PDA

View Full Version : Prop Failure

norris_ps205
06-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Cruising along at about 28 mph and sudden bad vibration that shook the entire boat. Didn't hit anything, no damage to tracking fins or rudder. The blade just sheared off. Lucky I have great lake neighbors with lots of spare parts!

blakehardesty
06-13-2011, 03:39 PM
I have been around MC's and other boats of all types my whole life and have never heard of anything like this. Bummer man.

Dawg
06-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Looks like an Acme. I am sure the engineers would like to take a closer look at that one.

captain planet
06-13-2011, 03:47 PM
I have been around MC's and other boats of all types my whole life and have never heard of anything like this. Bummer man.

My brother had a blade come off his Evinrude 235 at about 65 mph on his bass boat. It didn't do any damage but ended his chances in the tournament he was in that day pretty quick. He had to limp it back to the dock and didn't have a spare with him.

willyt
06-13-2011, 04:00 PM
I've heard of this happening... but only to very, very old props. crazy weird - and i think thats an OJ from the blade design, ACME's blades are not as rounded. I'd send that one back to ERIC to determine what went wrong - definitely doesnt looks like any of the other blades have damage.

agarabaghi
06-13-2011, 04:01 PM
someone looks po'd haha

scott023
06-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Wow, that's messed up. I hadn't heard of this happening until now.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Wouldn't have wanted to be in the way when that blade let loose. How is the bottom of the boat?

G-Star
06-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Wouldn't have wanted to be in the way when that blade let loose. How is the bottom of the boat?

There should be a better than 50/50 chance it went the right way and didn't touch the boat... :D

thatsmrmastercraft
06-13-2011, 04:39 PM
There should be a better than 50/50 chance it went the right way and didn't touch the boat... :D

I am a big believer in the 50/50/90 rule stating that if there is a 50% chance of being right, the actual odds work out to a 90% chance of being wrong.

G-Star
06-13-2011, 04:41 PM
I am a big believer in the 50/50/90 rule stating that if there is a 50% chance of being right, the actual odds work out to a 90% chance of being wrong.

I think Murphy has something to say about that as well.

Certainly not a good situation when you're out on the lake, but look on the bright side... a 3 blade prop is supposed to be more efficient.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-13-2011, 04:43 PM
I think Murphy has something to say about that as well.

Certainly not a good situation when you're out on the lake, but look on the bright side... a 3 blade prop is supposed to be more efficient.

Works on my boat.

Cmpdman
06-13-2011, 04:48 PM
I've never seen that before. Good thing you have great neighbors!

2RLAKE
06-18-2011, 04:30 PM
The origin to me looked as if there was an manufacturing pit near the hub and it was benched out creating a stress point. I think at some point of time you hit something, further stress, then over time it just fatigued and failed. I have never seen a prop fatigue as yours did ... Would send it back as a manufacturing defect

If you were in California you could probably file a lawsuit against MC as those idiots did with their overloaded X45 and 12 people in the bow ... Come to think of it ... You have a child endangerment potential as your boat drifted helplessly down the lake as your wife laid drunk on the dock ....

2RLAKE
06-18-2011, 04:33 PM
No worries ... Your favorite neighbor will install your new prop tomorrow

MasterKraftS&S
06-18-2011, 04:43 PM
No worries ... Your favorite neighbor will install your new prop tomorrow

CLASSIC! I also Like the "Child Endangerment" card but don't forget public nuisance, OR LITTERING! How long before the lake is FULL of those blades?

PS My neighbors aren't THAT helpful AND you just gave me justification for KEEPING with the Original 3-blade I've been turning since 1986! Woot

2RLAKE
06-18-2011, 07:03 PM
CLASSIC! I also Like the "Child Endangerment" card but don't forget public nuisance, OR LITTERING! How long before the lake is FULL of those blades?

