PDA

View Full Version : mini tower vs full size tower

tjuggy
06-07-2011, 01:59 PM
I just bought a 96 prostar 205 and I am wanting to put a tower on it. I am not the best wakeboarder in the world but I do like to ride sometimes. I have decided to go on and spend the money on the new demension tower and I talked to chad at new demensions and he said they had two differant ones a full size and a mini so what I was wondering was does anyone run the mini or is everybody running a full size and can I get some options.

jmhjgh
06-07-2011, 02:13 PM
I have the same 96 PS205. We mostly ski, but do also wakeboard. Our boat stays on a lift under a canopy, and we pull it on the lift vs. shore anytime we dock. For us, it was easier (and much less expensive) to just use a flyhigh pole. We have the benefit of leaving everything on the dock so room in the boat is not too important.

92 190 PS
06-07-2011, 02:17 PM
My 2 cents....For looks I'd go with the mini. Function and storage will be similar for both, but the full size will give you more walking around room inside the boat. Haven't been out there in a while, but the new deminsion website had pictures of the different styles and I'm sure you can find pictures of both on this site under the prostar threads. Good luck and post some pictures once you make your decision.

amesgardner
06-07-2011, 02:25 PM
I have the mini on my 2002 197....I would much much rather have the full size.

tideengineer
06-07-2011, 02:27 PM
I am very interested in what you do. I have a 1996 Prostar 190 LT1 that I recently purchased and want to put a tower on....keep me posted.

tjuggy
06-07-2011, 02:56 PM
The mini looks awesome. I was told that the mini was 18 inches shorter than the full size. I also keep my boat on a lift but I like the tower to keep the bimini pulled up and the skies and the boards up out of the floor and the light on top. I would like to see some pics of the mini on somebodys boats

JMann
06-07-2011, 03:20 PM
I don't have a tower but the mini's look awesome. I think you should check the height of the mini from the floor to the bottom of the tower. I think it's under 6', depending on how tall you are you won't be able to stand underneath the tower is which could be annoying.

Jim@BAWS
06-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Heres the deal...Go FULL TOWER. Once the mini is mounted you may kick yourself for not getting the full

The MINI was designed for junior who cannot quit wakeboard yet and dad is thinking about getting into it
but still slalom skis. Your hull is/was still in production as the current X1 as a V Drive. Go fo the FULL TOWER

Jim@BAWS

93Prostar190
06-07-2011, 03:40 PM
My 2 cents....For looks I'd go with the mini. Function and storage will be similar for both, but the full size will give you more walking around room inside the boat. Haven't been out there in a while, but the new deminsion website had pictures of the different styles and I'm sure you can find pictures of both on this site under the prostar threads. Good luck and post some pictures once you make your decision.

Totally agree ... I used to have a 93 PS ... but now I have a newer 214 with a mini-tower .... looks are killer but I need to watch my head and hanging speakers will only work from the center 2 pods or else I would really have a problem.

Also consider the engine hatch opening if you plan on hanging speakers .... the cans on a mini will impact your ability to open the hatch on some boats.

Good luck.

SS LS1
06-07-2011, 03:57 PM
I think the big difference is do you want to bump your head our not while moving about the boat? That is probably the first question to answer. Mini = better looks from shore but headache for some passengers. I would get the full personally.

DemolitionMan
06-07-2011, 04:16 PM
On the the 205 I would go with the full tower. If it was a 197 or 190 I would go with the mini, it just fits the boat better.

tjuggy
06-07-2011, 06:45 PM
wow I can't believe that they are so short that you would have trouble opening the engine cover. does anybody have a picture of a 205 with a mini? My buddie has a 190 with the same color scheme as I do with a full size new demension tower and it just kinda looks like it's to tall and that is why I was considering the mini

BROUSSARD
06-07-2011, 07:40 PM
wow I can't believe that they are so short that you would have trouble opening the engine cover. does anybody have a picture of a 205 with a mini? My buddie has a 190 with the same color scheme as I do with a full size new demension tower and it just kinda looks like it's to tall and that is why I was considering the mini

You won't have problems opening the engine cover, unless you put speakers.

BROUSSARD
06-07-2011, 07:51 PM
.................................................. .................................

setidball
06-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Bumped my head on a friends mini tower ... it wasn't nice, but I got over it.
S

yippikaiyay
06-07-2011, 10:19 PM
On the the 205 I would go with the full tower. If it was a 197 or 190 I would go with the mini, it just fits the boat better.
I agree with Demo Man. The 205 with it's higher freeboard matches up nicely with the full sized New Dimension tower. Mini Towers are great, but I think only on the lower profile 197.
And by the way, out of all the towers out there, New Dimension are not the cheapest, but are well built and look the best on Mastercrafts, IMO.
Good luck!

tjuggy
06-07-2011, 11:14 PM
I know they are not the cheepist but they do look the best and I feel like I have a nice boat and I like the way the new demension towers look factory, nothing against the other brands but I sold my moomba and I have a little money left over so I just wanted to go ahead and a good one while I could. I guess I will go with the full size one but the mini sure does look awsome.

Thrall
06-08-2011, 02:09 AM
Here's a couple more pics of a full size tower on a 190. Looks a little tall with a bare tower, but IMO that look goes away once you start hanging some acccessories from it.
I might get a mini tower if I was like 4'tall!

