PDA

View Full Version : Valve Stems

jstewart319
06-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Anyone else ever had trouble with valve stems on their trailer?

I bought the boat, 2010 X25, and trailer new last June, and last weekend had a tire go flat because the valve stem was cracked and all the air leaked out (at the dock and thankfully not on the road), I thought no big deal, I put the spare on got home and then checked all the tires and everyone of the valve stems was cracked and looked like they could leak at any time. The best one was the spare but even that one had cracks and it never been on the road until then. Anyone else have this problem? And if you have not checked your tires recommend doing so, lets hope this is the only issue I have all season.

dtc
06-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Hasn't happened to my trailer yet, however last year I had it happen on my Tahoe! I replaced all the valve stems with "heavy duty" metal stems. I don't remember how much it cost, however I think it was something like $5 per tire.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Metal stems are cheap insurance against flat tires. Rubber valve stems are cheap and it amazes me how well they work and how long they last.

JPK
06-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Had the same problem with my trailer, but it was an 04 Mastercraft trailer that I bought new last year. Its was sitting in Alabama for 6 years.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Valve stems like tires are made of rubber with sun and moisture exposure will cause them to dry rot and crack and eventually fail...

Thrall
06-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Didn't MC switch wheel design in 07 or 08? Check the mfr date on the tires. You may have a 2010 trailer with tire/wheel combo that was put together 3 or 4 years ago.
Note, the valve stems are probably the same age as the tires, and if they dry rotted, check the tires carefully. Lots of horror stories about Goodyear Marathon tires coming apart and causing expensive fender damage. Even if the tires look good, if they are 4 years old, they're nearing the end of their life expectancy and from my experience (3 tires in 2 weeks came apart. all were 4-5 years old) start going to crap at that time, regardless of how many miles on them.