PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Suggestions

oxberger
06-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Need some ideas and some help with my carpet. I have an '85 Stars and Strips I'm going to be bringing back to life a little at a time. I have the carpet, but was wondering about a few things:

Has anyone put snap in carpet in there classic?
If so, did you do it or did you have some one else do it for you?
How expensive was it?
How difficult if you did it yourself?
If I don't go with snap in what are some of the "tricks of the trade" so to speak to make sure that it looks good and goes smoothly?

I've read some of the refurb threads and it seems like a relatively easy thing. I'm just concerned that I'm going to get everything out of the boat put in the new carpet and realize I either cut the carpet wrong or put the holes for the seats in the wrong place.
Just an FYI, I have not pulled the old carpet out yet but it's really worn and more than likely will not come up in one piece.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Cloaked
06-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks for any suggestions! When removing the old carpet, take it out as carefully as possible without just tearing it out at random. The old carpet will serve as a very useful and trouble-saving template for cutting the new carpet. Tug on it easily and it will come out. You may leave a lot of glue on the floor but that is where the work is anyway... sanding out the old glue. I use a power sander and have several packs of sand paper handy.

Work from the back forward and try and save all of the carpet from the deck down and on over to the center section. You'll want to put the new carpet in, in the same manner. The old carpet is really a time saver as a template.

I stopped when I reached the point of being under the front deck, not worrying about the carpet way on up front (I too have an 85 model). It's easier and no real need to go forward beyond a reasonable point of installation convenience.

I have also learned to use car mats in the high traffic areas of the floor. Really saves a lot of work for cleaning the (new) carpet. I have mats in most of the floor area on the passenger side and in front of the pylon.

03geetee
06-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Everything mentioned so far is accurate to my experience. I recently restored my 83 stars and stripes and used these tips. Here are a couple others that will help you...

-After you rip out the carpet buy some marine tex epoxy and use it to fill all the old screw holes.
-Lay the carpet so the grain matches or you will have different shades all over which doesnt look good.
-For your center floor pieces after the carpet is glued on go from the bottom underside of the screw holes since you can see them and pilot all your holes, it will make installation from the top so much easier.
-Heat up your razor blade til its red hot for any intricate cuts and it will help prevent fraying (use gloves)
-When you resinstall your seats you dont have to worry about lining up any holes, since you filled them all with epoxy it wont matter where you screw them in so put things where you want them. I lined up my foot rest and my drivers chair where I wanted them to fit my taller frame. The observer chair is hard to screw up since half of it bolts to the gunnel and the other side uses the front floor piece rail side for screws.
-Dont be afraid of this just take your time.

Hope this helps.

JTR

oxberger
06-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the awesome suggestions. I like the idea of filling the holes with epoxy and then placing the seat where I want it. I'm 6'2" and about 240 and I've always hated the drivers seat position. I never thought of the car mats. I may do that. I'm still curios to find out if anyone has replaced their carpet with snap in carpet. My dad did that in his old Thunderbird and it made it so easy to clean up and store in the winter. That carpet still looked brand new when he sold it after 23 years.

chawk610
06-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Ox... I have been wondering the same thing about snap in. My '83 will be due for new carpet after this season for sure.

oxberger
06-13-2011, 08:00 PM
I think snap in may be the way to go. I think the new boats have and like I said about my dad's. it makes it real easy to keep clean and store. I need to find someone around that does carpet binding and find out how much it is. I don't know anyone that's making them for our boats. I wouldn't think it'd be hard.

Jorski
06-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Any trim shop can add the binding...not a big deal at all.

I am interested in how you are going to finish the floor if you go with snap in carpet. Most boats that come with snap in carpet have a gel-coated floor.

oxberger
06-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll have to call and find out about pricing. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the floor. I know I'm going to sand it down to get all the glue up. If I go the snap in route, after sanding, I may just leave it that way. No one's really going to see it, but that means I'd have to have the carpet in everytime we go. I was also thinking about roll on lining like Rhino or Line X and try and match the gel color as close as I can. Doing that would give me the option of not putting the carpet in sometimes.