PDA

View Full Version : X Star Ballast Setup

Zak
06-10-2011, 05:42 PM
I have a 2009 X Star with factory ballasts. Looking for suggestions on additional bags to get my kids surfing?

Thanks

peettee79
06-10-2011, 08:38 PM
I run this set up in my 09 X2
Full hard tanks all round.
Full front flyhigh
Full port Flyhigh
Stb Flyhigh bag under set where the esky lived, as full as she can go.
250kg bag along back seat ( port cnr )
250kg bag along port seat ( side )
250kg bag under flip up seat ( port )
250Kg bag along floor ( port side )
You wont need the 250kg bag on the floor if you have a few peeps in the boat or if just begining.
No Trim tab or surf tab deployed.
If dead keen_mod swim platform and bypass ballast timers...best surf mods ever.
Good Luck

vision
06-10-2011, 09:10 PM
More the better.

We do the following to get a fair surf wake. Keep in mind that the X-star throws a short surf wake.

- Fill appropriate side built in ballast and KGB ballast. Leave other side empty of course.
- We have a 750lbs fly high sac in the rear locker, 200lb sac under the front seat, and 200 lbs on the main cockpit seat on that side.
- All passengers on the appropriate side.

If you want to determine how much weight you need (i.e. how big a surf wake do you find necessary) before investing in fat sacs, then do step one and invite passengers and see how many people, and therefore weight, does it take to get the size surf wake you need for your kids.

Sacs in the rear lockers and under the front seats will also greatly improve the shape and size of your wakeboarding wake.

Hope this helps.

Zak
06-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the advise

Jerseydave
06-11-2011, 11:33 AM
My surf ballast setup is similar to vision's

KGB full
750 sac in port side rear locker
400 sac on port side seat

everyone sits on port side, try moving 1-2 people to the front for a longer pocket to ride in

11.2 mph - 11.8 mph (I'm still playing with speed for the best wave)

Turn the boat slightly to the left while driving for a better wave

clrussell
04-06-2014, 06:32 PM
So I'm going to bump an old thread, thought might be better than asking the same question that's been asked a million times.

I'm going to pick up my new to me 05 x star 2 weeks from today unless something catastrophic happens. I'm looking for input on port surf wave. Since I'll have one weekend to dial it in before my brothers bachelor party where we will all be at the lake and I don't want to have to mess with it all then.

Fat sacs I have in my possession:
2-750 fly high
2-240 fly high
1-550 fly high

From what I've read I defiantly need a 750 in port locker with port and KGB filled plus extra. My question is where should I place the other couple bags I have without buying more?

I'm thinking the other 750 in the walkway, and the 550 under the port seats. I don't really want to set any bags on the seats if I can get away with it.

Thanks guys. Can't wait to go pick it up http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/07/4yga7a9a.jpg

KnoxX2
04-06-2014, 06:49 PM
That's a great looking boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snork
04-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Nice look'n XStar
just load up the port or starboard side what ever the preference is
it doesn't hurt to put weight up towards the bow to create a longer wave
keep in mind the more weight the higher the speed
if you have 1000lbs on the port side your speed will roughly be 11.5-12mph
BTW try keeping everyone in the boat and not on the sundeck for safety reasons

clrussell
04-06-2014, 07:04 PM
That's a great looking boat!

Thanks!

Nice look'n XStar
just load up the port or starboard side what ever the preference is
it doesn't hurt to put weight up towards the bow to create a longer wave
keep in mind the more weight the higher the speed
if you have 1000lbs on the port side your speed will roughly be 11.5-12mph
BTW try keeping everyone in the boat and not on the sundeck for safety reasons

Yea I plan to keep everyone in the boat and off the sundeck while we are moving. I don't want to deal with that potential problem.

Thanks for the tip on the speed, I've only wake surfed a couple times so I'm no expert and ok taking any tips I can get.

The board I have currently is a liquid force 4-10", biggest guy in the group is probably 220 so I don't think he will be able to go rope less but it should do for me at 185 right?

Does anyone have any pictures of their 2nd gen star listing while at rest with surf weight? Just trying to get an idea of how they sit. Surely the rub rail isn't going to be under like bud mans x1!

