PDA

View Full Version : Took matters in to my own hands

kdr
06-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Right across the lake from me (not far, small lake) is a guy that is a weekender. I know when he gets to the lake on Friday night because their radio is turned on as soon as they get out of their car. They put it on the local country station, which I like, but they play it until they leave on Sunday. Normally, it doesn't bother me. I get it; you're at the lake and you want to enjoy yourself and have a good time - no problem. However, last weekend, I had had enough. I was cleaning the house at about 6PM on Friday in preparation for some guests and I had my radio on in the house and I kept hearing this "other" noise. I turned my stereo off and realized I was hearing their radio from across the lake over my stereo in my house with the doors closed.

My switch had been flipped. I thought through my options and decided to call a friend who used to DJ. 20 minutes later, I had two PA speakers and an amplifier in hand. I put the speakers in the yard, pointed them right at the offending source of the music. I cranked up the volume, put in a Christmas CD, and programmed it to loop Jingle Bells. I was prepared to play the music for a few hours, but to my surprise it only took 45 minutes for the point to sink in and for them to turn their music down to a reasonable level. When I walked outside to turn off Jingle Bells, I got a nice "Merry F-ing Christmas" greeting from across the lake. I kept the speakers pointed at them all weekend, but I never had to use them again.

While the weekends are now much more peaceful, I am looking forward to selecting the next song for them to enjoy should they forget that not everyone wants to listen to the radio all weekend.

DemolitionMan
06-08-2011, 04:12 PM
That is classic.:cool:

ShamrockIV
06-08-2011, 04:57 PM
nice!!!

maybe some abba or "if u like pina coladas" next

Iskidaily
06-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Loving this... which lake are you on?

Hammer
06-08-2011, 05:07 PM
I think a little lonely island, if you can stand it and there are no kids around, would work. I doubt they would forget it.
That is FN awsome though!

pmkkdx
06-08-2011, 05:08 PM
too funny! maybe you should install one of the artifical Christmas trees out on your dock or close to the waters edge, decorated with lights.

jdl xstar
06-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Play the song from Rem and stempy... "Happy, Happy, joy-joy, Happy, Happy joy-joy..." That song was played around the clock in a locked closet for 5 days during hell week in college. Still bothered by it to this day!

thatsmrmastercraft
06-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Really want to drive them nuts.................try It's a Small World After All.

bbymgr
06-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Classic sh!t.

kdr
06-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Play the song from Rem and stempy... "Happy, Happy, joy-joy, Happy, Happy joy-joy..." That song was played around the clock in a locked closet for 5 days during hell week in college. Still bothered by it to this day!

That's awesome.

My DJ friend offered his Ren & Stimpy CD for the occasion, but I wasn't trying to drive myself insane.

As for the lake, It's Lake Royale, about 40 minutes east of Raleigh, NC (Near Bunn). It's definitely a unique setup. Like I said it's small, maybe 2 miles long and not very wide. The north end of the lake is designated a "camping" section. Very cheap lots that you can't build houses on. The guy that ticked me off is in the camping section and based on what I've seen of him, white trash is a fitting description.

aaron.
06-08-2011, 06:01 PM
when the north-going zax meets the south-going zax

JLowder
06-08-2011, 06:05 PM
While not exactly a Foreigner fan, "Dirty White Boy," would be a good one. Always go with a classic Hank Williams Jr. "Country Boy Can Survive." Jingle Bells is surely a classic though. Nice work!

east tx skier
06-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Good for you. Frankly, I think their response was pretty funny, too. :)

ahhudgins
06-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Right across the lake from me (not far, small lake) is a guy that is a weekender. I know when he gets to the lake on Friday night because their radio is turned on as soon as they get out of their car. They put it on the local country station, which I like, but they play it until they leave on Sunday. Normally, it doesn't bother me. I get it; you're at the lake and you want to enjoy yourself and have a good time - no problem. However, last weekend, I had had enough. I was cleaning the house at about 6PM on Friday in preparation for some guests and I had my radio on in the house and I kept hearing this "other" noise. I turned my stereo off and realized I was hearing their radio from across the lake over my stereo in my house with the doors closed.

My switch had been flipped. I thought through my options and decided to call a friend who used to DJ. 20 minutes later, I had two PA speakers and an amplifier in hand. I put the speakers in the yard, pointed them right at the offending source of the music. I cranked up the volume, put in a Christmas CD, and programmed it to loop Jingle Bells. I was prepared to play the music for a few hours, but to my surprise it only took 45 minutes for the point to sink in and for them to turn their music down to a reasonable level. When I walked outside to turn off Jingle Bells, I got a nice "Merry F-ing Christmas" greeting from across the lake. I kept the speakers pointed at them all weekend, but I never had to use them again.

While the weekends are now much more peaceful, I am looking forward to selecting the next song for them to enjoy should they forget that not everyone wants to listen to the radio all weekend.

I think it's funny how the people who are being @holes get ticked off when someone points it out to them.

JMann
06-08-2011, 07:17 PM
This thread would be better with a picture!!!!!!!!!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Kenny G should do the trick

MyCabinFever
06-08-2011, 07:27 PM
That's awesome.

My DJ friend offered his Ren & Stimpy CD for the occasion, but I wasn't trying to drive myself insane.

