PDA

View Full Version : HELP?? just got 02 xstar

beaverxstar
06-13-2011, 01:38 PM
i need some advice, i just purchase an 02 xstar, and put it in the water for the second time this weekend and messed my prop up on some rocks while picking up my brother after launching the boat. it seemed like it ran fine all day in the water, it wasnt until the end of the day when we pulled it out i noticed some scratches and very small crack/ bent little tear in the prop. do i need to buy a new prop, can i get it repaired, or should i continue to use it.

rspiecha
06-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Do you feel any vibration in the driveline???? Depending on extent of damage, the prob can be fixed. I would still purchase a new prop, they are some much better now, and get the old prop fixed and kept as a spare.

Rob

beaverxstar
06-13-2011, 02:01 PM
i did not notice any vibration, we surfed all day and it ran at top speed fine, the crack in one of the blades is no bigger than 1/8 inch, what kind of prop should i buy, should i upgrade to a better one or buy the same thing?

Ski-me
06-13-2011, 02:11 PM
ACME or OJ props are the top ones. Depending on what you have and how you ultimately want the boat to behave is up to you. These guys can help you dial in the boat a little better by tweaking the prop number a bit. Then keep the dinged up one as a backup spare. Always good to have.

Mine is an old boat and did wonders to the performance (I got an OJ prop).....

beaverxstar
06-13-2011, 03:19 PM
thanks alot for the advice guys, i found an OJ 14.25x14.5 on ebay for 316$ is this a good deal or should i shop around

kskonn
06-13-2011, 03:28 PM
You should call OJ or Acme and tell them what kind of boat and what you use it for and they will tell you which Prop you should run. Once you have that info then you can shop around for a good price. I have always just bought new, you get exactly what you want for a little more.

76S&S
06-13-2011, 03:30 PM
That's a good price, assuming it is in good condition. You could give Eric a quick call at OJ props and he could give you some great advice on prop selection. Prop selection depends on how you plan to use your boat and how much weight you will be running. There's a prop for every situation, you need to find the best compromise for your use.

Ski-me
06-13-2011, 04:26 PM
One good thing with Eric and a new prop.....you can try it and if it's not quite right, you can get a different one. Keep trying till you get it just perfect.

Buying used, well, you're stuck with it even if it doesn't work too well. I'd say spend the extra $100 or so and get the right one.

rspiecha
06-13-2011, 04:34 PM
I also recommend talking with Eric. He helped me out on my last boat. Made a world of difference, but that was a slalom boat.

Rob

kal_dude
06-24-2011, 09:47 PM
i have the stock prop that came off my 02 X star if your interested give me a call
kal
262-968-2514
414-801-0297 cell

Thrall
06-24-2011, 10:01 PM
That one on fleabay is a good deal but make sure it's a new or professionally reconditioned prop. Ones much worse than yours can be fixed but I wouldn't trust buying a re furb prop sight unseen. FOr $316 it's probably not new.
That prop and others that are 14.xx by 14.xx will raise your rpms at a given speed, give you more hole shot and typically reduce top end speed a bit. If you're loading he boat down and primarily sufr/wakeboard it's good for you just be aware you'll lose a few mph up top and may use more gas.