PDA

View Full Version : Trim tab on 2002 xstar?

bjw444
06-07-2011, 11:49 PM
Hello I have been getting used to the wake on my 2002 xstar. I'm running 750's I'n each locker and the KGB in ski locker, also sometimes running an additional 500 I'n bow.

I was reading on here about installing a Bennett x-14 wake tab and really like the benift of being able to control porposing((sp) without adding more weight or making everyone ride I'n the bow when I wakeboard.

My friend has a supra launch and I love how the boat can be adjusted with the plate.

I'm looking for opinions and previous experiences. Thanks

JRW160
06-08-2011, 09:14 AM
More weight in the front or less weight in the back is going to be a much easier solution.

Smoothie
06-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Same boat and the more weight I put in the front the better the wake. I run 450s in the back KGB and 400lbs of lead in the nose. When I have people up front it gets better. Money better spent putting more weight up front.

bjw444
06-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Won't a wake tab allow me to push the front end of the boat into the water? Thus simulating additional forward ballast, I'm not worried about the time adding a trim plate as it is not very difficult.

I agree weight in front is great Just hoping I can kill a few birds with one stone with the wake tab.

willyt
06-08-2011, 10:59 AM
as much as it will bring the bow down and create a better holeshot, it will not make the wake larger, and if fully deployed will almost eliminate the large wake your trying to make with the ballast.

I agree that porpoising is an issue on this boat, but put enough weight up in the bow and it wont be an issue. I have the same hull (05 X2) and have 200 lbs of lead in the very front of the boat, plus the walkway sac, plus the KGB. Thinking about removing the lead and adding a plumbed integrated bow sac under the seats (should get be about 200 more lbs. be creative, this boat definitely doesnt need a trim tab

Smoothie
06-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Willy I thought about integrated but everyone I spoke with said the most weight would be right at 300 because our bow is so small it cant fill up. I went with lead 200 in the nose and another 200 right in front of the driver and passenger. Problem is if your not loaded you gotta be a bit careful of taking water over the front with any sort of rollers been there done that in winter wife was not happy.

nmcjr
06-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Anything dragging through the water is going to alter the wake, above and beyond pushing the bow down. I feel that any of these devices, tabs, wedges, gates etc. all soften and destroy the wake. This is probably good for skiing, but not for wakeboarding. A friend has a new 210 with the wake gate, which is a very small device, and it just kills the wake. I think there's no substitute for ballast. I run the 1000# bow triangle and really like my wake.