As for the lake, It's Lake Royale, about 40 minutes east of Raleigh, NC (Near Bunn). It's definitely a unique setup. Like I said it's small, maybe 2 miles long and not very wide. The north end of the lake is designated a "camping" section. Very cheap lots that you can't build houses on. The guy that ticked me off is in the camping section and based on what I've seen of him, white trash is a fitting description.
Just be careful and remember if they are true white trash, they will stop at nothing to make your life a living heck! I would keep a close eye on the boat at all times until this issue blows over. I've heard of guys borrowing scuba gear and loosening stern plugs just enough. Might be too late for a friendly discussion?

JimN
06-08-2011, 09:22 PM
If he wasn't white trash, I'd recommend 'Achey-Breaky Heart'.

SkiDog
06-08-2011, 10:04 PM
too funny! maybe you should install one of the artifical Christmas trees out on your dock or close to the waters edge, decorated with lights.

Good Idea. Then turn on the lights every time the neighbor bothered you. If he doesn't turn down his music, then comes Jingle Bells again. He'll FINALLY get the message.

trickskier
06-08-2011, 11:14 PM
LMAO!!! Great idea!!! May I suggest Hair of the Dog by Nazareth for your next song???

BROUSSARD
06-08-2011, 11:25 PM

Barbra Streisand by Duck Sauce

shepherd
06-09-2011, 12:10 PM
While not exactly a Foreigner fan, "Dirty White Boy," would be a good one.

Ooooh..... you play that song full blast all day, or "Ur-ur-ur-urgent" or pretty much any Foreigner song, and I'd be packing up camp. :cool:

chawk610
06-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Panama!!!!!.... Panama-a, Panama... Panama-a-oh-oh-oh-oh

Cary K.
06-09-2011, 12:18 PM
That is awesome Kirk!

scott023
06-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Wicked solution, I like it a lot. :rotf:

Ron Grover
06-09-2011, 01:42 PM
May I suggest: North To Alaska, by Johnny Horton

oxberger
06-09-2011, 02:44 PM
May I suggest the Muzak version of Enter Sandman by Metallica.

CantRepeat
06-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Puppy Love - Donny Osmond.

mig
06-09-2011, 03:03 PM
"Who's your Daddy"?

oxberger
06-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Don't Go Breakin' My Heart by Kiki Dee and Elton John or Muskrat Love by Captain and Tenille and I'm sure if they are true white trash... any techno song with 120 beats per minute will work.

chawk610
06-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Tom Jones... "What's up Pussy-cat"

Too many options

chawk610
06-09-2011, 03:13 PM
LOL Ox Dub-step

kdr
06-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Some very good suggestions. I especially like It's a Small World and the Muzak version of Enter Sandman. I couldn't do the Dub-step thing because I'd keep it on way too long then I'd be that guy. Dub-step is a great way to test out the low end of the stereo for sure.

The key to doing this right is to pick a song that is non-offensive and relatively short. I'm sure that I really annoyed quite a few people besides the intended mark. I can live with annoyed, but I'm not out to downright piss people off. I have a feeling most of them knew what I was up to anyway.

CantRepeat
06-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Tom Jones... "What's up Pussy-cat"

Too many options

I don't know about this one. I might just mix up a few drinks and start dancing to Mr Jones.

stuartmcnair
06-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Rick-Roll 'em...

JimN
06-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Play some Pat Boone. Another good one is 'You Light Up My Life', by Debbie Boone. Either is more lame than anyone in their right mind can stand.

bbymgr
06-09-2011, 05:44 PM
I don't know about this one. I might just mix up a few drinks and start dancing to Mr Jones.

Showin your age.

DooSPX
06-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Awesome solution!

chawk610
06-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Rick-Roll 'em...

YES!!!!!! Why didn't I think of that!!!!!

Kyle
06-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Jerry Reed would probably work. Then again he may enjoy that. Some good ole Amos Moses http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7GyLr7Cz2g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hrkdrivr
06-10-2011, 08:20 AM
...I am looking forward to selecting the next song for them to enjoy should they forget that not everyone wants to listen to the radio all weekend.

Boots, boots, boots, marching up and down again...

atlfootr
06-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Funny story, perfect timing ...

Less than a week ago I installed a 2x40 Watt Stereo power Amp down on my dock!
Amazing how sound travels over h2o, don't piss off your neighbor's.

kdr
06-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Amazing how sound travels over h2o, don't piss off your neighbor's.

Exactly. It's one of the reasons I don't have for tower speakers. If the water is calm, I can hear my buddy's music through his tower speakers when he is almost all the way to the other end of the lake and they are not even HLCD's. Funny thing is that you can't hear them over the wind and engine noise while you are riding.

snork
06-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Play some Pat Boone. Another good one is 'You Light Up My Life', by Debbie Boone. Either is more lame than anyone in their right mind can stand.

Try Pat Boone and Alice Cooper - No More Mr Nice Guy

TonyB
06-10-2011, 12:14 PM
You puts the lime in the coconut ...

JimN
06-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Jerry Reed would probably work. Then again he may enjoy that. Some good ole Amos Moses http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7GyLr7Cz2g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Or this-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29nurtH5r2U

JimN
06-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Try Pat Boone and Alice Cooper - No More Mr Nice Guy

I think Pat Boone did a CD of metal cover tunes. That would get me to sell my property and run away.

nitro5238
06-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Reminds me of the Sopranos episode where they parked Tony's boat "Stugats" and played old Dean Martin music pointed at the lawyers house....loved that ending...hope you guys remember that one.