" mode. Instead I pull the boat onto the trailer far enough I can reach the boat buddy myself from the nose of my boat, put the boat in neutral while I put it in "load", then go back and drive it the rest of the way up until the pin fires. Then I cut the engine, attach and tighten the winch to the nose, and signal the driver to pull out. It wastes a few seconds, but I'm still generally in and off the ramp in half the time of most of the people I see there.

I've tried training the wife on all this, but she's turning out to be untrainable.

capnkirk52
06-15-2011, 12:45 AM
don't count on the boat buddy for anything. It's a nice tool for super calm water two person loading. Like all above have stated, keep your hook on until your are sure she's good in the water and then let her go...

perkinsperkins
06-15-2011, 12:56 AM
Don't make the mistake I made on the weekend. The winch was not locked! I just waxed the bottom of the boat and replaced my trailer bunks. Slid off like butter. The ironic thing is, I just had the prop serviced. Now it's back at the shop.

atthelake
06-15-2011, 01:04 AM
Ouch!!!! I actually got a lump in the back of my throat just looking at that. I feel awful for you.

Brian B
06-15-2011, 01:05 AM
Thats terrible. Looks like the prop took the worst of it though?

perkinsperkins
06-15-2011, 01:15 AM
That was a dreadful experience. We had some fun getting the boat back on the trailer. It looks like the prop was the only victim. The strut and shaft seem to be okay. There are some stress cracks in the gel coat where the strut is attached to the hull. However, those may have been there before. I'll look into that repair someday. I'm kind of embarrassed to post the pics but I thought I'd share my horror story.

Brian B
06-15-2011, 01:21 AM
That was a dreadful experience. We had some fun getting the boat back on the trailer. It looks like the prop was the only victim. The strut and shaft seem to be okay. There are some stress cracks in the gel coat where the strut is attached to the hull. However, those may have been there before. I'll look into that repair someday. I'm kind of embarrassed to post the pics but I thought I'd share my horror story.

Thanks for sharing. **** happens to us all from time to time.

Kyle
06-15-2011, 02:00 AM
Oh snaps.

If it was busy I would have yanked the trailer out from under the bow and just drove home and left everything on the ramp. There is no way I would be able to show face.

Man it takes some serious balls to show those pics. I refuse to even crack a joke on this. I would have never told a soul.

Seriously how in the heck did you winch it up on the trailer. 2500lbs is heavy with our pos hand cranks. I'm sure the butter was not as slickery coming back on.

Thrall
06-15-2011, 02:45 AM

To perkins....damn I'm sorry that happened to you, but kudos to ou for posting a warning to everyone else.
When I first got my 190 it didn't have transom straps and I thought it always sat fine on the trailer. After a trip to Saguaro over the whoop de doos with some friends following and warning me that the boat got airborne several times over the bumps I have used transom straps ever since unless it's a short trip, smooth roads.

Cmpdman
06-15-2011, 07:49 AM

I undo the transom boat buddies at our lakes "prepare boat for launch" place. It's about 30 yards from the ramp. I undo the front one only when the boat is in the water. I got these from Marine Products. Going there today:)

Cmpdman
06-15-2011, 07:54 AM

Wow!!! Man feel for you. I think we all have a few stories to tell & pictures to show. Thanks for sharing!

Hammer
06-15-2011, 08:27 AM
I always wait till I get at waters edge before unhooking the strap and BB. Had the crap scared out of me a couple years ago. I used to always drive on the trailer and let the BB catch and have the wife drive off to the tie down area. Till one day when we thought the BB had caught and the boat slid back about a foot I thought I was having a heart attack. Now I always drive on till the BB catches then jump in the bow and attach the strap and crank it tight.

tex
06-15-2011, 08:40 AM
It only takes once!!!

pmkkdx
06-15-2011, 08:43 AM
the ramps where we normally go are very long (when water low) and very steep (relatively speaking)... I watched a guy unload his fish/ski boat OB at the top of the ramp, sailed all the way to the water (probably 100-125 feet) with his entire family (wife & 3 pre-teen kids) loaded ... thankfully no one was injured (other than dad from the butt chewing he got immediately afterwards), boat belly badly scuffed (engine was in raised position, no damage to bottom or prop).

for me ... BB (now replaced with orange roller & safety chain) & winch strap hooked to water's edge, release BB and put a little slack in winch line, back on in ... while loading, drive on, tighten winch line, latch BB (now safety chain), pull up ramp.

