PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Troubles

darule336
07-23-2005, 02:26 PM
I have a 1982 Mastercraft 19 Skier with a Ford 351 and a velvet drive Transmission. Recently it seems to have started to slip and i would check the oil and it would be a little low so i would add some more. But a couple of days ago it just would not over idle speed and as i would add more throttle it just would not go any Faster. but it would Be just fine in reverse and if i give it more in reverse it would go faster and have all the power it used to have. I think i stripped a Forward gear or clutch Pack. But i dont really know that much about transmissions. Would like to get this fixed as soon as i can. Just looking for a little light on my situation. I have read a little about this but i dont really know. And it does have a fair amount of time on it since it is 23 years old and if the dash is orginal 970 Hours. I am thinking it is just time to have it rebuilt and am woundering what would be the best way or cheapest way to have it done. Do i take it out my self and ship it somewhere or can i do it my self or bring it to a local transmission place. Thanks Any advice would be helpful
Dan

ramjet
07-23-2005, 02:55 PM
Talk to the boys at www.skidim.com. They have parts and a service manual for the 1 to 1 and powerslot trans. They also can give you advice on rebuilding your trans, they helped me with mine.....Good Luck

6ballsisall
07-23-2005, 02:58 PM
If it's eating fluid I would say you may have busted a seal or something. Do you get any noises or anything when in gear?
I'd highly recommend Fantastic Finish Marine, I got a great deal on one for my boat and he can give you some things to check out via phone to tell if it's bad or not. Make sure you replace the damper plate when you do it. It's not a hard install by any means and is about a 4 hour job for most.

www.fantasticfinishmarine.com

6ballsisall
07-23-2005, 03:15 PM
Almost forgot!! Welcome to the site!! There's a wealth of info on here!

darule336
07-23-2005, 03:19 PM
thank you for your help i did call the people at fantastic and looked at the things at discount. i just didn't know if my transmission was a 1.51 -1 or a 1to1

6ballsisall
07-23-2005, 03:21 PM
thank you for your help i did call the people at fantastic and looked at the things at discount. i just didn't know if my transmission was a 1.51 -1 or a 1to1

Easy to tell:

1. check the tag on the transmission, it will say either 1:1 or 1.5:1 on it. If the tag is hard to read like mine was try #2

2. Look at the shaft and prop. If it has a 13" prop it's a 1:1, if it's a 14" prop it's a 1.5:1

Cloaked
07-24-2005, 08:15 AM
Shaft being 1" dia for the 1:1, 1-1/4" dia for the 1:1.52.

darule336
07-28-2005, 02:36 PM
How hard is it to remove the transmission and to install it.
Do i need to remove the engine to remove the transmission.
and thanks for your help

martini
07-28-2005, 03:07 PM
I have also purchased a transmission from Fantastic Finish Marine and it has been dead reliable since installing it. No, you don't need to remove the engine, but you will be required to hold it or brace it up when removing your old tranny. I used an engine hoist(cherry picker) to hold my assembly up while I removed the transmission. You won't even have to remove the front engine mounts, just loosen the locking pin on either side of the front mounts so that you can pivot it up slightly. Very easy job.