PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter screen?

TOO-TALL
06-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Boat is a 2003 x2 with the MCX.
For the last week I've been fighting a intermited sputtering problem.
Today for the first two riders the boat ran great no problems
Boat idles fine and runs strong pulling a rider every once and and a while is will sputter and cough like its running out of gas but never dies.I return to idle boat is fine.Then start pulling again and in alittle while it will sputter again.At first I thought I had water in the gas so I drained the tank and changed the round fuel filer on the bottom of the fuel module and repalced the fuel pump.
With the tank full the boat is fine.It seems like when I burn off 5-8 gallons the problem comes up.

My question..
When does the filter screen come in to play??
I'm thinking when the tank is full the fuel gets to the fuel pump over the top of the canister once I burn some fuel off the gas goes threw the round filter on the bottom and the filer screen inside the canister.
So if the filter screen is dirty there won't be alot of fuel filling up the canister thus starving the pump.

What do you guys think?

bturner2
06-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Certainly sounds like fuel delivery. Anyway to hook up a pressure gauge to see the fuel pressure when the problem occurs?

It certainly could be a filter but it could also be a fuel pump or a restricted breather line.

TOO-TALL
06-12-2011, 04:30 PM
I just removed my canister.
I took the canister apart so only the bottom half with the round filter and the inside filter screen still attached and submerged the whole assembly in five gallons of gas in a bucket to see it fuel was flowing threw the filters.......No fuel was geting into the canister or it was trickling in.So I took the round filter off and submerged it, fuel flowed fine threw it fine.
Then sumerged the assembly in the gas without the round filter and still almost no fuel would would flow in.Removed the filer screen and submerged the canister and still almost no fuel.
Removed the round disk float and submerged the assembly ands.... VOLA!!!! Fuel flowed So I'm thinking my round float is bad and was cutting off fuel to the canister.

Might just run it with out the float and see what happens.

bturner,
If the problem is still there I'll hook a pressure tester up to the rail.
thanks for the reply.

Chief
06-12-2011, 05:04 PM
I just removed my canister.
I took the canister apart so only the bottom half with the round filter and the inside filter screen still attached and submerged the whole assembly in five gallons of gas in a bucket to see it fuel was flowing threw the filters.......No fuel was geting into the canister or it was trickling in.So I took the round filter off and submerged it, fuel flowed fine threw it fine.
Then sumerged the assembly in the gas without the round filter and still almost no fuel would would flow in.Removed the filer screen and submerged the canister and still almost no fuel.
Removed the round disk float and submerged the assembly ands.... VOLA!!!! Fuel flowed So I'm thinking my round float is bad and was cutting off fuel to the canister.

Might just run it with out the float and see what happens.

bturner,
If the problem is still there I'll hook a pressure tester up to the rail.
thanks for the reply.

I had to replace my fuel pump last year, but I still suspect that when I get to the point where the fuel passes through the filter I am not getting the right amount of flow.

Are you talking about that black hockey puck looking thing?

TOO-TALL
06-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Are you talking about that black hockey puck looking thing?

yes.........

TOO-TALL
06-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Found this on another post.

I wondered about the small disk at the bottom of the module. It is to keep fuel from flowing back into the tank when the pump is off. When the pump is on, the disk rises to allow fuel to pass into the pump. Fuel fills the module via the regulator (excess of 58 psi). When the pump stops, the disk falls and keeps the module full of fuel.

So if I remove the small disk float(hockey puck thing) the gas in the module will always equal the level in the tank.

TOO-TALL
06-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Just wondering any advandage or disadvandage with removing the black(puck) float.

The only disavandage I see is when the gas in the tank gets really,really, low(less then five gallons.