PDA

View Full Version : What Boom is the best?

srelMCX-10
06-13-2011, 10:52 PM
HELP!
We own a 2005 X-10 and are looking to purchase a boom. We have 4 children 16,9,7, and 5 and plan on using it mostly as a teaching tool. We are not sure if the tower boom style will be too hard on our tower but better for closeness to driver and spray. Help we should have had this done already and are dying to use it! Mike Siepel advised us to purchase a V-Drive because it would be easier to put on in deep water. But..... farther back from driver and more spray?? Need the extension for sure with this one.... HELP!

duckguy
06-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Sounds fine just use an extension.

Kyle
06-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Mike at BI is a professional. He wants you happy with your boom. He doesn't want to sell you something just to sell you something. Make sure he knows what you are trying to do now and possibly different uses for a boom in years to come.

I have a 190 and my boom clamps on my pylon. I probably would get the tower boom but I am not teaching kids. I jump out of a moving boat hold onto the boom with a pigtail and swing out and foot on the 5' pigtail. That would be easier on a tower boom verses a trunk and sun bed to contend with.

I also have layed out on my boom while boat is underway and have tought my friends children how to ski by holding their vest and skis. That would be difficult with a v drive boom.

I don't have a clue where the spray would be on your boat. I would get other opinions and trust mike.

onejdgreen
06-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Trust the pro, like Kyle said he is not selling you to sell you, he knows what he is talking about. I have B.I. that mounts to the pylon of my 197TT, have thought about getting a tower mount...

ahhudgins
06-14-2011, 04:20 PM
I have used a boom mounted to the pylon on my PS190, and I now use a V-drive boom on my Maristar 200VRS. I had to add an extension to my V-drive boom in order to get small kids out of the spray when going slow speeds. Both methods work fine. I've never used a tower boom so I can't be much help in that department. Some people will put the boom on the starboard (drivers side) but almost all directions will tell you to put it on the port side. The driver is supposed to focus on driving while an observer instructs a skier.

I do have the B.I. V-drive boom (bought it off this board) and it takes two people to put it on, and you have to do it at the dock. It is a little awkward to adjust but not a problem with two people.