PDA

View Full Version : Flat Tire

nickespi
06-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Walk out this morning to a nice surprise. A dang flat tire. Guess it's to the tire shop for me.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Walk out this morning to a nice surprise. A dang flat tire. Guess it's to the tire shop for me.

Not that bad if it is only flat on the bottom.

Beware of the Goodyear Marathon.

nickespi
06-13-2011, 01:02 PM
I picked up a screw in it somewhere along the way. It is a Marathon...is there sometihng wrong with these tires?

willyt
06-13-2011, 01:49 PM
slight threadjack - need new trailer tires on the ole X2 trailer before the trip down to tennessee- its a single axle so i have to get the 225 75R15 D's, and havent seen any other tires that fit other than the radials for that size/rating. Anybody seen any other brands?

Kyle
06-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Not that bad if it is only flat on the bottom.

Beware of the Goodyear Marathon.

Please explain. Going to discount tire later today because one of my gy tires separated. Hope it doesn't blow out on the way to the shop.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Please explain. Going to discount tire later today because one of my gy tires separated. Hope it doesn't blow out on the way to the shop.

Goodyear Marathons have a history of coming apart. Look through any tire thread on this site and you will find someone with a story of Marathon problems.

-V-
06-13-2011, 02:37 PM
last year when i re-worked my trailer i put 4 brand new Carlisle Radial tires on my boat. I have heard good and bad, but I drove from San Antonio Texas to Cleveland Ohio with no problems (knock on wood). and i drove at a speed a little bit faster than usual. I had a total of 14,000 pounds between my truck and boat with stuff. So i guess the Carlisle are a decent tire.

Jeff d
06-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm wondering if Marathons are really that bad or if it's just that they're the most common trailer tire combined with the fact that most people let their trailer tires go way too long because they "look" ok.

I had two Marathons separate before I decided to replace all four of my 10 year old tires. In the future I will replace trailer tires sooner even if they look fine. I replaced them with ProMeter trailer tires and they've been fine but it's only been a year and very few miles.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-13-2011, 03:07 PM
If a person replaces their trailer tires every 4 years, there is enough tread left to sell the tires on craigslist and offset part of the expense.

Jeff d
06-13-2011, 04:17 PM
If a person replaces their trailer tires every 4 years, there is enough tread left to sell the tires on craigslist and offset part of the expense.

This isn't a bad idea especially for those that don't put many miles on them.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-13-2011, 04:30 PM
This isn't a bad idea especially for those that don't put many miles on them.

Selling used trailer tires is easy as can be.

If you ever notice the guys with the RV's use tire covers to extend the tire life. Sun kills tires almost as fast as under-inflation / overloading.

Slinkyredfoot
06-13-2011, 07:39 PM
I had several Flat Tires over the weekend, buddy turned me on to them. We were walking around laughing our butts off for no apparent reason, and our ladies just shook their heads.

I agree with everything previously posted about a flat tire, and may I just add, check your tire pressure before a kong haul.

nickespi
06-13-2011, 08:55 PM
I had several Flat Tires over the weekend, buddy turned me on to them. We were walking around laughing our butts off for no apparent reason, and our ladies just shook their heads.

I agree with everything previously posted about a flat tire, and may I just add, check your tire pressure before a kong haul.

Do you mean Fat Tires??? LOL

thatsmrmastercraft
06-13-2011, 10:28 PM

As long as we are working over Slinky, is a kong haul longer than a long haul?

Stephen Nordquist
06-14-2011, 02:02 AM
My tires are only six years old and the rubber valve stems are badly cracked. this will cause slow leaks which could cause under inflation and tire failure.Maybe all those tire failures and blowouts were caused by faulty valve stems. Please check if you plan on long trips for your safety.

Slinkyredfoot
06-14-2011, 07:50 AM
As long as we are working over Slinky, is a kong haul longer than a long haul?

Much longer