Aric'sX15
04-06-2014, 07:25 PM
We take that as a complement! Lol

clrussell
04-06-2014, 07:32 PM
We take that as a complement! Lol

Ha! Y'all are crazy.. I need to get down there sometime and ride with ya

Aric'sX15
04-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Bring the beast! Water is 65 degrees already!

ol1970
04-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Thanks!

Yea I plan to keep everyone in the boat and off the sundeck while we are moving. I don't want to deal with that potential problem.

Thanks for the tip on the speed, I've only wake surfed a couple times so I'm no expert and ok taking any tips I can get.

The board I have currently is a liquid force 4-10", biggest guy in the group is probably 220 so I don't think he will be able to go rope less but it should do for me at 185 right?

Does anyone have any pictures of their 2nd gen star listing while at rest with surf weight? Just trying to get an idea of how they sit. Surely the rub rail isn't going to be under like bud mans x1!

Oh I've got a good one...let me dig it out for you...

jradasaurus
04-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Oh I've got a good one...let me dig it out for you...

Excited for this. I have an 09' x-star and I have no idea whats safe in terms of weighing down one side. The list just feels very awkward to me- but I know people are putting 1000+ lbs on a single side (I've only done stock port, stock kgb, 450lbs port locker)

Also related thread w/ pictures: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48205&page=2

ol1970
04-06-2014, 08:25 PM
here are a couple I could find...essentially I had port locker completely filled with sacks...two 450's on the seats and one bag up front (in addition to factory ballast)

jradasaurus
04-06-2014, 08:32 PM
holy hell! you dont feel like the boat is gonna roll??

KnoxX2
04-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Nope I had my X2 the same way and never had an issue.

clrussell
04-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Thanks for posting those pics! I doubt I'll ever go that extreme. How's the wave??

neil.anderson63
04-06-2014, 08:50 PM
:eek3::eek3: I don't have the words.... BIG sums it up

mlawler34
04-06-2014, 09:13 PM
So I'm going to bump an old thread, thought might be better than asking the same question that's been asked a million times.

I'm going to pick up my new to me 05 x star 2 weeks from today unless something catastrophic happens. I'm looking for input on port surf wave. Since I'll have one weekend to dial it in before my brothers bachelor party where we will all be at the lake and I don't want to have to mess with it all then.

Fat sacs I have in my possession:
2-750 fly high
2-240 fly high
1-550 fly high

From what I've read I defiantly need a 750 in port locker with port and KGB filled plus extra. My question is where should I place the other couple bags I have without buying more?

I'm thinking the other 750 in the walkway, and the 550 under the port seats. I don't really want to set any bags on the seats if I can get away with it.

Thanks guys. Can't wait to go pick it up http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/07/4yga7a9a.jpg

Did you pick this up from Action Water Sports in Fenton?!?

snork
04-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Thanks!

remember front foot accels back foot brakes, get slack in the rope for 30 seconds or so then
let-R-rip

ol1970
04-06-2014, 09:36 PM
holy hell! you dont feel like the boat is gonna roll??

Well people who say you can't get a good surf wake on a star have never surfed with me! Never worried about rolling, but with it this weighted down you definitely need a little more driving skills to avoid disaster.

clrussell
04-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Did you pick this up from Action Water Sports in Fenton?!?

Headed to pick it up in a couple weeks, but yea action has it. Great dealership to deal with thus far.

Aric'sX15
04-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Well people who say you can't get a good surf wake on a star have never surfed with me! Never worried about rolling, but with it this weighted down you definitely need a little more driving skills to avoid disaster.

have any wake pics?

mlawler34
04-06-2014, 10:23 PM
Headed to pick it up in a couple weeks, but yea action has it. Great dealership to deal with thus far.

They are awesome. Got my 2004 Xstar from them. They were trying to get me to sell mine and buy that one! Lol. Love the boat you will too!

