PDA

View Full Version : Steering Problem today - X30

hcoog17
06-12-2011, 01:53 PM
2006 X-30, MCX with 500 hours

Got a question for you guys regarding a steering issue today. On the way back to the marina after making a medium forced right turn, the boat did not turn back to the left right away. I slowed down and killed the engine to check the rudder. When I turn the wheel the rudder turns in both directions.

I idled back to the marina but the boat steers much more to the right than the left. It feels like the is a large area in the middle of the steering range that there is a lot of "play".

I would appreciate your thoughts. Did I break the steering cable or did it just maybe come loose?

Thanks is advance!
Brad

hcoog17
06-13-2011, 07:46 PM
I have been doing some research, thanks to this site on steering cables. It seems most other people's cable break when the cable starts to get stiff. The steering on my X30 is and was real smooth, easily steerable with one finger.

I did see something about shims in the tilt steering wheel. I thought this might be the possible culprit to me weird steering issue since the rudder still turns both directions.

Anyone know anything about this?

oxberger
06-13-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm not familiar with the newer boats. I have an '85 and had a similar problem, but it was after the cable was replaced. What happened to mine was the cable was installed with bias to one side (ex. when installed the wheel wasn't aligned and that through off the ability of the boat to steer correctly). I asked my mechanic about it and he said without looking at the cable or connection he wouldn't know for sure, but it sounds like either the coupling broke or the cable is loose. I doubt this will help you but may give you a direction to look. Good luck.