PDA

View Full Version : Interior - Have you replaced your cracked dash?

dboat
06-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Looking for input as to what others have done for replacing the dash where the guages and ignition is. My dash panel is cracked at each screw where they are mounted to the dash.

Would you replace it with - lexan from Lowes?
- UV resistant plastic from a plastics company like polycarbonate?
- Aluminum?
- Laminate like what countertops are made from?

I'm thinking about getting a piece of polycarbonate plastic and using a dremel tool to cut it out.

Is this a skill level for a DIY'er beginner?
Thanks in advance.

CantRepeat
06-14-2011, 12:29 AM
Did my 92 in carbon fiber.

Carbon fiber dash replacement. (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=525145#post525145)

psychobilly
06-14-2011, 07:00 AM
There was a guy that did his in Aluminum. I think it was that guy with the 240SC in the Netherlands or somewhere over in Europe. If I remember correctly he did swirls in the Aluminum too and it looked dang good. I need to do something with mine too as they are also cracked and broken....

chawk610
06-14-2011, 09:03 AM
WHOA!!! That CF looks awesome!!!!! I did mine in wood (under the keep it simple stupid) rule I try to live by! Of course... I have a "classic" boat.... lol

scog72
06-15-2011, 01:25 AM
I replaced mine last year. I have a '97 Maristar and had the same issues. Dash was starting to crack around the screws. I had a guy at work draw up some pieces to fit the old dash. He took the drawings to a local machine shop and got them to fab up some aluminum dash pieces. After we got the dash back, we took the pieces to a shop to get the words powder coated in black. Pretty dirty right now, but thought it turned out very good. Still have to finish the bottom right piece, but just glad to get the others done right now. Hope this helps!

scog72
06-15-2011, 01:27 AM
Also dboat, we tried the laminate that counters are made of and they didn't work well for us. The material we used was not durable enough to put on a boat in my opinion.

DooSPX
06-15-2011, 09:56 AM
scog72, that looks really good! The words are etched too correct?

Gofast
06-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Do you happen to still have the plans? Would the local shop be willing to cut a second set?

I have a 95 Maristar with the same dash and I nee to replace mine too. It is planned as next winters project, but love the way your turned out.

Thanks Rob

dboat
06-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Scog - mine's a 94 Maristar and looks very similar. Looks like I'll check out a shop close to check the cost.
Thanks for the replies and input everyone!

scog72
06-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Mine cost a total of like $250. May be a little high, but I shouldn't have to ever replace it.

dboat
06-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Scog, do you still have the plans for your dash? Were the guages easy to take off your old dash to swap to your new dash?

scog72
07-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Sorry dboat, I dont have the plans. If you take the old pieces to the shop, they will be able to draw it our and make sure it is exact anyways. The gauges were not too bad, we just tie wrapped each gauge's wires together and labeled on a sheet of paper which wire went where. Just a little bit time consuming, but we wanted to make sure it was right. Don't know if it had anything to do with it but the first time we swapped panels it messed up my fuel sending unit. So the next time we disconnected the battery and did not have any issues. After we got the panels made we took them to another shop and got them to powdercoat the words black. Hope this helps.

O2BESOHUGE
07-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Did my 92 in carbon fiber.

Carbon fiber dash replacement. (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=525145#post525145)

how did your 92 turn out?