Quinten
04-07-2014, 03:51 AM
here are a couple I could find...essentially I had port locker completely filled with sacks...two 450's on the seats and one bag up front (in addition to factory ballast)

Jesus :O
That is a lot of weight.
Is that an X2 or Xstar? And wich engine?

ol1970
04-07-2014, 11:10 AM
It was/is an '07 X Star I just traded in on my new rig and it had the MCX...admittedly for how much I weighted the boat, it took a little time to get up and out of the water especially sacked out for boarding.

I don't really have many wave pics because I was always driving, my buddies all have the pix but here is a couple I could find...sorry these are not the best or at a good angle for perspective. Let me just say the wave is way big enough for my skill set!

CottagerGreg
04-07-2014, 11:29 AM
Here are some pics of our setup.. speed is 11.8-12.2 as we find it lengthens the pocket out.

750 port locker, 750 floor, 250 on seat (port side"ish") and factory front full and port full and starboard half full.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/Cottage%202013/6_zpsbc4994b3-1.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/GTI2lo/media/Cottage%202013/6_zpsbc4994b3-1.jpg.html)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/Cottage%202013/GoProSurf3_zps9fd3e4ee.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/GTI2lo/media/Cottage%202013/GoProSurf3_zps9fd3e4ee.jpg.html)

Goofy is really hard to dial in... very easy to "over weight"

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/Cottage%202013/1146457_10151814008698735_703565447_n_zps8beaa202. jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/GTI2lo/media/Cottage%202013/1146457_10151814008698735_703565447_n_zps8beaa202. jpg.html)

Jayhawk
04-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Cool...autopilot!

clrussell
04-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Thanks greg, your setup is what I'd found before. Have you tried more weight up front over stock or is it about perfect the way you have it?

Sounds like by most set ups I'll be better to not do the 750 in the walkway..

ol1970
04-07-2014, 01:07 PM

Yeah, they are great to work with for sure, who did you buy it from Arron or Troy? BTW you might see my all blk 14 XStar there when you pick it up...you should take a peak while you are there...I think I take delivery the last Friday this month.

mlawler34
04-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Yeah, they are great to work with for sure, who did you buy it from Arron or Troy? BTW you might see my all blk 14 XStar there when you pick it up...you should take a peak while you are there...I think I take delivery the last Friday this month.

Shoot I may just go up there to see that bad boy!

CottagerGreg
04-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Thanks greg, your setup is what I'd found before. Have you tried more weight up front over stock or is it about perfect the way you have it?

Sounds like by most set ups I'll be better to not do the 750 in the walkway..

Tried more up front, but dunking the bow is much easier... so this is a good "balance".

clrussell
04-07-2014, 02:17 PM

I'll definitely take a look at it! I might just hook up to the wrong boat and bring yours home!

Im dealing with Aaron, he has been awesome. I guess he used this x star all last summer so he knows everything about it and what all has been done to it.

Tried more up front, but dunking the bow is much easier... so this is a good "balance".

Thanks! I'll give your set up a shot, I think I have enough bags to accomplish what you've got. Do you empty bags when you have a larger group or just leave it and enjoy the bigger wave?

snork
04-07-2014, 02:45 PM
Greg, that Goofy side is legit not for just the XStar but any boat

Aric'sX15
04-07-2014, 03:06 PM

x2, that is a long wave!!

CottagerGreg
04-07-2014, 04:37 PM

ya thanks... so hard to dial in... temperamental etc...

ol1970
04-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Is that a cat or a dog just chillin there on the fat sack?

jradasaurus
04-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Driving tips with this much weight on one side? I've been driving for 10+ years but never with this much listing. I'm fine with not putting the nose under but honestly i always feel like the boat is gonna roll.

CottagerGreg
04-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Is that a cat or a dog just chillin there on the fat sack?

buddy's fluff ball standard poodle puppy...

