PDA

View Full Version : +1 for MC over BU

gatorguy
06-12-2011, 11:46 PM
So here is a picture of my friend surfing behind my 97 ps205 last Saturday morning. I had 750lbs in the back under the seat which was up in the sunpad position, and 750lbs down the side. It's a crappy shot from the Iphone while I was driving, but from peak to trough it is waist high. Not to shabby for a wake-less slalom boat. We also wakeborded that day with the fat sacks on either side of the engine.

The whole time he kept saying how much better the wakes were than his brothers Calabria, his friends wakesetter, and his own I/O. At noon our wives and little kids showed up and he launched his boat which wouldn't start without a jump. Last time out it also wouldn't run, and he lost a bunk off the trailer when he launched. Needless to say it's been giving him some trouble. Anyway we went out and anchored and ate lunch floating in a cove. We had a great time, but his wife and kids stayed on our boat the whole time under the bimini.

Well the whole time I was ribbing him about his boat problems, and bet him he would have a new boat within 3 months. Well he had a new one 4 days later. He got a great deal on a little '08 20' Wakesetter with 20hrs. It's a great looking boat, and has a bimini and every possible option. He took it out, and liked the wakeboard wake, but is ticked off because he can't surf it with the stock setup, which is the main reason he bought the thing. So I had to kid him a little more about buying a BU. He didn't even test drive it.

CantRepeat
06-12-2011, 11:50 PM
Not like we haven't seen post about POS MCs here either?

One day it's you and the next its the other guy.

gatorguy
06-12-2011, 11:57 PM

I also like my Ford better than a Chevy, Mac over PC, AT&T over sprint, DD over VD.... I realize it's lame. His new boat is really sweet, and I personally like the BU tower better than all others. My main point is that even after riding in my boat and liking it better than anything else he's been in he bought something else untested. With a little modification he should be able to build a sweet surf wake, but it still is not the boat for me, because I'm a DD slalom kind of guy.

CantRepeat
06-13-2011, 12:23 AM
i prefer brunettes.

supturb89
06-13-2011, 08:36 AM
So here is a picture of my friend surfing behind my 97 ps205 last Saturday morning. I had 750lbs in the back under the seat which was up in the sunpad position, and 750lbs down the side. It's a crappy shot from the Iphone while I was driving, but from peak to trough it is waist high. Not to shabby for a wake-less slalom boat. We also wakeborded that day with the fat sacks on either side of the engine.

The whole time he kept saying how much better the wakes were than his brothers Calabria, his friends wakesetter, and his own I/O. At noon our wives and little kids showed up and he launched his boat which wouldn't start without a jump. Last time out it also wouldn't run, and he lost a bunk off the trailer when he launched. Needless to say it's been giving him some trouble. Anyway we went out and anchored and ate lunch floating in a cove. We had a great time, but his wife and kids stayed on our boat the whole time under the bimini.

Well the whole time I was ribbing him about his boat problems, and bet him he would have a new boat within 3 months. Well he had a new one 4 days later. He got a great deal on a little '08 20' Wakesetter with 20hrs. It's a great looking boat, and has a bimini and every possible option. He took it out, and liked the wakeboard wake, but is ticked off because he can't surf it with the stock setup, which is the main reason he bought the thing. So I had to kid him a little more about buying a BU. He didn't even test drive it.

With this much ballast how far in the water is the boat sitting? Been thinking about picking up some sacks and trying to surf my 205 but my concern is the fuel vent with this much weight.

gatorguy
06-13-2011, 08:59 AM
With this much ballast how far in the water is the boat sitting? Been thinking about picking up some sacks and trying to surf my 205 but my concern is the fuel vent with this much weight.

The boat sits right at the rub rail. It is absolutely over loaded and very dangerous to drive, but it hasn't sunk yet. I keep an eye on the vent. Water splashes it, but it doesn't sit under water.

FourFourty
06-13-2011, 09:33 AM
So....you are sayin that your MC with a bunch of fat sacks has a bigger wake than a BU without any additional ballast??

blakehardesty
06-13-2011, 10:11 AM
I dont care what boat anyone has. No additional sacs means not that great of surf wake. My buddy just surfed a '10 x-45 and said they had to put an additional 3500 to make it surf GREAT.

agarabaghi
06-13-2011, 10:19 AM
I dont care what boat anyone has. No additional sacs means not that great of surf wake. My buddy just surfed a '10 x-45 and said they had to put an additional 3500 to make it surf GREAT.

They are doing it wrong.

FourFourty
06-13-2011, 10:30 AM

3500lbs extra?!?! I would think something is wrong there.... I cant speak for the X45...... But my X25 has a great surf wake with the kgb full, locker hard tank full on the surf side and a 300lb fly high bag full in that same locker. I have surf tabs and an attitude plate which help tune the wake a little bit also...... 3500lbs.....holy chit

nickespi
06-13-2011, 10:37 AM
I surf my X-30 with stock KGB and stock surf side hard tank. It's not a huge swell, but it's surfable. 3500lb for an X-45 is ridiculous

gatorguy
06-13-2011, 10:49 AM
So....you are sayin that your MC with a bunch of fat sacks has a bigger wake than a BU without any additional ballast??

Well, his intent was to buy a boat that worked right off the shelf without any aftermarket mods. He's calling wakemakers today to get some integrated ballast to add in.

kskonn
06-13-2011, 10:52 AM
I surf my X-30 stock, I can make a much larger wake surf with fat sacks if I have someone who is a really good surfer with me in the boat, but for me and my 1 month of surfing experience stock is more than adequate.

FourFourty
06-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Well, his intent was to buy a boat that worked right off the shelf without any aftermarket mods. He's calling wakemakers today to get some integrated ballast to add in.

Ya. I was just bustin your balls...

Tell him not to feel bad. I had to get sacks in a brand new MC to get it to have a nice surf wake also. I think this applies to all of them....

blakehardesty
06-13-2011, 12:11 PM
I didnt say they needed 3500 to surf. Just to make it GREAT. He has a DD supra launch and puts 2000# on top of factory every time

east tx skier
06-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Wabbit season.

dirtk38
06-13-2011, 10:25 PM
So here is a picture of my friend surfing behind my 97 ps205 last Saturday morning. I had 750lbs in the back under the seat which was up in the sunpad position, and 750lbs down the side.

How fast are you going? I'm still trying to figure out wakesurfing behind my '98 205.

gatorguy
06-13-2011, 11:47 PM
10-11 MPH. We can now throw the handle. Also for it not being a monster like the big boats like x-45, you can still get pretty far back on the wake and then work yourself back forward.

chawk610
06-14-2011, 07:54 AM

One day it's you and the next its the other guy.

VERY TRUE... I have been towed in a time or two... Heck... Battery died on me just last Saturday night!!!!!

shepherd
06-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Dead battery isn't a sign of an inferior boat, but an inferior owner. I've been inferior a few times myself.

DemolitionMan
06-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Dead battery isn't a sign of an inferior boat, but an inferior owner. I've been inferior a few times myself.

I have been there myself.