PDA

View Full Version : MasterCraft's Response to Recent Civil Trial Judgement

TTAdmin
06-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Obviously, we are disappointed in the outcome of the trial. We believe the evidence established that the MasterCraft X-45 did not cause this accident. While MasterCraft has great compassion for the victims due to the serious nature of their injuries, we continue to believe this accident was caused by an impaired, reckless operator. The jury's verdict affirms that. Rest assured, there are no design problems with the X-45. We fully intend to defend this case in appeals and this will have NO impact on the on-going viability of either MasterCraft or Hydra-Sports.

pmkkdx
06-09-2011, 06:15 PM
**applause** ... please post if there is anything that the TT members can do to help in the appeal process!

flipper
06-09-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm going to go wreck my truck and sue Chevy for not telling me that running into a brick wall cause cause injury.

sand2snow22
06-09-2011, 07:00 PM
**applause** ... please post if there is anything that the TT members can do to help in the appeal process!

I will second that! MC might be able to use TT to it's advantage. This is a pretty cool place and I for one would be willing to drive down there for the next trial, hold a sign for support and try to bring justice back to the system.

flipper
06-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Somebody else may have to make the sign for him so everything is spelled right and not in crayon.

DooSPX
06-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Obviously, we are disappointed in the outcome of the trial. We believe the evidence established that the MasterCraft X-45 did not cause this accident. While MasterCraft has great compassion for the victims due to the serious nature of their injuries, we continue to believe this accident was caused by an impaired, reckless operator. The jury's verdict affirms that. Rest assured, there are no design problems with the X-45. We fully intend to defend this case in appeals and this will have NO impact on the on-going viability of either MasterCraft or Hydra-Sports.

We had no questions that there are no design flaws in any of the MC lines. Its obvious, even to the blind, that the operator was an idiot, and the people on board with him were not very bright either. I do not even see how you can seat 12 in the bow???
Thank you for the update, and we stand behind MC 100%!

Cmpdman
06-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Thank you for the information! GO MC !!!

thatsmrmastercraft
06-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Somebody else may have to make the sign for him so everything is spelled right and not in crayon.

Hitting the nail on the head is sometimes so satisfying.

ShawnB
06-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Good for you MC. It's a shame that you're being made the scapegoat for the irresponsibility of one person.

Yellow X9
06-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Its a sad day when everyone become Sue happy, Congrats MC for standing your ground

Chief
06-09-2011, 09:33 PM
12 people in the bow, geeze. Someone falls overboard and you keep it in gear. Stupid is as stupid does.

Have no idea how 12 people can be so stupid either. It would be better for MC to spend 500K fighting this than paying it. It's about the principle now.

GO MC!

JimN
06-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Nice to see a judge didn't bother to stop the plaintiff's attorneys from playing to the emotional members of the jury when the case was supposed to be about facts. Any chance they were all women?

DemolitionMan
06-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Only in California.

ahhudgins
06-09-2011, 10:59 PM
12 people in the bow, geeze. Someone falls overboard and you keep it in gear. Stupid is as stupid does.

Have no idea how 12 people can be so stupid either. It would be better for MC to spend 500K fighting this than paying it. It's about the principle now.

GO MC!

I just read the article myself. He had twelve of the 19 people in the bow????? Why would you pack everyone into the front of the boat like that? I guess now all boat builders will have to attach a seating chart to the hull. He admits that the boat was over the limit for people, was the weight ever mentioned? So, making the front large is a "flaw".

They went after MC because they had the big bucks, not the idiot driver or his insurance company. The lawyers comment makes me sick:

"This is the power of democracy at work in communicating to the manufacturer that they have to take basic steps to do the right thing," Dreyer said.

aaron.
06-10-2011, 09:26 AM
hopes and prayers that mc can bury this a-hole.

atlfootr
06-10-2011, 09:47 AM
Nice to see a judge didn't bother to stop the plaintiff's attorneys from playing to the emotional members of the jury when the case was supposed to be about facts. Any chance they were all women?More important question would be, where any members of the Jury even boat owners let alone a MasterCraft Owner?
Wishin'n I was on the Jury panel ... Stupid SOB!

93Prostar190
06-10-2011, 09:58 AM
So .... I think I should sue the makers of my over-sized chair in my family room, I would argue that their design flaw encouraged me to become lazier and grow bigger till I fit snuggly in the chair .... then I could sue them for becoming obese and suffering medical damages because of it.

Or maybe ..... I just wanted to reply and subscribe to this thread and keep tabs on it. I really feel for victims of accidents in this world, but I also want to make sure I give my kids and friends every chance to enjoy the water when I am driving my MC boat ... or any boat. The burden of safe operation is up to me, even if something is wrong with the vessel, the captain should take the proper action and keep everyone safe.

