PDA

View Full Version : Mystery problem

StrangeLuv
06-11-2011, 06:30 PM
2002 XStar wouldn't start. Starter tested bad, had it rebuilt. Installed starter. Now, anything powered by the key will not work, to include accessories/stereo. All of this worked before R&R of starter. Battery is good, ballast pump, lighting and blower motor all come on. Kill switch dongle is in place.

I find the odds of the ignition switch failing at the exact same time as the starter to be quite slim. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Jeff d
06-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Tripped main breaker near the battery maybe?

StrangeLuv
06-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Nah... all the breakers are in. I'm getting power, just not to anything powered by the key.

JimN
06-11-2011, 07:01 PM
2002 XStar wouldn't start. Starter tested bad, had it rebuilt. Installed starter. Now, anything powered by the key will not work, to include accessories/stereo. All of this worked before R&R of starter. Battery is good, ballast pump, lighting and blower motor all come on. Kill switch dongle is in place.

I find the odds of the ignition switch failing at the exact same time as the starter to be quite slim. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Look for a spare red wire at the starter solenoid that wasn't re-attached on the battery side. That will kill all of the accessories until the key is turned.

StrangeLuv
06-11-2011, 07:22 PM
I have three wires hooked to the solenoid. Two on the main post and a small yellow to one of the little post. I'm suspecting something isn't hooked up right inside the starter. Back to the shop on Monday.

Thanks

JimN
06-11-2011, 09:15 PM
I have three wires hooked to the solenoid. Two on the main post and a small yellow to one of the little post. I'm suspecting something isn't hooked up right inside the starter. Back to the shop on Monday.

Thanks

The starter would have nothing to do with whether your dash has power- the dash is powered by a red wire that connects to the battery side of the solenoid (if it was originally wired that way) or at the battery. I have seen the dash power wire slide down next to the battery when it was disconnected.

You could press on the pin behind the clip on the lanyard, too. I used to see a lot that deformed when the sun beat down on it over a long time. It would then stop pressing deeply enough whenever it felt like it.

Jeff d
06-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Nah... all the breakers are in. I'm getting power, just not to anything powered by the key.

I'm not talking about the little black breakers on the dash I mean the main accessory breaker that's usually mounted to the floor within 16" or so of the battery on the accessory lead (The relatively small gauge wire that goes to the post with the wing nut). It's got a little red tab that pops out of the side when tripped.

StrangeLuv
06-12-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm not talking about the little black breakers on the dash I mean the main accessory breaker that's usually mounted to the floor within 16" or so of the battery on the accessory lead (The relatively small gauge wire that goes to the post with the wing nut). It's got a little red tab that pops out of the side when tripped.

The only thing on the floor with wires running to it next to the battery is labeled the High Amp "Buss." If that is what you're referring, there is no red tab popped out.

So, there is no way the starter is part of this problem? Seems odd this problem popped up when I removed it.

Thanks.

mastercraft210
06-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Is the neutral switch working fine.The switch on the transmission.
Or the starter relay is broken. One off three located above the transmission.