PDA

View Full Version : No speaker sound on 09 X-35

Viktimize
06-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Well 'll be the latest one in the rash of stereo problems. I just put my boat in the water for the first time yesterday, and I have absolutely no sound at all from any of the speakers. It is an 09 X-35 with JL amps, and 4 speakers on the tower. Head unit looks like it is working fine, stereo amp fuses(60A) in the rear compartment are good, amp lights are all green, stereo control at drivers seat reads ipod songs and shows volume changes, speakers don't even pop or feedback when I unplug and replug any of the RCA's. Everything looks correct except for the speakers having no sound.

The boat was checked out good before being shipped from Texas this winter. I assume it is something simple that probably came loose or something during shipping. I spent 30 minutes in the hole looking at wires behind the deck and amps, and wasn't able to find anything.

EDIT- Original owner just informed me he removed a "wetsounds equalizer" before selling. Where would this hook into that I could check??

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Viktimize
06-13-2011, 12:23 PM
There has to be some audio guys here that have installed a wetsounds equalizer before?? I'm pretty much positive the problem is due to something that was missed when the original clarion deck was reinstalled. I just can't think of any one thing that would make every single speaker not work.

Thrall
06-13-2011, 12:51 PM
The Wetsounds equalizer did not go in place of the Clarion deck, it was in line between the deck and the amps (Pre amp outputs form deck run to EQ, signal from EQ to amps). The Clarion deck will have 3? pre amp outputs (RCA jacks) and those should run in some configuration to the amps. Check that they are hooked up to the head unit. PO may have unplugged the rca's from the headunit to the EQ and the cables from the eq to the amps may not be connected to anything on the upstream end.
If the vol goes up/down, then I don't think the radio could be stuck on mute, but check that.
To make sure the amps are working, you can plug your Ipod into the amp inputs with a headphone jack to RCA connector.
Like you said, it's gotta be something simple.

kskonn
06-13-2011, 03:35 PM
I just put a Wetsounds WS450(the EQ he is referencing in my boat). There is a set of RCA's that run from the Head Unit to the EQ and then from the EQ to the AMP. Most likely he just pulled out the EQ and did not take the time to re-route the RCA cables. In theory you should just need to trace the RCA cable from the AMPs and then plug them in to the head unit.They are probably unplugged wherever he had the EQ mounted.

Viktimize
06-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Does anyone know where i can find the pinout for this clarion deck?

There are 4 rca leads out of the headunit. Black, red, grey, and purple. Red are the only ones hooked to anything. And they run dOwn the front of the hull somewhere. Kind of a pita to trace anything under there until i cut the zipties off. But it just started pouring on me.

JimN
06-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Well 'll be the latest one in the rash of stereo problems. I just put my boat in the water for the first time yesterday, and I have absolutely no sound at all from any of the speakers. It is an 09 X-35 with JL amps, and 4 speakers on the tower. Head unit looks like it is working fine, stereo amp fuses(60A) in the rear compartment are good, amp lights are all green, stereo control at drivers seat reads ipod songs and shows volume changes, speakers don't even pop or feedback when I unplug and replug any of the RCA's. Everything looks correct except for the speakers having no sound.

The boat was checked out good before being shipped from Texas this winter. I assume it is something simple that probably came loose or something during shipping. I spent 30 minutes in the hole looking at wires behind the deck and amps, and wasn't able to find anything.

EDIT- Original owner just informed me he removed a "wetsounds equalizer" before selling. Where would this hook into that I could check??

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Follow the audio cables from the head unit and you'll see where the EQ should have been. If they weren't re-connected, you'll get no sound.

If you don't have a multi-meter, get one and become familiar with it. It can tell you a lot.

Colorado X14er
06-14-2011, 10:55 AM
My 09 X-14 last weekend suddenly had no output from my sub, worked last time on the lake just fine. I crawled under to look at the amps and saw that the green power light on the amp was lit on one amp, not the other. I looked for anything that made sense than eventually saw that the large red power cable fitting was a bit loose, moved it some and the sub had sound. Not a very good connector so maybe this could be the problem? Apologize if this seems a bit simplistic, is your power source good?

