PDA

View Full Version : trailer guide breakthrough

Miss Rita
06-13-2011, 11:51 AM
I, like many others, have been looking for new plastic tubing to replace the broken black guides on my trailer. I was at the MC dealer in Minneapolis one year ago, and they were sold out. Why should this be so difficult?

My local Ace Hardware store came through; Lowe's didn't carry it. They sold me a piece of white thinwall PVC tubing, 1.5", that is an exact match for the old stuff. Since it will be covered by padding color doesn't matter. All for just $5.82.

nickespi
06-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Great info!

DemolitionMan
06-13-2011, 12:12 PM
I am sure it would not have been that cheap at the dealer.

Kyle
06-13-2011, 03:17 PM
I am sure it would not have been that cheap at the dealer.

No kidding. Prolly 16.97 per side.

Hrkdrivr
06-13-2011, 04:27 PM
It's uncanny how they came up with dimensions that don't match ANYTHING you can find in hardware/plumbing supply stores.

Ace Hardware huh? I'll be checking them out...

CiscoStu
06-13-2011, 04:30 PM
I've never had a problem getting them here... My local board shop (not the MC dealer) has a big box of BLUE and a big box of BLACK covers, with both foam and cover for $20/pair. Maybe I'll buy the whole box and sell them on MarketPlace?

Jeff d
06-13-2011, 05:13 PM
I looked/asked about a year ago at our Ace hardware and they didn't have the thinner wall stuff. I figured I could get it at a plumbing supply place if I really wanted it but I decided just to cover them with guide pole covers

gimmemoedmb
06-14-2011, 02:21 PM
I actually purchased some at Midwest Mastercraft last year, maybe I beat ya to it Rita. It was only like $12 for both sides, pretty cheap.

sully
06-14-2011, 07:28 PM
I, like many others, have been looking for new plastic tubing to replace the broken black guides on my trailer. I was at the MC dealer in Minneapolis one year ago, and they were sold out. Why should this be so difficult?

My local Ace Hardware store came through; Lowe's didn't carry it. They sold me a piece of white thinwall PVC tubing, 1.5", that is an exact match for the old stuff. Since it will be covered by padding color doesn't matter. All for just $5.82.

The trouble with the white PVC is that it's for plumbing and is not designed against ultroviolet rays from the sun. If you can get the grey PVC conduit. It should hold up better.

Miss Rita
06-15-2011, 12:39 AM
FWIW, I've had PVC guides on my other boat since new in 1991. They show no weathering whatsoever. The guides on the MC will be covered with pads, so sun exposure isn't an issue. Gray PVC conduit doesn't come in the right size; been there, done that. CPVC doesn't come in the right size. I went to a local plumbing warehouse, they had no idea where to get the black stuff.

deminimis
06-27-2011, 01:31 PM
What a pain. Can't find the right size (mine is 1-3/4 I/S). No MC dealer within 100+ miles from me. Home Depot has nothing either. The search continues.

SpryBeast
06-27-2011, 04:33 PM
I found thinwall white 1.5" at a sprinkler supply store.