PDA

View Full Version : 1977 S&S Vibrations Shaft/Seal

seventysevenSnS
06-10-2011, 05:17 PM
I recently purchased a beautiful 1977 Stars and stripes. Everything in the boat except the interior is completely origional.... Motor Shafts, it even looks as if it has the origional prop. Everything is in great shape. At low rpm the shaft/or prop seems to be out of balance , wobble vibration. It seems to be not as bad at highrpm, as well as it seems to be leaking through the seal a small bit. I believe i need a new seal and i plan on plulling the shaft to have it balance/staightened. What do I need to know about this ordeal? Were do i find the correct water seal joint?

thatsmrmastercraft
06-10-2011, 05:26 PM
I recently purchased a beautiful 1977 Stars and stripes. Everything in the boat except the interior is completely origional.... Motor Shafts, it even looks as if it has the origional prop. Everything is in great shape. At low rpm the shaft/or prop seems to be out of balance , wobble vibration. It seems to be not as bad at highrpm, as well as it seems to be leaking through the seal a small bit. I believe i need a new seal and i plan on plulling the shaft to have it balance/staightened. What do I need to know about this ordeal? Were do i find the correct water seal joint?

Welcome and congrats on finding a classic in great shape. I'm kind of partial to that year myself. I don't have the answers to your questions as my boat came with all new running gear, but someone will be along shortly who can steer you in the right direction.

Sure would like to see some pics of your boat. Pictures go a long way around here.

JLeuck64
06-10-2011, 06:45 PM
http://elberts.com/faq.htm

Good reading on this website! May I suggest you start with checking the prop shaft and engine alignment?

wakebdmojave4275
06-27-2011, 04:25 PM
try this link to repack your stuffing box http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box
cutlass bearing could be out of line causing vibration, fairly common if you run up on beaches a lot and let the prop contact the bottom. You can get the flax line for restuffing the box at any West Marine store or call around to your local marine stores in yr area

wakebdmojave4275
06-27-2011, 04:27 PM
you should always have a little bit of water coming through the seal, that's how it works, needs to be wet in there or you'll burn the flax rope