I won't take the chance of dumping boat &/or passengers on ramp. Safety first!!!

(agree, it took some balls to post those pictures & experience, but stuff happens to everyone occassionally ... hopefully the rest of us listen & learn ... thanks for sharing as painful as it was!!!)

aaron.
06-15-2011, 08:45 AM
meh. after 11 years of mastercraft ownership, my boat has never moved an inch on the landing when unstrapped.. I don't have a private dock, so i'm trailering every time I ride.

probably a stupid risk if your landing is steep though. your buddy needs to a lesson in driving.

JohnE
06-15-2011, 09:36 AM

Sorry to read this. Thanks for sharing. I guarantee that will save someone else as plenty will see that and it will stick in their minds. May have happened to me if not for reading about this years ago.

DemolitionMan
06-15-2011, 09:59 AM

That sucks. How did you get the boat back on the trailer?

scott023
06-15-2011, 10:05 AM
That sucks. How did you get the boat back on the trailer?

We all want to know.

madman
06-15-2011, 10:35 AM
I put plug in, then unhook transom straps, then back in to water, start boat, then YELL at wife to get her arse out of the truck and unhook bb and winch line. To load, drive boat onto trailer, YELL at wife to get out of truck and connect winch line and bb, pull up ramp, reattach transom straps, pull plug, open beer and watch wife wipe down boat, get into truck on passenger side and take nap on the way home.

Over the years I have seen 5 different boats slide off their trailers while the owners were backing down the ramp. All but one of them were on trailers with rollers not bunks, I helped to put every boat back on it's trailer. Not that hard to do if you have 3 or more people to help. Years ago I used to back my ski sanger down with nothing connected to the trailer and never had it slide even an inch, but that boat didn't like comming off the trailer even after it was in plenty deep. Somewhere along the line I decided to quit taking chances and started leaving the bb and winch connected untill in the water.

east tx skier
06-15-2011, 10:47 AM

+1. Almost had my MC slide off the trailer. Will never unhook without the boat's being in the water again.

web
06-15-2011, 10:49 AM
I think I just joined the quit taking chances club. Even if it takes 45 seconds to unload instead of 30, I'll still be faster than most other people there. Some of the fishermen are pretty good though.

Shooter McKevin
06-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Don't make the mistake I made on the weekend. The winch was not locked! I just waxed the bottom of the boat and replaced my trailer bunks. Slid off like butter. The ironic thing is, I just had the prop serviced. Now it's back at the shop.

Hey perkins,

Like others have said, it takes a very big person to share your experience with us. Thank you. Sweet boat by the way.

Kevin

Kevin 89MC
06-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Wow Perkins, that is tough. Sweet looking '90. Hope everything checked out OK. A few years ago an elderly neighbor accidentally hit my trailer the one day it was parked on the street. Her car forced the trailer right out from under my boat. I can't find the pics on my computer, someday I'll post them if I ever find them. Similar issue, boat was half on the trailer & on the prop. Only thing damaged was the prop, boat buddy post ripped off, and surprisingly little damage to the trailer fender. To get mine back on, I braced the trailer wheels really well and hooked a tow strap to the u bolt on the bow, and slowly pulled it back on with my truck. Worked out very well. I was quite nervous driving it to work to get the boat buddy post welded back on, but the boat never moved at all. Needless to say I never stepped on the gas or brake very hard, but I did have to go on the highway for a while. Never been so nervous driving.
Kevin

perkinsperkins
06-16-2011, 11:44 PM
I suppose that I should have posted my pics in the Boat Ramp Bloopers thread! I picked up and installed my repaired prop this afternoon. I won't make the same mistake again.

How did I get the boat back on the trailer? Very slowly winched her back on with my wakeboard rope while backing the trailer up. Once the prop was off the ground, we winched and pushed the rest of the way. The bow eye was not happy!