EarmarkMarine
06-14-2011, 12:15 PM
A Wetsounds EQ would necessitate a single RCA cable going from the HU to the EQ and three RCA runs coming from the EQ and going to the various amplifiers.
For now, its too early to start tracing down the long to and from RCA transverse runs when you already know exactly where they terminate.
Start by finding where the EQ was previously mounted (probably underdash) and use a female-to-female RCA barrel connector to jumper an in and out RCA. Or, you can use a long and temporarily RCA jumper to run directly from a source unit output to an amplifier input. This will be the most efficient way to confirm your suspicions. Btw, clearly label everything and leave bread crumbs before disconnecting anything. And, do not plug-in/out RCAs while the system is 'on'.

David
Earmark Marine

Viktimize
06-15-2011, 12:44 PM
A Wetsounds EQ would necessitate a single RCA cable going from the HU to the EQ and three RCA runs coming from the EQ and going to the various amplifiers.
For now, its too early to start tracing down the long to and from RCA transverse runs when you already know exactly where they terminate.
Start by finding where the EQ was previously mounted (probably underdash) and use a female-to-female RCA barrel connector to jumper an in and out RCA. Or, you can use a long and temporarily RCA jumper to run directly from a source unit output to an amplifier input. This will be the most efficient way to confirm your suspicions. Btw, clearly label everything and leave bread crumbs before disconnecting anything. And, do not plug-in/out RCAs while the system is 'on'.

David
Earmark Marine

Thanks. I'll just start running a spare RCA set to the amps from my dead ends, and see if I come up with any sound.

Viktimize
06-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Not that anyone cares. But I know I hate searching and finding my exact problem, only to find the OP never came back and say what the problem eventually turned out to be.

So everything is good now. The RCA's from the Amp, were plugged into some random RCA's going up to the front of the hull somewhere. I still have no idea what that wiring was for?? Even with the wetsounds EQ, it should just be inline between the amp and headunit. Maybe he had a seperate speaker ran for his megaphone system??

Anyway, I unplugged those 3 RCA's, and plugged them into the RCA outputs on the back of the headunit. Speakers seemed to be doing their job now. If only I could get a sunny day to take the boat to the lake now.

mseller
06-27-2011, 02:46 PM
glad to hear it! sending hot weather your way!

Shooter McKevin
06-27-2011, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE If only I could get a sunny day to take the boat to the lake now.[/QUOTE]

Glad you found the problem.

I'm hoping to ditch work early tomorrow to head to the lake. It's supposed to be 28 here (finally).

Viktimize
06-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Glad you found the problem.

I'm hoping to ditch work early tomorrow to head to the lake. It's supposed to be 28 here (finally).

Nice. What lake do you hit up down there?? I'm stuck in Fort Mac till Saturday. Going to cruise back down to Edmonton after my sisters wedding on Saturday, and try to get on the lake Sunday if the weather co-operates.

TayMC197
06-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Does anyone know where i can find the pinout for this clarion deck?

There are 4 rca leads out of the headunit. Black, red, grey, and purple. Red are the only ones hooked to anything. And they run dOwn the front of the hull somewhere. Kind of a pita to trace anything under there until i cut the zipties off. But it just started pouring on me.

Do I need to haul the boat back to fix this issue?

Shooter McKevin
06-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Nice. What lake do you hit up down there?? I'm stuck in Fort Mac till Saturday. Going to cruise back down to Edmonton after my sisters wedding on Saturday, and try to get on the lake Sunday if the weather co-operates.

Going to McGreggor Lake this evening. The options around here really suck. I'm on the S.E. side of the City so other than the Slough (Chestermere), McGreggor is my closest option (1hr drive). Can't wait to go houseboating on Shuswap for the long weekend though.

Viktimize
06-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Going to McGreggor Lake this evening. The options around here really suck. I'm on the S.E. side of the City so other than the Slough (Chestermere), McGreggor is my closest option (1hr drive). Can't wait to go houseboating on Shuswap for the long weekend though.

July long or August long?? I have a CC5 booked for July31-Aug4. And spending 3 nights in Salmon Arm before that.

Viktimize
06-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Do I need to haul the boat back to fix this issue?

Damn man, you would think the dealer would've checked out the sound system before sending it off. Oh well, I got it fixed. And I scammed out of work for Saturday, and it turns out the sis has her wedding on Friday now. So I should be on the lake for 2 days this weekend now :D

Shooter McKevin
06-29-2011, 12:49 PM
July long or August long?? I have a CC5 booked for July31-Aug4. And spending 3 nights in Salmon Arm before that.

That sounds sweet. We're there this weekend (July 1-4) on a CC3.