PDA

View Full Version : Marks on boat from boat buddy!

erkoehler
07-23-2005, 08:54 PM
:mad: When I pull the boat up on to the trailer, the boat buddy is leaving marks on the hull of the bow! :mad: Is there something I can do to make it stop, and how do I get the marks off?

It is to the point where I am thinking about just taking the boat buddy off and using a bow roller. :rolleyes: Pros/Con????

Here is a picture, not sure if you can see the damage.....

erkoehler
07-23-2005, 08:54 PM
one more angle....

mcprostar197
07-23-2005, 10:17 PM
One of my dad's friends warned us about that when you drive the boat fully onto the trailer. He said to drive it most of the way and then just crank it up the remaining few inches to avois it. I'm pretty sure that he also said the marks are easily removable, but I have not tried since we dont have any marks yet.

Cloaked
07-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Here's a thought; You're dropping the trailer in the water too far, thus causing the boat to ride up the BB to a point of activation. Don't drop the trailer quite as far, allowing the boat to ride higher on the bunks, resulting in direct and initial contact where the clip activates.

Maybe I'm missing your point here or the problem shown in the pics. :confused:

Just two more pennies Erk..... :idunno:

Now, how will a bow roller stop the marks or change the format of how you load the boat? Will it make the bow ride higher, resulting in direct and initial contact where the clip activates? :confused:

I'd think the roller would cause similar marks upon contact... The older trailers don't have the roller so I'm trying to learn here as well.

Hoosier Bob
07-23-2005, 11:29 PM
A while ago a member said he had his carpeted! He cut the carpet to fit and glued it to the rubber. He said in his post that he used the same carpet that came on his rails. No more marks. I still have yet to try this but it is on my list. In the meantime I will continue to polish them off after every trip!

Tennesseeski
07-24-2005, 12:31 AM
Try using a mister clean magic eraser. They work pretty well for those and alot of other hard to get off marks/stains.

SkySkiSpokane
07-24-2005, 12:46 AM
Just wax real good on the nose and those rubber marks come right off. Never had enough problem for me to want to take it off. It is damn nice to have on a crowded ramp. Back down, drive on, drive away. Get all of the details later away from the crowd. It is worth the marks for me.

Chris M
07-24-2005, 12:56 AM
I have the same problem with mine just use a good wax. And it will look good as new

erkoehler
07-24-2005, 01:25 AM
Here's a thought; You're dropping the trailer in the water too far, thus causing the boat to ride up the BB to a point of activation. Don't drop the trailer quite as far, allowing the boat to ride higher on the bunks, resulting in direct and initial contact where the clip activates.

Maybe I'm missing your point here or the problem shown in the pics. :confused:

Just two more pennies Erk..... :idunno:

Now, how will a bow roller stop the marks or change the format of how you load the boat? Will it make the bow ride higher, resulting in direct and initial contact where the clip activates? :confused:

I'd think the roller would cause similar marks upon contact... The older trailers don't have the roller so I'm trying to learn here as well.

I will try pulling the boat trailer out alittle farther next time we are on the ramp, which hopefully will be tomorrow!

The roller would not make the marks because the bow would roll up and down the roller and not drag across it.

6ballsisall
07-24-2005, 01:48 AM
Erk, all this hubbub with your 96 makes me think you outta just give me your ride and get you a new one. :D

east tx skier
07-25-2005, 01:05 AM
Either carpet what you've got or get a bow roller. I have an open bow and have been very happy with the roller because I can just walk up and hook up the boat. With a closed bow, I'd go with the carpet.

Acetone will get the black marks off. But make sure you wash well afterwards and follow with wax.

AirJunky
07-25-2005, 02:03 AM
Wow, if thats "damage" in your book, then you need to put the trailer in a little deeper & take a lot more time getting the boat carefully up on the trailer. The marks usually just wipe off my boat with a sponge.... guess it's the wax that keeps them from building up.

erkoehler
07-25-2005, 02:10 AM
I pulled the trailer up so that the fenders were about 2" above the water today when we took the boat out, and it seemed to by much easier with less impact w/ the boat buddy.

