PDA

View Full Version : How to install a battery charger with this setup??

vandit0022
06-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Tried posting this in the battery thread but no response.

I want to install a battery charger in my boat. Either a Guest or ProMariner. Is it as simple as mounting the thing on the partition and attaching the leads to the + and - on both batteries?

I have a Guest 1, 2, Both and Off switch, and a battery on either side of the boat. Theres just a ton of wires connected to them, and I have no idea how they are all linked up. Here are some photos. It appears the positives are both into some kind of small boxes on both sides of the boat. See pictures below. 1st and 2nd are star side battery, guest switch and the little box the positives are attached to, 3 and 4 are port side same. Any advice?

frosty
06-13-2011, 06:19 PM
I don't know much about how your particular boat is wired, I suspect that one of those boxes the batteries are hooked to is an automatic charge relay, so both batteries will combine for charging by the alternator automatically.
Do you run the Perko in position #1 normally?
1) I would get a 2 or 3 bank shore charger, and hook just one bank to one of your batteries, I think the charge relay will allow both batteries to be charged.
2) The best way IMO, is to disable the charge relay when using shore power, and use the charger's separate banks to charge & maintain the batteries separately.
If #1 above works for you, you could use the 2nd bank on the charger for a future upgrade to a completely separate stereo battery bank.
Hope this helps, I saw your post on the other thread, but I was hoping someone who knew more about your boat would chime in!
BTW, the year of your x-80 might help someone.

bobx1
06-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Here is a good link that may help explain your setup:

http://www.yandina.com/acrobats/C70Manual.pdf

Also notice on the last page of my link, it says:

"A single output shore power charger can-be directly connected to the load side of the house battery switch, or the common terminal of a single battery switch. Multi-bank chargers can be connected to each of the battery banks, or can have their outputs connected together to one battery bank. If you have dual alternators, connect each directly to its own bank, so when the Combiner closes the circuit, either engine will be charging both battery banks."