CottagerGreg
04-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Driving tips with this much weight on one side? I've been driving for 10+ years but never with this much listing. I'm fine with not putting the nose under but honestly i always feel like the boat is gonna roll.

come to a complete stop off throttle, turn, wait to wake to pass, idle back to the fallen rider. You will notice the boat likes to only turn one direction with the weight to one side.

ol1970
04-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Two basic things when loaded heavy...always turn away from the wave and the slight turn you are in when the rider falls (of course), and I drop the throttle after turning away & go slow to let wave dissipate a bit. I've learned the hard way...the star is a little tougher boat to drive surfing anyway, I've had coolers floating away inside the cabin a couple times lol...

jradasaurus
04-07-2014, 09:39 PM
Thanks both. Can these boats sink? under normal circumstances

Aric'sX15
04-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Still think we win haha

Aric'sX15
04-07-2014, 10:15 PM

The ballast actually will float the boat if things go south. I dipped my neighbors 23 lsv so bad once water came over the windshield due to all the morons around me. Water was shin high in the boat and it drained fine. You would have to seriously try to sink these to even come close

ol1970
04-07-2014, 10:19 PM

Uh, yes...any boat can sink! Lol, but in all seriousness...on inland lakes if you are remotely sane and don't do stupid stuff it's pretty tough to sink or roll. My buddies X1 we put so much ballast in the water level literally touched the vinyl of the sun deck...that's crazy. Other tip when this heavy...have the people all shift inside the boat, it helps.

clrussell
04-08-2014, 08:31 AM
So if I'm reading right turn away from the wave after throttling down? I'm assuming throttle down slowly lol, because an instant shut down would surely put the wave over the transom.

So say I'm running port ballast and throttle down, turn starboard and idle back correct? Just seems like they would make the boat lean even more port? I highly doubt I'll ever list mine like ol1970 is doing!

Greg do you have a picture of your boat at rest with surf ballast filled?

I'm guessing ol1970 isn't running ballast like that and surfing in rough conditions?

Sorry for the 21 questions, you guys have already helped a lot and I don't even own the boat yet

snork
04-08-2014, 08:43 AM
just drive it like it was a wakeboarder with heavy weight
rider falls, throttle down, let boats wake roll by then turn in the direction of fallen rider
it quite elementary

Aric'sX15
04-08-2014, 10:35 AM
So if you're heavy on the port Ballast and the rider falls, here's what I do.

Throttle all the way in neutral, cut hard right. That way you can take the waves with the side of the boat that isnt lowest to the water.

Wait for the rollers to pass, and idle back over. Its pretty easy, can be stressful like when I almost put my neighbors malibu on the bottom of lake granbury. I wouldn't learn in any chop, especially with the water shovel on the front of the x star.

clrussell
04-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Thanks guys, at least I'll have time to play with it before the lake gets crowded.

It's going to be completely different than my old prostar!

ol1970
04-08-2014, 11:37 AM
Do not turn in the direction of the rider in a weighted star unless you want a tsunami rolling over the front bow. I always turn away and yes peal off speed slowly (you are only going 11mph).

You are right though...I'm a glassy water snob and almost never out in rough conditions. I only load the boat that much maybe 5-6 times a year, it is a lot of work to get the wave that big...I'm lazy most days. That is why I'm really looking forward to the new rig...plus rumor has it Gen2 is coming to the '14 stars this summer.

craig3972
04-08-2014, 12:21 PM
I dont like where this is going - we need glass for surfing? I feel the old problems coming back when wakeboarders appeared and started making a mess of the lake for the slalom guys. Now its going to be wakeboarders vs surfers vying to get good water. I generally tried to only surf in spots where the water was rough anyway, in the middle of the day and save the good water for those that really need it. Spining large circles in the middle of a calm lake, throwing a wake in every direction is just - well, bad.

Aric'sX15
04-08-2014, 12:23 PM
I dont like where this is going - we need glass for surfing? I feel the old problems coming back when wakeboarders appeared and started making a mess of the lake for the slalom guys. Now its going to be wakeboarders vs surfers vying to get good water. I generally tried to only surf in spots where the water was rough anyway, in the middle of the day and save the good water for those that really need it. Spining large circles in the middle of a calm lake, throwing a wake in every direction is just - well, bad.

Not sure if thats what he meant. we all like smooth water no matter what the sport.

clrussell
04-08-2014, 01:13 PM
I didn't mean glass for all surfing. Just for when he is weighted like that.. I don't have to compete with people for glass, I'm pretty sure I'm the only boat on the lake that's not a fisherman pre daylight.

