PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Rash

Gjones
06-07-2011, 02:15 PM
So this past weekend it happened... Loading on a fairly congested ramp and got a bit of trailer rash from the keel roller mount tabs. I have a gash about 2 inches long and about an 1/8 inch deep right on the radius of the keel (this is before I grind it out to provide a better place for the gel to bond). It is into the first layer of glass but has not destroyed much of it. I plan to tackle the repair myself with spectrums gel coat paste but I was curious as to whether I should try and fill with chopped glass first to minimize the gel thickness or just go for it with the paste. Does anybody have any experience with this product and/or advice on the maximum thickness/depth that is advisable to fill? I dont want to try and fill too much with the paste and have it chunk out down the road because it was too thick.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Ill try and post some pics this evening if i can get that to work.

bturner2
06-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Based on what I've read you do not want to "v" out the scratch. Apparently you have better bonding without it. I've fixed several to medium sized scratches with the paste. I've also used Marine Tex for larger jobs then filled with the paste.

Gjones
06-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the response. I had heard that the Marine Tex wasn't compatible with the gel. The gash is what i would call large. About 2 inches long and about 1/4 inch wide. I may just go for it with the paste and so how it does. If I have issues down the road I can always address it then. Thanks again.

wheelerd
06-07-2011, 10:42 PM
I used the Spectrum paste on several sizeable keel gashes (and one on the bow) when I bought my previous boat and they turned out great Just clean the area well and take your time with rough shaping, sanding, and polishing. It will look like a pro did it.

east tx skier
06-07-2011, 10:53 PM
I had a little run in with the trailer with my old boat. Had a gash similar to what you describe. Had a nearby gelcoat guy take care of it for a "like it never happened" result for only $100.

falconjeter
06-07-2011, 11:50 PM
I bought my boat used after the original owner towed it 800 miles missing the starboard bunk board, there were two deep gouges in the bottom where the steel bunk mounts were rubbing on the boat bottom, I cleaned with acetone, removed any loose chips and filled it with marine tex, that was three years ago, you can hardly see it, it is totally intact still and very solid. BTW I applied it to the gashes and covered it with a thin plastic film and taped it on good, the used a block to press it up tight, it is nearly perfect - works good, lasts a long time - easy to use. gashes were 4 inches long, 1/4 deep (maybe a little less).

Gjones
06-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks guys. I should have the paste later this week. Looks like I have a weekend project! Should be at the lake but oh well at least I will learn something in the process. It is always good to learn how to do something yourself and save some money....Ill let you guys know how it turns out.