Crash
07-25-2005, 11:27 AM
The problem is with the V carpet under the bow. Loosen the screws and push them together tighter, add more carpet, or add more washers/filler on the back side. I changed my V bunker and now my Boat Buddy rubber doesn't touch my boat. The Bow Eye is long enough to reach the pin without touching the Buddy.

Fingernail polish remover and cotton ball removes the skid marks.

My fenders are underwater when I load. I like to float up with very little power up (better on the coastline).

Ric
07-25-2005, 11:33 AM
I've never needed much more than a dry towel to remove the marks but it's problably (as mentioned earlier) because the hull the gelcoat is waxed.

stevo137
07-25-2005, 11:39 AM
One of my dad's friends warned us about that when you drive the boat fully onto the trailer. He said to drive it most of the way and then just crank it up the remaining few inches to avois it. I'm pretty sure that he also said the marks are easily removable, but I have not tried since we dont have any marks yet.
Agree with MC.
That's the way that I do it and it works fine.
I don't trailer very often so it's no big deal to spend a few more minutes to avoid scratches.
Meguiars deep oxidation remover will easily remove the marks.

BUSSTUFJ
07-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Try putting some liquid soap or slime on the buddy before re-loading the trailer.

erkoehler
07-25-2005, 01:01 PM
I try the soap next time.....

PegLeg
08-02-2005, 04:27 PM
I went to home depot and got some outdoor carpet sploches/samples the same color as the boat buddy and glued them to the boat buddy where it rubs. Also i used zip ties of the same color to fasten the corners. It has worked for 2 months and has even removed the marks that were there before.

rodltg2
08-02-2005, 04:42 PM
erk , i would wrap that thing with duct tape, about a 1/2 inch layer. then rub some teak oil on there real good. then spray lots of wd-40 all over the hull on the point of contact. you'll be good to go for the rest of the summer.

DanC
08-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Two years on this and it works just fine.

bfinley
08-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Where can I get one of those??

peason
08-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Do a search on boat buddy on the forum - this has been discussed a couple of times.

jraben8
08-02-2005, 06:25 PM
I put carpet on mine and some wax just so it would take care of the hard to reach place that is probably only noticable to me when it's coming back to pick me up. I just got a scrap from a hardware store and some spray on fabric adhesive.

BuoyChaser
10-20-2005, 03:01 PM
great ideas to avoid the boat buddy scratching that occurs!!!

captain planet
11-17-2005, 01:02 AM
At the midpoint of the season I use some Acetone and then re-wax the area. Gets rid of the marks. I repeat at the end of the season before I put it away for the season.

stumbledog
11-17-2005, 06:52 AM
I get the same marks and they come right off. However, I seem to also be making hard contact with the keel roller. Getting black marks on the keel and deforming the roller. Any ideas on this one?

bfinley
11-17-2005, 07:59 AM
I put on one of the clear keel rollers

stevo137
11-17-2005, 08:53 AM
I get the same marks and they come right off. However, I seem to also be making hard contact with the keel roller. Getting black marks on the keel and deforming the roller. Any ideas on this one?
Keep an eye on that roller. If it splits, it can damage your keel.

Farmer Ted
11-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Keep an eye on that roller. If it splits, it can damage your keel.

Roger that! I had a black one and it split right down the middle. Luckily I caught it early and it only scratched a little, had I kept on using it the rusty bolt certainly would have gouged the hull. I put one of those clear rollers on, too bad Boat Buddy doesn't make their contraption out of this stuff.

