PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Replacement

amcman91
06-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Dear all,

I have a 96 Prostar 190, Indmar 275 TBI, that is unable to supply fuel to the engine to turn the motor over. I have looked at replacement parts and stumbled across an archived team talk forum website (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/t-18906.html ) that stated that the pump I am looking for in an Indmar pump, Part # 556014. So here is my question: first has anyone replaced this fuel pump on their boat? If so, did you use this pump or did you find a suitable replacement for this pump. If you used a one for one replacement, did you use anything on the flared fittings or did you use a dry connection? If not, what pump did you use?

I realize this is a long question but I am trying to get the boat in the water and I have spent all week trouble shooting the issue. Lastly, when I used a voltage meter across the pump upon turning the key over, when there should be fuel priming the system, there was none. So I ask should I have voltage at the pin connections at all times or only when you initially start the boat?

Any reply would be great.

Thanks

supturb89
06-09-2011, 08:43 AM
According to this (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=30935) thread the pump is a Carter P60962 (http://www.google.com/search?q=carter+p60962&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=carter+p60962&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=99d1c19f91e36442&biw=1152&bih=710).

89BigBlock
06-09-2011, 11:42 AM
I replaced my electric with one from Napa. Carter and $35 cheaper than dealer.

amcman91
06-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Is the fuel pump for the 275 TBI the same as the LT1? I understand that both are made by GM, but does the different fuel intake systems mean different fuel pumps.

BigBlock, does do you know the Napa part number when you cross referenced it?

wtrskr
06-09-2011, 11:51 PM
I beleive the TBI and LT1 are the same but don't hold me to it.

MicSabb
08-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Hello,

My fuel pump keeps breaking, it's a real problem.
First time it was because i ran out of fuel.
But second time, there was just no reason.

The fuel pump reference is Carter 71-341s.
Can you please hep me answer the following:
-Is there any way to fix the problem once for all, instead of buying these again and again?1
-Is there any other pump, less fragile?
-The carotor/gerotor is engraved with 323 6G19A but I can't find any of these references.
The one which looks the closest is the P74117, how can i know if it fits?

Urgent help needed,

Many thanks for your replys

MS

formosa
08-06-2011, 06:23 PM
I looked at the picture of the INDMAR 556014 and it's exactly the same as the Carter P60962. I just replaced my LT-1 fuel pump with the Carter from NAPA - perfect match. I had some problems getting the pump to prime but think it was my fuel/tank anti-siphon set-up not the fuel pump itself.
To your questions, I used thread sealer on the fittings (made for gas): Permatex tack N seal. Secondly, on the LT-1, when you turn the key on, the pump should run for 2 seconds to prime. If you aren't getting any voltage at the pump connection when you turn the key on then check your fuel pump relay as well as the fuel pump fuse.