However surfing glass will be after I've been on a board so long I can't hold a rope

Aric'sX15
04-08-2014, 01:18 PM
I see where this is going,

ol1970
04-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Noooo...I'm just saying I'm lazy and old & because I can pop out the back door and go surfing I usually get spoiled by nice water. One of the best parts about surfing is you DO NOT need great water.

RIP = horse

DBrown2
04-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Alright the Canada Boys, posting on Instagram under X Star have it dialed in but they want cough up there exact setup... They use a Sumo 900 in Port Locker, Plus the Sumo Straight Line Center 800lb but under port seats, then the bow is weighted ????. Stock Port and KGB/Center is filled and Star, 1/4 filled.

As some have noted... its all in the Driver... My wife cant drive while surfing if there are lots of boats because I have taught her to drive straight out, set down to idle, then turn back for me or otherwise she has to power thru the wake back, but with tons of boats the nose will dip and she will take on water.

I have not done the above Ballast Upgrades... But I am looking to order Bags this week or next for the upcoming season. Just wanted us to get back on track of Bags and Weight and not driving 101. Plus I dont want Bags in Seats or Floor, I have to many riders at times, and I hate stepping over crap.

jradasaurus
04-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Im sorry a 900lb bag in the port locker? Im not familiar with the lastest gen xstar but Im relatively certain a 900lb bag font fit in the previous gen xtar (750 is pushing it).

My boat is being dewinterized next week so I plan to do some heavy wake surf testing in the coming months. Sadly I wont be able to actually ride due to my knee surgery.

DBrown2
04-14-2014, 08:42 AM
Check your measurements, but 2" more from 750 Bag to 900 Bag can be done.. Anyone else working on Ballast upgrades for this season in a X Star

snowslider76
04-14-2014, 04:55 PM
This is the wave with stock and 750 full port
Rear stock starboard full
Nothing in KGB or front bags- but I do have 300lbs of lead in the front of the boat
A 500# bag on the rear seat shoved to the port side and a 500# bag on the port seat shoved as far back as possible.
The wave is big but a little soft at the top.

CottagerGreg
04-15-2014, 09:22 AM
Thats a good looking wave! Much like I get with my setup. I think that works best with the x-star.

what is your speed? I find if I bump up the speed it firms up the wake

DBrown2
04-16-2014, 04:41 PM
That is a good Wake... Anyone got a similiar wake behind the X without all the Ballast sitting in the seats?

clrussell
04-16-2014, 04:54 PM
That is a good Wake... Anyone got a similiar wake behind the X without all the Ballast sitting in the seats?

I'll have some pictures next weekend weather permitting.

DBrown2
04-18-2014, 10:27 AM
Well Hopefully I have pics next Sunday or Monday. I just ordered a Fly High 1100lb Bag for Rear (Yes I know it want fill all the way) to feed at the same time a 370Lb Fly High Tube Sac got the piggy back system to eleminate hopefully a run to Lowe's. I plan to locate the Tube Sac on Port side under seats but locate it under the Observer/Cockpit to front seat area. I am doing this just to see if I can elimate dropping coin on the custom bags from Fly High for the front... which are are pricey in my opinion just for what weight you can get.

snowslider76
04-21-2014, 04:35 PM
11.5-12.5 mph

clrussell
04-27-2014, 10:27 AM
Went out yesterday. 750 in port locker, 540 under port seats as far back as possible (which was to the batteries), port hard tank full. 3 girls sitting on port side, driver in driver seat. Speed was 11.2. I think if it's this light of crew again we could put another 200 in the bow to help with length. Had one of the girls move up there and it really seemed to make a difference. Not the cleanest wave but it worked for me. Water was choppy too. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/27/azanyqym.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/27/yjaqajez.jpg

mzimme
04-27-2014, 11:11 AM
You might actually need a little more speed. That'll clean up some of that wash.

clrussell
04-27-2014, 11:17 AM
You might actually need a little more speed. That'll clean up some of that wash.

I'll try that next time out, thanks!