PDA

View Full Version : Slalom Wing

6ballsisall
07-24-2005, 01:32 AM
Who uses the wing and who took it off your new school Slalom Ski? If you've played around with it what differences did you notice without the fin?

Cloaked
07-24-2005, 08:03 AM
I have a wing on my slalom. I like the performance it provides for slowing into a turn. Upon edge change and slightly shifting my weight forward to dampen the ski, the fin does it's thing, especially on a short line when I tend to run late, often... LOL.... :D

It helps me, or at least I think it does... ;)

jimmer2880
07-25-2005, 06:35 AM
I have a wing on my slalom. I like the performance it provides for slowing into a turn. Upon edge change and slightly shifting my weight forward to dampen the ski, the fin does it's thing, especially on a short line when I tend to run late, often... LOL.... :D

It helps me, or at least I think it does... ;)

I'm with Sporty... I think it helps me - so it stays on.

Besides, it give me something to blame my run on... Dang fin is adjusted wrong again!

shepherd
07-25-2005, 08:24 AM
I definitely use my fin. I adjust it nose down almost all the way. For me it really helps to slam on the brakes and whip the ski around in the turn. But, each has his own preference/skiing style...

John B
07-25-2005, 08:56 AM
My wing is off.
I was told that it is not needed till 35 off.
I'm still doing a lot adjustments on my fin.
The problem that I'm having, is that I'm taking to much speed into the ball.
I'm thinking I might put the wing back on.
But with the wing on the ski slows so fast it will cause you to brake at the waist.At lest that what it does to me.
I'm going to leave it off a little wail longer, but it might go back on if I can't get that ski to slow down :D

Ric
07-25-2005, 10:15 AM
My wing is off.
I was told that it is not needed till 35 off.
I'm still doing a lot adjustments on my fin.
The problem that I'm having, is that I'm taking to much speed into the ball.
I'm thinking I might put the wing back on.
But with the wing on the ski slows so fast it will cause you to brake at the waist.At lest that what it does to me.
I'm going to leave it off a little wail longer, but it might go back on if I can't get that ski to slow down :D
NO wing for me.
Ski instructor had me remove the wing explaining the same reasons johnb mentioned.
:twocents: Remove yours if you're skiing alot and you'll notice a huge difference! The tail of the ski feels much looser and you can even kinda push the tail of the ski around the ball a bit compared to when the wing is in place. I like it without the wing so mine stays off til I'm a shortline dude.

skisix@38
07-25-2005, 10:58 AM
There is some comprehensive discussions on www.schnitzskis.com about the wind and what it does. It's a very individual thing that combines style and ski. There really is no rule to when you have to have it and when you shouldn't have it but, if you only going 34mph and skiing at 15 off you probably don't benefit from it at all and using it can impede some fundementals you will need to master to get to shortline- the edge change and learnig to make the ski continue outbound.

I never used a wing on my CR7 and I ran frequently into 38 and beyond. Now, I have a wing on my Carbonworx and run it upside down at 7 degrees with a water temp in the 80's. The reason to use a wing is because it keeps the tail of the ski in the water. You will know it's doing this by feeling like it's slowing the ski down. What it's doing is keeping the tail in the water so that the more of the ski is in the water and that's how a ski turns. The benefit here is that when a skier is running fast speeds(35 and shorter usually) that skier will want the tail to stay firmly planted in the water so that when he/she starts to load the tip of the ski to turn hard the tail won't blow out. By the time a skier gets to 35 off you'll know how to change edge and slow the ski down on your own, you just don't want the tail bowing out.

east tx skier
07-25-2005, 12:03 PM
After a year with the wing flipped upside down, I finally yanked it off on Saturday and picked up a rather elusive offside buoy within a few passes. I don't know that the wing removal accomplished this. There were many variables. I have no plans to put it back on yet though.

Ric
07-25-2005, 12:24 PM
a bit off topic but my girlfriend (newbie skier) was kinda fighting deepwater starts on an old HO with a fixed fin.
I scavenged an adjustable fin (with a wing) from another old HO and she popped up right away.
I am no expert but I think the fin even stabilizes the direction of the ski upon deepwater starts.
since then, she's skiing an HO burner and deepwater starts are much much easier.

André
07-25-2005, 12:32 PM
After a year with the wing flipped upside down, I finally yanked it off on Saturday and picked up a rather elusive offside buoy within a few passes. I don't know that the wing removal accomplished this. There were many variables. I have no plans to put it back on yet though.
And are we doing in the course so far ?
Lost 2 bouys last week end to a PWC with a tube slaloming the course :mad:

east tx skier
07-25-2005, 12:40 PM
a bit off topic but my girlfriend (newbie skier) was kinda fighting deepwater starts on an old HO with a fixed fin.
I scavenged an adjustable fin (with a wing) from another old HO and she popped up right away.
I am no expert but I think the fin even stabilizes the direction of the ski upon deepwater starts.
since then, she's skiing an HO burner and deepwater starts are much much easier.

When I was a kid, we called the wing the "cheater." When we didn't get up deep water, we'd always blame the "cheater."

Andre, I had some die hard skiers this weekend at our family reunion. Combine that with the fact that we figured out we could do a good turn around at both ends of the course without hitting anything, and it meant that we skied that sucker all weekend. We only saw one other boat, which turned out to be our neighbor who was idling to his dock while we were resting. Location, location, location.

As for me, I finally got number 2 (my offside). I missed 3 by inches on Sunday (all at 15 off 30.6 mph). I had a bad OTF after that that capped the weekend for me and I'm currently paying in muscle strain and blisters for my small successes this weekend. Still, I'm feeling 10 feet tall and can't wait to hit it again once I am able to lift my arms.

My cousin now holds the course record of 3 at 22 off (34.2 mph). As my brother in law put it to me, at least you got to hold the course record for a while). Course record was formerly 1 at 15 off 30 mph. :uglyhamme

BriEOD
07-25-2005, 12:50 PM
I leave it off.

skisix@38
07-25-2005, 01:05 PM
I find that no wing works better for the 28-34mph and 15-22 off range of skiers because the ski comes out of the turn faster. If you think about my last post, I said the wing keeps the tail in the water which help to keep more ski in the water. The pregression is then, as the ski comes around the turn it's slowing down and thus is providing less lift to the skier. If there's less lift the ski is sitting deeper and takes more effort to keep pushed out and in front of the skier. This is where handle pops come from. East Tx, it doesn't surprise me at all that you can push out of an elusive bouy- your HO is a notorious tail dragger ski which means it will turn on the trail anyway.

ski_king
07-25-2005, 01:16 PM
I will try my ski without the wing this weekend.
With my old MasterCraft ski, I didn't have a choice, it was welded on in a fixed position.

6ballsisall
07-25-2005, 01:22 PM
So recommendations please. I finally got my kinks worked out to where I can run 15' off consistently @32 & 34 and working on 22' off @ 32 is the wing not recommended for me and my Phantom Truth (left foot forwards) I really struggle with my off side turns but am golden on my onside turns and have the speed thing worked out there. I have the wing on now but a few recommended I pull it. What do you all think?

skisix@38
07-25-2005, 02:10 PM
Take it off and see. I would say to learn how to deal with the speed without the wing. It will come into the turn faster but will come outof the turn faster too- I'd much rather have that situation.