Kyle
06-08-2011, 02:21 AM
Thank you Thrall for your time and efforts. Very nice 190. The tower will look not as tall with speakers that will hang 10" down with hardware and cans. A Bimini under the cans will also make the height look not so tall. I like the sleek look of the lower Bimini and think the Bimini on top of the mini tower is too tall and the shade would not be as good as a lower Bimini on full tower. 4 speakers on a mini would probably mean bumped heads.

Thanks for your time again.

tjuggy
06-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Thanks for all the input I will probably order the full size today. That's a good looking boat

Thrall
06-08-2011, 10:15 PM
No problem Kyle. Hope it helps in your decision.

dbenz123
06-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Take Jim's word, from a dealers stand point, they usually know best.

I have used both towers. I would never recommend a mini to anyone! I am a shorter guy, at 5-7, and I always hit my head on the mini tower. It's not about looks, it's about function. The full tower will be more benefical for you. Wakeboarding, barefooting, and pulling people that are learning to ski will benefit better from a higher pull.

If your worried about taking the tower down for travel, then go with a barefoot international hylon. The are practical, a fraction of the cost, and give you a higher pull that you want.

In the end, I would never buy a mini tower, and never tell anyone to buy a mini tower. I have used both and I think the full tower lots better. Plus for resale, full tower will hold more value.

Good luck.

MIskier
06-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Go for the full size tower. While I personally like the mini tower, the boat I ski behind has one, you will be happier with the full size tower if you have kids that want to get into wakeboarding. You also wouldnt want to add 4 speakers to a mini, believe me you only walk into it once before you remember to duck when moving around it.

amesgardner
06-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Take Jim's word, from a dealers stand point, they usually know best.

I have used both towers. I would never recommend a mini to anyone! I am a shorter guy, at 5-7, and I always hit my head on the mini tower. It's not about looks, it's about function. The full tower will be more benefical for you. Wakeboarding, barefooting, and pulling people that are learning to ski will benefit better from a higher pull.

If your worried about taking the tower down for travel, then go with a barefoot international hylon. The are practical, a fraction of the cost, and give you a higher pull that you want.

In the end, I would never buy a mini tower, and never tell anyone to buy a mini tower. I have used both and I think the full tower lots better. Plus for resale, full tower will hold more value.

Good luck.

+1.... I have the mini on my 197. Looks like nice, but not very functional.

DemolitionMan
06-09-2011, 01:53 PM
The first pic is Sodar's 197 with the 07 mini tower. The second pic is my 197 with the 08 mini tower. With the 205 I would go with the full tower by ND.

TayMC197
06-09-2011, 06:39 PM
I have a mini on my 92 190 and love it... it looks great and gives plenty of lift for tricks on a wakeboard. Then again I'm probably a junior who doesn't know what I want to do. Personally I'm a slalom skier but my friends like wakeboarding... Full towers on the boats are fine but I don't think they look as good. .

DooSPX
06-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Damn it Taylor!!!!!!!!! If I didnt have my boat, I would pay you top dollar for that beauty!!!!!

What are you getting anyway? a 197?

tjuggy
06-10-2011, 08:51 AM
The mini looks sweet and I wish I could afford a 197 they are a good looking boat. I ordered the full size tower with one board rack, anchor light on the ski tow, and pre wired for two speakers but I will probably call him back and get it wired for four speakers.

TayMC197
06-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Damn it Taylor!!!!!!!!! If I didnt have my boat, I would pay you top dollar for that beauty!!!!!

What are you getting anyway? a 197?

Well I came down on my price to get it sold... I hope to move it soon, my bank is doing all of the paperwork transfer on this new beauty... I hope everything goes through fine... can't wait to get it.

DemolitionMan
06-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Well I came down on my price to get it sold... I hope to move it soon, my bank is doing all of the paperwork transfer on this new beauty... I hope everything goes through fine... can't wait to get it.

Very Nice!!!! Welcome to the 197 club.

DooSPX
06-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Damn! a 03 PTT?

Jim@BAWS
06-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Damn! a 03 PTT?

02...100 Tournament Team Boats where used with current hull design. In 2003 they where black or yellow

Jim@BAWS

DooSPX
06-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Ha, I was thinking that!! I was wrong again... oh well, thanks Jim!

TayMC197
06-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Damn! a 03 PTT?

Its an 02... Now I'm just waiting for the guy to call my bank back, they are ready to cut him a check...

DooSPX
06-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Nice ride!

DooSPX
06-10-2011, 12:00 PM
I have to say, I wish they would go back to the black windshield frame, I think it looks soo much better.

Kyle
06-10-2011, 12:01 PM
I know that TT is sweet. What engine

DooSPX
06-10-2011, 12:06 PM
As far as looks is concerned, I have a hard time deciding, but I think that the 91-94 hulls are the sleekest!

gts-20
06-10-2011, 12:36 PM
That's a beautiful TT197! We have the mini tower on our PS214. I like the look of the mini, and you only have to hit your head on it once to remember not to do it again. If I had to do it all over again, I think I would have done the full size tower.

TayMC197
06-11-2011, 11:23 AM
That style mini sets pretty far back, that could be a pain.