PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Problems Anyone?

davomaddo
06-10-2011, 01:25 PM
2009 X-15 - both mufflers cracked and had to be replaced. I noticed it this spring, the first time I used the boat.
I winterized, but the dealer said it wouldn't be a freeze issue anyway. The water drains out of the muffler in a V-Drive.
Has anyone had this issue?
The dealer was cool, fix it right away, and charged minimum hours.
However, it wasn't covered by the warranty and the replacement mufflers were expensive.

Has anyone else had to deal with this same issue?
It seems like the muffler company should be replacing these at no cost - or the warranty should cover it.

Ole Miss Rebels
06-11-2011, 05:46 PM
i've gone through two sets of mufflers in just two years on my 08 xstar with L18.

dietdewboy
06-12-2011, 07:19 AM
I've patched both of mine a couple times (no, not in the same place) on my 96 PS. Hit the auto supply for a can of fiberglass body filler, 100% water proof, strong as hell, cures in an hour. I've had one muffler patch last over 10 years now! Just sand the area with some course paper, mix the filler and hardener, apply, let it cure for an hour and your back on the water.
this trick has saved me tons of down time and lots of Sunday head aches.

Jerseydave
06-12-2011, 10:27 AM
i've gone through two sets of mufflers in just two years on my 08 xstar with L18.

Wow! What's up with that? Are they cracking from vibration? Poor design?

craig3972
06-13-2011, 11:42 AM
patched a friends 2009 x2 mcx with JB weld last weekend - this one cracked along a seam where an end cap had been glued on , looks like the manufacturer filled the gap with some type of elastic type caulking - too many heat cycles and it failed.

Ole Miss Rebels
06-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Wow! What's up with that? Are they cracking from vibration? Poor design?

no sure what causes it but i suspect excessive pressure. they have all failed at a seam. also, blew a baffle out of one.