PDA

View Full Version : Crank, but No Fire

nwhittuk10
06-14-2011, 04:21 PM
I have a 1990 Prostar 190 and it has sat all winter. When I went to start it the other day it would crank, but not fire up. We are pretty sure it is not firing as we tested the spark plug to see if there was any fire. I had read on here to next try and check the coil, which we did. I replaced the coil yesterday and the boat still does the same thing. Does anyone else have any suggestions as to what to check or do next? Any and all guesses are much appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

chawk610
06-14-2011, 04:38 PM
ok... if you pull the coil wire off the center of the dist. cap and hold it to the motor... does it spark when you turn it over?

JLeuck64
06-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Is the safety lanyard still clipped in? If so, does the little plastic clip have enough tension to close the switch completely?;)

Lance
06-14-2011, 05:33 PM
still have regular points (as opposed to electronic ignition upgrade)? ... The first thing that I would do in this scenario is take off the distributor cap and rotor, then rotate engine until breaker points were closed (making contact), then with the ignition on use a screwdriver to manually open and close the breaker points (by simply pushing the spring loaded arm away)' and you should clearly see a spark each time you open the points... If not, the problem is on upstream side meaning ignition switch, kill switch, wiring, etc. I have had a problem where a thin layer of corrosion (rust) formed under the breaker point mount plate such that it didn't have a good ground which was resolved bymremoving and then a wire brush or emery cloth to brighten things up.

If you do see a spark then it is likely a weak spark (meaning new coil is needed) or possibly bad distributor cap.

Table Rocker
06-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Make sure you have voltage going to and coming from the ballast resistor (unless it has been bypassed)

nwhittuk10
06-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Hey thanks for all of the help guys. It turned out to be the condenser (that was a cheap, but stressful fix). I appreciate all of the quick responses though.

Matt L.
06-16-2011, 10:46 AM
http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor2/default.aspx

Easiest, biggest bang for your buck upgrade you will ever do if you are still running points!

Later,

Matt

MrMan
06-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Matt L, have you or anyone else installed this electronic upgrade? Having same problems as Nwhittuk10 here on my '90 TriStar.