PDA

View Full Version : My new Boat! and problem?

AJs97prostar
06-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Hello all! I am new to Master Craft Team Talk and I just used several posts to perform my first season tune up.

Ok so I bought a 97 Master Craft Prostar 190 with 435 hours on it for about $10,000 in awesome condition. The boat is flawless and was always kept in storage. The boat has no signs of abuse and the trailer is in perfect condition as well. Im talking no scratches in the gel coat or anything and one tiny tear in the rear seat armrest. I called the shop the PO had work done at and they said it was an awesome boat in perfect condition.

In 2010 I used the boat about 5 times as I bought it at the end of summer. I stored it indoors over the winter (didnt know about winterizing at that point). I used it once in 2011 due to marriage.

For the 2010 and 2011 seasons I noted there was maybe a cup worth of red tranny fluid in the bottom of the bilge after each use which I would clean out. I also noted after sitting for a while there would be about a 1/4cup in the bildge. I have checked all the main hose fittings leading away from the tranny, the in line hose cooler appears fine no signs of leakage there, and the rear main seal is dry. When het boat is on the trailer and I start the engine the fluid appears if the bilge was dry.

Today when I pumped out the trans fluid I noted there was mabe a tad more than 2 quarts of fluid in the ZF Hurth 450D trans. I recalled reading there was only supposed to be 1.7 quarts in it. I also noted there was never any fluid on the top or sides of the transmission housing. Any one have any clue as to whats leaking or why? All bolts apepar tight and I cant find any relevent posts to my specific model.

nitro5238
06-12-2011, 01:21 AM
Possibly the front main seal in transmission. Only cost about 10 bucks to buy and an afternoon of your time if you are mechanically inclined. Keep us posted once you find out for sure what the problem was. If it turns out to be the problem there are several threads on here of how to accomplish the fix...good luck to you

ProStar Slalom
06-12-2011, 02:33 AM
I would assume front seal as well. "Mechanically inclined" is a relative term...for me a trans seal is a job I push to a shop...for this job I'd spend a couple hundred dollars and save the frustration.

Congrats on the boat; don't see that color scheme very often.

bturner2
06-12-2011, 08:05 AM
The consensus would seem to follow on the seal. I did however have a similar experience after changing my trans fluid. In my case I over filled the trans a bit and had the fluid come out the breather. It did this a couple times at the beginning of the year then stopped. After researching the problem I checked the level while it was hot and removed some of the fluid. Never had the problem again.

When I change my fluid these days I use a siphon pump and measure how much came out then put only that much back in to get me in the ballpark. I then check the level when it's hot and adjust as necessary.

AJs97prostar
06-12-2011, 01:59 PM
So If the transmission was overfilled then ithe fluid would push past the front seal or out the breather not both right?

I've previously checked the breather area with no signs of leakage. I checked the bilge this morning (morning after service) and there was maybe half a teaspoon worth of trans fluid up by the icebox drain. I figure thats the residual of what I was unable to clean out with rags.

So Im looking at a couple hundred dollar fix for front and rear seals... I guess thats not too bad. Do i haev to take the trans out for that price? One shop around here (Visalia, CA) quoted me like $3,000 for a new tranny said they dont just do seals.

oumiller28
06-12-2011, 03:39 PM
AJ congrats on the boat.
I want to let you know that there is a MC certified mechanic in Valencia... that is about a 2 hours from you Im guessing. Here is the contact information.
At The Helm Marine
32170 Castaic Rd, Castaic, CA 91384
(661) 295-9900
When you get the Boat fixed let me know when you take it out. If you go to Kawia or come down to Bakersfield and go to Buean Vista I am always looking for other MC's in the area.

AJs97prostar
07-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Well I took it to Han's Boat Works in Visalia CA, And he charged me about $720 to reseal the front seal on the transmission, clean the screen in the transmission, and replace it all. Seems to be a pretty good price compared to other certified shops in the area. Han's is an excellent mechanic and got the job done before the weekend too. Said the seal had a real bad groove from sitting in one place for too long, rubber was no longer flexible thus causing the mystery leak. I took it out and had no issues. Definitely recommended shop if you live in the Fresno/Visalia area.