Heck, on an X-45 ... I don't think that I would join the party in the bow .... with all the room in the back if 11 people are in the front wouldn't that be a bit tight?

Simply ... don't put 12 people in the bow of a boat that size ... observe capacity plates, we all know this ... un-necessary litigation

Makes me sick blaming the manufacturer ..... I wish the accident survivors well and hope their attorney's stop worrying about being on magazine covers.

billr
06-10-2011, 10:08 AM
I think we should sue Al Gore for inventing the internet. Now I don't have enough time on my boat, because i'm stuck on this dam& computer!!

scott023
06-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Nice to see some info from HO. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

UrbantuxTN
06-10-2011, 10:11 AM
So based on this premise, that guy from the powerturn video where he submarines his boat should sue too. I mean it is obviously not his fault that he is a complete and total moron and has no idea how to safely operate a boat. Safety has to be the boat owners #1 responsibility and no sane boat owner would allow 12 people in the bow of their boat while underway. I don't even know if you could fit that many in the bow of an X-80 let alone a 45.

medicmoose
06-10-2011, 03:14 PM
"This is the power of democracy at work in communicating to the manufacturer that they have to take basic steps to do the right thing," Dreyer said.

Did no one here get the memo???? Personal responsibility is no longer the responsibility of the person. Obviously it is the responsibility of someone else....likely someone (or company) with more money.

onejdgreen
06-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Sad, sad, sad day... Once again stupidity wins the day, seems like this is becoming the norm...

Kyle
06-10-2011, 03:47 PM
This thread totally pisses me off. The serious lack of judgment of one person will cause everyone else to suffer from his stupidity. We will either get new laws or rules to follow, prices of a mc will raise again to be able to afford this dumb bastards mistake, watersports may be deemed too dangerous and rules of any watersports will be stricter, or some liberal will just make it too hard to go boating.

I wonder if any jury member on this case has ever been on a boat. Someone needs to go find this stupid idiot and punch him right in the lips. He needs to take pics of the two girls he ran over. A before and after pic of each girl and put them on the wall of his bedroom. Then wake up every day and see probably two fine as frog hair girls who he chopped up and disfigured. Then be a man instead of a coward and own up to his stupidity. What a spineless pos for not owning up for his mistake. Once a little puss always a puss.

Ok off my soap box now.

oxberger
06-10-2011, 03:57 PM
MC, thanks for the info. Glad to hear you're appealing this. We're behind you!

Chris P
06-10-2011, 04:50 PM
I think that every owner of an inboard boat, be it MC, CC, Malibu, or whatever should stand behind MC in their fight against this suit. I will stand behind them as a Malibu owner. It's a matter of principal regardless of the label on your hull.

BWB-745-
06-10-2011, 04:56 PM
^^ I whole heartily agree.

What I hate about all of this is it will likely lead to new more restrictive legislation, which will only be followed by the people with enough common sense to not need it all while the wallys keep on driving like complete asshats with no regard to others.

Jerseydave
06-10-2011, 05:29 PM
I think that every owner of an inboard boat, be it MC, CC, Malibu, or whatever should stand behind MC in their fight against this suit. I will stand behind them as a Malibu owner. It's a matter of principal regardless of the label on your hull.

I agree! Everyone that owns an inboard ski/wakeboard boat within 200 miles of the courthouse that laid down this decision should assemble in front of that courthouse wearing their respective boat company's shirts holding banners that say "boat companies should not be held accountable for boat operators that overload their boats, admit to drinking alcohol, break the law and injure their own passengers"

This whole thing stinks like the OJ trial and I hope MC wins the appeal.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-10-2011, 05:32 PM
I agree! Everyone that owns an inboard ski/wakeboard boat within 200 miles of the courthouse that laid down this decision should assemble in front of that courthouse wearing their respective boat company's shirts holding banners that say "boat companies should not be held accountable for boat operators that overload their boats, admit to drinking alcohol, break the law and injure their own passengers"

This whole thing stinks like the OJ trial and I hope MC wins the appeal.

I'm in favor, but that would be a huge sign to make it legible.

Mrsamman
06-10-2011, 05:46 PM
As a Malibu owner I am sickened by this judgement and hope it gets overturned. The driver is responsible and the people in the boat need to know how capable the operator is before getting on the vessel.
Scott

ahhudgins
06-10-2011, 11:07 PM
I still don't see how a jury could find it's MC fault, or it's a "flaw". The bow of my Maristar 200 will hold 2 adults and maybe a small child. With just the 2 adults I'm aware that my bow sits lower in the water, so I have to pay extra attention when crossing my own wake picking up a skier. I COULD put more people in the bow, but I DON'T. This holds true for every open bow boat, not just an X-45. I'm very sorry that people got injured, but at what point will we hold people 100% for their own decisions and actions?

oxberger
06-11-2011, 11:07 AM
^^ Amen Brother!