PS My neighbors aren't THAT helpful AND you just gave me justification for KEEPING with the Original 3-blade I've been turning since 1986! Woot

Great poin ... Never thought about the fact that I could be ba?r,scooting down the cove and your prop blade could be right there and cur off my other bif toe ... Pops I better not go there or I'll embarrass myself (again)

BTW ... When I was putting your prop on it require a litle muscle ... When I was swinging the sledge hammer I accidentally hit your gel coat a little ... It doesn't look too bad after we expoxied the chunk back into place. Remember that red duct tape I have? Well, you can't even see it now ... Like a good neighbor 2RLAKE is there! Hey I like the sound of that

2RLAKE
06-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Hey Norris205 ... i instaled your new prop yesterday ... funniest looking 3 blade i have ever seen! This is the one i found in the back of your Suburban. It really vibrated bad .... i had a hard time getting up to full speed ... i thought the tower was going to shake off

Shouldn't all those blade be 120 degress apart????

2RLAKE
06-20-2011, 11:51 AM
there was another prop in the back of your Suburban, but it was al shiny and new, and since you don thave a boat lift (yet) i didn't think you wanted it in the water

TxsRiverRat
06-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Three blade prop - looks great to me :grin:

steved1323
06-20-2011, 12:47 PM
I have an 05 X-Star that two weekends ago did the same thing only done it at about 22mph! We had about 595 hrs on that prop.The other blades were fine but the one that broke off broke futher down than yours did toward the hub. We think it was a stress fracture. We are going to send te prop in to be looked at.

2RLAKE
06-21-2011, 06:15 AM
i would ... OEM props are great and understand they will not last forever; however, Norris's prop show classic fatigue overload and it very unlikely the initiation point was from hitting something ... hitting a log would be further out on the blade

norris_ps205
06-21-2011, 08:54 AM
The origin to me looked as if there was an manufacturing pit near the hub and it was benched out creating a stress point. I think at some point of time you hit something, further stress, then over time it just fatigued and failed. I have never seen a prop fatigue as yours did ... Would send it back as a manufacturing defect

If you were in California you could probably file a lawsuit against MC as those idiots did with their overloaded X45 and 12 people in the bow ... Come to think of it ... You have a child endangerment potential as your boat drifted helplessly down the lake as your wife laid drunk on the dock ....

...next to your wife.

norris_ps205
06-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Great poin ... Never thought about the fact that I could be ba?r,scooting down the cove and your prop blade could be right there and cur off my other bif toe ... Pops I better not go there or I'll embarrass myself (again)

BTW ... When I was putting your prop on it require a litle muscle ... When I was swinging the sledge hammer I accidentally hit your gel coat a little ... It doesn't look too bad after we expoxied the chunk back into place. Remember that red duct tape I have? Well, you can't even see it now ... Like a good neighbor 2RLAKE is there! Hey I like the sound of that

Looks like you had a great time installing my prop and documenting the whole thing here...sorry I wasn't there to provide the needed muscle...I'm surprised you were able to actually lift the sledgehammer...I'm assuming the wives had to help you with that?! Thanks!

DemolitionMan
06-21-2011, 09:04 AM
That is just crazy, I have never seen that happen before. Let us know what Eric says?

EJ OJPROP
06-21-2011, 09:16 AM
This prop has been repaired, at least once by us. The blades can get stressed from the damage, from the repair, from extreme loads, get thin in the blade root and a crack can start. Unfortunately, this can happen.

norris_ps205
06-21-2011, 11:06 AM
This prop has been repaired, at least once by us. The blades can get stressed from the damage, from the repair, from extreme loads, get thin in the blade root and a crack can start. Unfortunately, this can happen.

Just wanted to note that Eric has been very helpful and sent me several pm's offering his thoughts on what may have happened as well as assistance in replacing the prop. Great service and attention...Thanks Eric!

ahhudgins
06-21-2011, 12:12 PM

With my luck, the blade would have come thru the bottom of the hull and ended up lodged in the rear seat. It seems rare, but maybe that's one more thing I'll have to look at from time to time.

2RLAKE
06-22-2011, 01:44 AM

correct ... nothing lasts forever ... you make great props

sully
06-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Seems like a good time expermint with differn't pitches and diameters and maybe even a differn't brand.

psychobilly
06-23-2011, 07:34 AM
The plates on the ride in the back ground got me... LMAO!!!!

****where's he going???? TO R LAKE DOHHH***** LMAO

2RLAKE
06-23-2011, 07:51 AM
The plates on the ride in the back ground got me... LMAO!!!!

****where's he going???? TO R LAKE DOHHH***** LMAO

excellent .. figured someone would see that and make a connection ...