PDA

View Full Version : Tires?

skongolf
06-11-2011, 01:31 PM
I looked at about 20 old threads about tires and really did not find the answer I was looking for. I have a 2001 X30 on the original trailer and I beleive the tires are original. One is half bald and all 4 are cracked on the side walls and tread. The tires are a 215 75 14 Goodyear marathon. I found some offbrand trailer tires, 6ply c rated for a good price and I am curioous if they would work. I know alot of people have said go with a D rated tire, but it is hard to find in a 14' tire. I have a long trip to Tahoe planned this summer and dont want to be stressed about the tires. I have checked discount and ebay and everything in that size seems to be 6ply c rated. Can I go to a different tire size? If so what size?
Thanks for the help.

mtajpa
06-11-2011, 01:39 PM
I am running GREENBALL 6 ply C rated and have had good luck with them I make a trip from LV to Missouri every year and haven't had an issue on mine but they are only 2 years old.

WilliM1940
06-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Alot of people seem to like Kuhmo 857's:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=0R4857&tab=Sizes

skongolf
06-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I saw that, but they dont come in a 215 74 14.

TOO-TALL
06-11-2011, 03:24 PM
I had the goodyear 215 75 14 marathons on my 2003 tandem trailer.I never had a problem(lucky i guess) the goodyears just wore out.

Replaced them with the Kuhmo 857 14" D rated.Its been over a year now and no problems.

oumiller28
06-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Long trip to Tahoe... yes it is. I take my X-Star up there at least once a year. Bring a wetsuit and be ready to trailor the boat by 11, or stay by the shore. Be safe and have a great trip.
As for trailor tires there is a post in the Team Talk help with a poll on tires. I just replaced all mine with a set of Greenballs.... I still hate to say that.
Oh... and if your from southern Cali or the central valley it would be a blast to get a couple MC's together. Screw the bu!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=41154

skongolf
06-11-2011, 04:49 PM
We went up there and rented a boat two years ago, and I know what you mean about the lake getting rough after 11. Its gonna be a long haul from PHX in July, but it will be nice to have the boat there. Love yours btw!

Thrall
06-11-2011, 11:42 PM
The Kumho 857s are theonly D rated 14" trailer tire I know of. They're pretty stout. Have a set on my sled trailer that get's beat up and down forest roads and they've held up good.
Otheriwse you're bound to C rated tires, buy any ones except GY Marathons.

Kyle
06-12-2011, 10:19 PM
3 yrs ago I replaced both of my tires and the spare. Goodyear marathon and last year I had tire tread separation. Had tire replaced and it was the right tire. Yesterday imnow have the left tire separate. What's the deal with the goodyears. Are they pos tires or what. Where can I go to find the poll on tires and wich ones are better than others. I don't want to read 20 pages on tires. I'm lazy.

Jerseydave
06-12-2011, 11:07 PM
I had 3 GY Marathons separate so I'm trying Carlisles. (they were my only choice, we were 4 hours away at the lake). So far so good.

If your trip is really long, take 2 spares!

Kyle
06-12-2011, 11:39 PM
I had 3 GY Marathons separate so I'm trying Carlisles. (they were my only choice, we were 4 hours away at the lake). So far so good.

If your trip is really long, take 2 spares!

I may bring the boat home 15 miles and back to storage another 15 miles a few times a year. Most of the time I tow less than 5 mikes total to get gas and to the ramp. Total miles on these tires is low. The spare has never been on the ground as I replace the tires before they blow. Tomorrow I have a 10 miles to discount tire. I'm going to ask them why I have this problem.

skongolf
06-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Well I found a mom and pop shop that has Greenball Tow Masters for $289 for 4 installed. Not a bad deal at all in my opinion. So like others have stated I will have Greenballs:)

oumiller28
06-15-2011, 05:55 PM
3 yrs ago I replaced both of my tires and the spare. Goodyear marathon and last year I had tire tread separation. Had tire replaced and it was the right tire. Yesterday imnow have the left tire separate. What's the deal with the goodyears. Are they pos tires or what. Where can I go to find the poll on tires and wich ones are better than others. I don't want to read 20 pages on tires. I'm lazy.

Trailer Tires... Which are best? <-- The name of the thread, its in Team talk.

Kyle, here is a thread I started about a month ago... I added a poll to the thread. Hope this helps.

rspiecha
06-15-2011, 06:34 PM
The 205/70-R14 Kumho's 857 are about the same diameter as Marathon 215/70-R14 tires, but are D rated, not C like the Marathons. The only size difference is they are slightly narrower. Check out the specs. I have the Kumho's on my Maristar 210VRS tandem trailer and look and function fine.

Rob