PDA

View Full Version : Old Wood Skis

ctjahn
06-08-2011, 09:37 AM
I was thinking about refurbishing some old wood skis (cypress gardens?)...to go with the old 78 MC S&S (we have a few pair from decades ago.) I know I can get new bindings all over the place but I am interested in getting some "period correct" looking boots (current are dry rotted) Just kicking an idea around (not that I dont have enough other stuff going on)

BTW: Just bought a NEW pair of Connley for my wife/friends/family/etc to use; so we probably wont use them....but I thought about it.

Cj

ski_king
06-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Pick up a Maherajah wooden slalom from that era on Ebay. Perfect match for that era of boat.

The LaPoints were sponsored by both MasterCraft and Maherajah at that time.

TonyB
06-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Pick up a Maherajah wooden slalom from that era on Ebay. Perfect match for that era of boat.

The LaPoints were sponsored by both MasterCraft and Maherajah at that time.

I used to compete on a bright yellow 64" Maheraja "LaPoint". That was about 30 lbs ago. Don't think I could get up on that ski today as the fore body was very narrow and I'm now somewhat wide.

M-Funf
06-08-2011, 11:32 AM
I've got a couple of Maha's...:cool:

Been a big MAHA fan most of my early skiing life. Ski'd this wooden Maha first, then purchased the "Stiff Ski" when I was in HS and ski'd it on the college team. Switched to the HO in the early '90's if I remember correctly, and just last year switched to a Radar.

Is the hardware of the boots in good condition? You can probably just buy the replacement neo and use the same hardware. Maha still sells replacement neoprene for their old ski's.

http://www.maherajah.com/goodies.html

ctjahn
06-17-2011, 12:25 PM
I think I have a pair of orange and yellow Cyprus Gardens skis that we already own and I am considering restoring...

Dino Don
07-08-2011, 12:51 PM
I think I have a pair of orange and yellow Cyprus Gardens skis that we already own and I am considering restoring...

Who can redo these old wooden skis? You use to be able to send them back and get them redone but since that isn't possible anymore--is there any place that could do it? I have an old Dick Pope and Alfredo M skis. that are separated.

ctjahn
07-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Who can redo these old wooden skis? You use to be able to send them back and get them redone but since that isn't possible anymore--is there any place that could do it? I have an old Dick Pope and Alfredo M skis. that are separated.

I was thinking of just trying to buy some new boots and put the new boots in....the old boot hardware; and then replacing screws. But I havent had time to check it out.

Cj

Jim@BAWS
07-08-2011, 03:55 PM

a) Spread the CRACK open,
b) insert Elmers wood glue
c) Clamp together
d) Light sanding with
e) revarnish with urethane

Remove old hardware and cover the emblems with masking tape before varnish

Jim@BAWS

east tx skier
07-08-2011, 04:19 PM
I was thinking about refurbishing some old wood skis (cypress gardens?)...to go with the old 78 MC S&S (we have a few pair from decades ago.) I know I can get new bindings all over the place but I am interested in getting some "period correct" looking boots (current are dry rotted) Just kicking an idea around (not that I dont have enough other stuff going on)

BTW: Just bought a NEW pair of Connley for my wife/friends/family/etc to use; so we probably wont use them....but I thought about it.

Cj

Are you talking about the white rubber "Vellum" (sp) bindings. That stuff can be tough to come by, but I recall reading something about sourcing something similar several years ago.

Here are some CG bindings on ebay. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-Vintage-Dick-Pope-Cypress-ETC-Waterski-Bindings-/400226145817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2f565619)

thatsmrmastercraft
07-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Are you talking about the white rubber "Vellum" (sp) bindings. That stuff can be tough to come by, but I recall reading something about sourcing something similar several years ago.

Here are some CG bindings on ebay. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-Vintage-Dick-Pope-Cypress-ETC-Waterski-Bindings-/400226145817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2f565619)

Nice find.

ctjahn
07-08-2011, 05:29 PM

WOW! How cool is that! One set of skis are white with white bindings (which may be in better condition). The cyprus are wood stained with black bindings...