Leroy
11-17-2005, 10:15 AM
I noticed I have several marks there also. I think I'll try the carpet trick. Good one Bob!

stumbledog
11-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Roger that! I had a black one and it split right down the middle. Luckily I caught it early and it only scratched a little, had I kept on using it the rusty bolt certainly would have gouged the hull. I put one of those clear rollers on, too bad Boat Buddy doesn't make their contraption out of this stuff.

I will put that on my list for next year. I just replaced the roller, and it looks like it is going to split in quick order. Thanks.

east tx skier
11-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Well, I'm back on boat buddy. Carpeted. Works great.

Leroy
11-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Where did you get your carpet Doug and what type?

east tx skier
11-18-2005, 11:52 AM
Olefin marine carpet from Lowe's. Had some left over from redoing my trailer bunks. I think it's $4 for 6'x1'.

Rockman
11-18-2005, 03:02 PM
I try the soap next time.....

Just make sure it's that Apple Scented stuff ya know?

Sorry...inside joke.

Leroy
11-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks Doug.

I was just noticing at least half of the boats in the showroom at the local dealer did not have boat buddy, only the roller up front.

BuoyChaser
11-21-2005, 10:30 PM
interesting, wonder how they hold the boat on with just rollers...lot of relying on the safety strap...would be great to see some pics!!!

Leroy
11-22-2005, 01:37 AM
That's all I saw, roller and a strap.

erkoehler
11-22-2005, 02:06 AM
Just make sure it's that Apple Scented stuff ya know?

Sorry...inside joke.

Thats what I am getting Deb for Christmas!!! :uglyhamme

88 PS190
11-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Most boats never see a boat buddy. Our I/O has always had a bow roller, and when i used to work at a marina that's all we used, you use the strap, crank as the boat drives up into the front V roller, then pull the boat out. once you are up you put the bow safety chain on, take the slack out and lock the chain links into the little notch that most trailers have for the purpose, then you go around back and put on your two tie downs to keep the tail of the boat firmly down. and its good to go.

Course the easiest way was to use big red (forklift) to lift the boat out of the water, drive it over to the trailer, set it on, and then tie er down... so much nicer... no bothering w/ 2" above the waterline there.

east tx skier
11-22-2005, 05:00 PM
A strap will hold it on, but I'd prefer more. Transom strap does nicely. I don't leave the boat buddy engaged for towing.

88 PS190
11-23-2005, 08:07 PM
that's what the chain does. chain w/ a hook on it, then the chain is passed back through one of those cutouts... lots of bow supports have them on there.

stevo137
11-23-2005, 08:20 PM
I don't trailer very often but when I do, I don't drive the boat onto the buddy. I get it close and then hook it and crank it the rest of the way and then engage the pin. It cuts down on prop wash and doesn't scratch or leave marks on the boat.
I leave the pin in for the simple fact that the boat is more secure. I don't understand why you wouldn't leave the pin in especially when backing up on the ramp during launch. I trust the buddy pin much more than a winch with a hook anyday. When you leave the pin in, you have the pin, hook, and winch securing your boat.
I'm not sold on the use of straps either. If MC felt that they were necessary, they would include them with their boats...

88 PS190
11-23-2005, 08:48 PM
no one includes them w/ the boat because some people don't use their trailor ever, and it'd cost more to include them. Plus w/ the design of the swimplatforms you'd have to pull them off to use them on an inboard. But accidents happen, boats skip out of their bunks, and damage occurs.
"Boat is secured to the trailer -
Make sure the bow eye safety chain is secure and use a transom tie down or gunwale tie down to hold the boat solidly on the trailer." from shoreland'r's website http://www.shorelandr.com/pages/o_tips.html

Lots of people don't do it, and i'll confess on short distances, such as from our driveway to the launch ramps <3 miles. But if it is going farther then i use them. I've seen boats on the side of a road, not on their trailer. And think of this situation, tire slips off road, or punctures, trailer leans, shoulders on highways are already leaning, how much work is it to push a boat off of a damp bunk? Not much...

And does insurance cover it if you are not following the recommendations for towing?