PDA

View Full Version : am i another fuel pump victim?

ttu
06-12-2011, 09:29 AM
guys need some help. while out yesterday on our back back to the ramp as i opened up the throttle it seemed to bog down as i accelerated so i had to back off. then would just go in idle for a bit and then accelerate again. would run okay but it would happen again. instead of trying again we just took it slow getting back. boat never died at least.

boat is a 07 with rtp 310. 250 hrs and have never allowed the fuel tank to go below 1/3 of a tank.

need some help asap as i have company coming in next weekend from out of town.

ps, i did have a similiar problem when i had my 05 supra ssv with indmar 325 and it turned out to be a plugged inline fuel filter.

JimN
06-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Always check fuel pressure first when it does this.

ttu
06-12-2011, 12:29 PM
jim, thanks for the input. anyone else have advice? thanks

heypops
06-14-2011, 02:17 PM
May want to chk alternator voltage when running good and surging.
I am having same problem in general as you.

Chk out thread "Poor Power & Acceleration" in Gen Discussion section.

hope this helps save some time and frustration.

pops

heypops
06-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Also chk in this same section thread labeld "205 Sputtering" by MB53.

VERY interesting thread and attached word doc in PDF.

BTW. My 1994 Prostar EFI/TBI is running 'bogged down' without intermittantly running well.. AGH!

ntidsl
06-14-2011, 04:49 PM
you really dont need any other advice than what Jim said. everyone is in such a hurry to say Fuel Pump problem. I wonder how many good fuel pumps have been changed when it was just a filter or something. no or low fuel pressure equals bad fuel pump...why look at anything else until you test the fuel pressure?

ttu
06-17-2011, 10:28 AM
well mechanic said the fuel pressure was 56 psi. he changed the fuel filter so i will pick up the boat later today and see what happens. filter had never been changed so i hope that is all it was.

JimN
06-17-2011, 10:50 AM
well mechanic said the fuel pressure was 56 psi. he changed the fuel filter so i will pick up the boat later today and see what happens. filter had never been changed so i hope that is all it was.

56 at what RPM? Testing it on the trailer means nothing. Did he take it out to the water for performance testing? If not, there's no way to tell if it's fixed without you wasting your time. They need to document everything they did, too. Without that, there's no info to go by.

ttu
06-17-2011, 11:58 AM
56 at what RPM? Testing it on the trailer means nothing. Did he take it out to the water for performance testing? If not, there's no way to tell if it's fixed without you wasting your time. They need to document everything they did, too. Without that, there's no info to go by.

jim, he took it to a lake right by his house. he is a certified indmar mechanic so i hope i can trust him. he has done work for me before.

JimN
06-17-2011, 10:00 PM
jim, he took it to a lake right by his house. he is a certified indmar mechanic so i hope i can trust him. he has done work for me before.

Just asking- nothing was ever posted about his qualifications.

ttu
06-18-2011, 12:26 AM
jim, i appreciate your help, trust me! got boat back and it ran great! but the "check engine and alarm" went off. i tried the 3 up to temp and cool down to reset the alarm system and that didn't work. checked all fluids and temp and all is perfect.

take it out again tomorrow and see what happens.

jim, btw the mechanic's code scanner is only up to date to the 05 indmars.

JimN
06-18-2011, 01:01 AM
jim, i appreciate your help, trust me! got boat back and it ran great! but the "check engine and alarm" went off. i tried the 3 up to temp and cool down to reset the alarm system and that didn't work. checked all fluids and temp and all is perfect.

take it out again tomorrow and see what happens.

jim, btw the mechanic's code scanner is only up to date to the 05 indmars.

If he's a trained Indmar tech, he knows that a code scanner doesn't cut it for diagnostics. The one tool you need to connect it to right now is a diagnostic computer- that shows actual data for all of the sensors, voltage at the ECM (which can show you that it may have a bad ground), allows functioning the IAC, clears codes and can take a snapshot of the data in real time. The values need to be seen, not just show codes. The 3 run cycles took how long? With a diagnostic computer, it would take part of a minute.

I have to think that he knows how to get one to borrow.

As much as I can see how it's hard to trust a dealer when it comes to this kind of service (I have a hard time trusting mechanics, too), it's up to the boat owners to hold the dealers to a certain level of responsibility. MC trains the techs but it's the dealer's responsibility to make sure the trained people don't leave if they want to have repeat customers. If your dealer is too far away, call MC and find out what they recommend for you to do.

cbryan70
06-18-2011, 03:37 AM

Do you EVER work? lol

ttu
06-18-2011, 09:27 AM
bryan, yes i do work. haha.

jim, again i appreciate your help. the mechanic did work for the mastercraft that was here in tulsa till they moved to grand lake. i like dealing with the dealer a lot but they are really backed up and i was looking at weeks till it could be looked at. in fact when i got to the mechanics house he had 2 other mc's from grand lake with fuel related issues.

again jim, thank you.

erkoehler
06-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Diacom is what you need, its not cheap software!

ttu
06-19-2011, 12:07 AM
well took the boat out today and filled it with gas by the storage area i keep the boat out. it bogged out again! talked with the head service guy at the local mc dealership and told him what had been done in re: to the fuel filter being replaced. he said to take the fuel cap off and run it and see what happens. ran awesome then bogged down again. we have narrowed it down to something to do with the fuel venting system.

i cleaned the self fuel venting fuel cap so we will se what happens. no "check engine alarm" today.

ttu
06-29-2011, 07:53 PM
help if anyone can. went out today again and did not fill up with gas. boat ran great for about 10 min (97 degrees outside) then bogged down again.

looked at the engine just to see if some sensor or wire missing is causing this problem. starts right back up everytime. found a wire with a rubber boot on it that was not connected to anything. anyone know what it is. thanks or the holiday weekend is going to be a no go.

ttu
06-30-2011, 12:30 AM
anyone with a rtp engine check please. the loose wire is on the starboard side towards the rear of the fuel rail.

sorry to bump my own thread!

Jerseydave
06-30-2011, 03:56 AM
help if anyone can. went out today again and did not fill up with gas. boat ran great for about 10 min (97 degrees outside) then bogged down again.

looked at the engine just to see if some sensor or wire missing is causing this problem. starts right back up everytime. found a wire with a rubber boot on it that was not connected to anything. anyone know what it is. thanks or the holiday weekend is going to be a no go.

That looks like it is connected to a temp sensor. I don't have that engine so I can't look at mine for you, sorry (MCX)
Maybe that wire came unplugged from somewhere?

ttu
06-30-2011, 08:52 AM
That looks like it is connected to a temp sensor. I don't have that engine so I can't look at mine for you, sorry (MCX)
Maybe that wire came unplugged from somewhere?

thanks! temp stayed at 160 all day long. anyone else have a chance to look thank you. otherwise i have to pick it up at the storage at the lake today and do the 100 mile trip to the dealer.

Engine Nut
06-30-2011, 08:10 PM
thanks! temp stayed at 160 all day long. anyone else have a chance to look thank you. otherwise i have to pick it up at the storage at the lake today and do the 100 mile trip to the dealer.

That is a wire for an analog temp sender that is not used on your engine. It should have no effect on your engine or be causing any problems for you.

ttu
06-30-2011, 08:44 PM
thanks engine nut! dropped the boat off at my dealership. i know they will take care of me, just hope to get it back soon to enjoy.

ttu
07-03-2011, 09:00 AM
well turns out to be fuel pump failure. hopefully have it back next weekend.

Brian B
10-05-2011, 12:22 PM
What ever came of this? My boat is doing the exact same thing. Replaced fuel pump to no avail......