PDA

View Full Version : Keeping an '06 Xstar on a Buoy

Xstar24
06-13-2011, 12:17 PM
I have a 2006 X-star that I keep up at Lake Tahoe. Usually I only keep the boat on the buoy while I am there.

This summer I am contemplating leaving it covered and on the buoy for a couple of months. With the low front end of the boat I am wondering if it will be a problem as Lake Tahoe can get rough. Does anyone have any experience leaving a similar MasterCraft on a Buoy.

Thanks

blakehardesty
06-13-2011, 12:24 PM
I would read through this thread first.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=41601

kkkeating
06-13-2011, 12:55 PM
I have a friend who sunk his Mastercraft overnight on Lake Tahoe due to the wind picking up and creating large waves. The bilge pump only worked so long before the batteries discharged and then the boat just filled with water. Depending on the boat location, as certain parts of the lake can be calmer and how well your cover fits and sheds water is a big factor. The lake can get rough quickly. I'd use a solar charger just to ensure the battery is always charged.

Xstar24
06-13-2011, 01:01 PM
I got my cover from MasterCraft and it fits really really tight.

However, from what I am hearing it is probably only a good idea to have it on the buoy when I am there to keep an eye on it.

agarabaghi
06-13-2011, 01:57 PM
for months? That seems crazy.

-V-
06-13-2011, 02:09 PM
is it the stack cover from mastercraft? the reason i ask is because i am looking for a new cover, mine has taken a beating and its time to get a new one.

Huskie05
06-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Knowing what I know about Tahoe, I could never leave my boat that long. I would be nervous overnight. I vote no, find storage.. Seems to be a trend of 45's and 55's sinking lately. Great boats, but they do ride lower than others.

jeffbare
06-13-2011, 06:04 PM
What part of the lake? Is there anyone there to keep an eye on it? I worked on the Hyatt dock for the summer of 2002, and saw 18 boats sink in one storm at Incline alone. There are a lot of people that leave thier boats on bouys all summer with out any problems, esepecially on the West shore. North shore can get really nasty when the wind picks up.