PDA

View Full Version : Dead Malls

DemolitionMan
06-14-2011, 03:16 PM
I know this is way off topic, but it is sad to see so many empty buildings. Is your town on the list?

http://deadmalls.com/features.html#AK

thatsmrmastercraft
06-14-2011, 03:27 PM
I know this is way off topic, but it is sad to see so many empty buildings. Is your town on the list?

http://deadmalls.com/features.html#AK

Think of how many remakes of the Blues Brothers there could be.

DemolitionMan
06-14-2011, 03:28 PM

Dixie Square Mall is where they filmed that movie.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Dixie Square Mall is where they filmed that movie.

Good answer.

DemolitionMan
06-14-2011, 03:56 PM
I believe that mall has been closed since 78.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-14-2011, 04:11 PM
I believe that mall has been closed since 78.

Dixie Square Mall was open from 1965 to 1978. The Blues Brothers movie scenes were shot there during an eight week period of 1979.

Brian B
06-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Future internment camps.

Slinkyredfoot
06-14-2011, 05:07 PM
It is kind of ironic that I read this thread this afternoon. I was traveling with one of our reps today and this same topic was brought up.

Areas of retail that thrived over the years and "For Lease" signs all over the place. Kinda sad really, all of the thriving businesses that have gone by the wayside. Guess it is just the sign of the times

DemolitionMan
06-14-2011, 06:11 PM
It is kind of ironic that I read this thread this afternoon. I was traveling with one of our reps today and this same topic was brought up.

Areas of retail that thrived over the years and "For Lease" signs all over the place. Kinda sad really, all of the thriving businesses that have gone by the wayside. Guess it is just the sign of the times

We demolish so many buildings for customers because it is cheaper to do that then pay the taxes on the building.

pmkkdx
06-14-2011, 06:20 PM
the one listed from Austin, Highland Mall, was the first (I think) large indoor malls in Austin from back in the early 70s, it continued to grow thru the 90s ... then more urban sprawl took a large portion of the population from that area, airport moved to current location SE of town, gangs started taking over the mall area and major store chains started closing up shop ... recently the Austin Community College (ACC) has purchased a large majority of the mall to use as class rooms and administrative as ACC is growing by leaps and bounds... guess ACC saw an opportunity with central location, infrastructure in place, parking, access, etc. At least it will get used for something in the not so distant future.

DemolitionMan
06-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Regency mall in Augusta has been closed since 2002. 800,000 square feet of empty space what a waste.

JimN
06-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Dixie Square Mall was open from 1965 to 1978. The Blues Brothers movie scenes were shot there during an eight week period of 1979.

"The new Oldsmobiles are out".

Jorski
06-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Just looked at the list..the oned listed in Toronto are just little old neighbourhood strip malls.

There is one list in Miami called the Omni. Remember going there as a kid. It was one of the first giant crazy malls with rides inside. It seemed 9at the time) like the biggest place ever. 4 or 5 floors, huge movie theatre.

Hadn't even recalled being there until I saw it on the list.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-14-2011, 08:51 PM

Pay attention at the 3:23 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oMtdXaqBx4

DemolitionMan
06-14-2011, 09:25 PM

Classic!!!!!!!!!!!

SkiDog
06-15-2011, 08:19 AM

Anybody recognize these dudes?

captain planet
06-15-2011, 09:51 AM

I need to rewatch that movie.

wakescene
06-15-2011, 01:46 PM
I checked the NJ list for dead malls, the 3 Paramus, NJ listings are completely FALSE. Infact those 3 listings are totally thriving now and even better than they were in the past. Bergen Mall especially. It's got a Home Depot with a Target store on top of it, plus a host of other high end stores. Funny how 5-7 years can change a landscape.

DemolitionMan
06-16-2011, 10:06 AM
I checked the NJ list for dead malls, the 3 Paramus, NJ listings are completely FALSE. Infact those 3 listings are totally thriving now and even better than they were in the past. Bergen Mall especially. It's got a Home Depot with a Target store on top of it, plus a host of other high end stores. Funny how 5-7 years can change a landscape.

Everything goes full circle.

TKWakeboarder
06-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Gotta love Illinois. I live in Joliet about 5 min from each of the dead malls. That is an understatement. I do miss the Venture that was located at the Hillcrest shopping center. Now it is just a bunch of cash for golds, hair braiding and Tj Maxx's. "Illinois, not the best place to live"

DemolitionMan
06-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Gotta love Illinois. I live in Joliet about 5 min from each of the dead malls. That is an understatement. I do miss the Venture that was located at the Hillcrest shopping center. Now it is just a bunch of cash for golds, hair braiding and Tj Maxx's. "Illinois, not the best place to live"

Hey that is where are President is from.

TKWakeboarder
06-17-2011, 02:06 PM
As well as Blago and Mr. Drew Peterson who now lives about 10 min from my house. I think its Statesville prison. When I think of something good that comes out of Illinois, I'll let you know.......Which reminds me Blues Bros. decided to make a name for themselves in Statesville. However they made it look a lot more classy.