PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge question?

agarabaghi
06-06-2011, 08:39 PM
So my fuel gauge has never worked. We thought it was the sending unit, which was replaced by the dealer. It is clearly a newer unit as it is not dirty or anything. When you turn the boat on the gauge ticks up about 2 lines, and then drops back down.

I decided to hook up the meter and see what kind of readings i would get, here are the results:

From sender unit
blk
white
red

red to black 1.5ohm
whit to black 10 ohm

I could be reversed, but form this im assuming i have 1.5/10 units of gas in the tank. So the sender seems fine.

From the gauge (shorted with a wire)
blk
white
red

blk to red it sparks and the dash resets itself. All the gauges and PP turn off and then back on, as if you pulled the key. The wire im using to short with get pretty hot.

white to black the gauge goes to full
white to red the gauge goes to full.

Ideas?

Jim@BAWS
06-06-2011, 08:41 PM
So my fuel gauge has never worked. We thought it was the sending unit, which was replaced by the dealer. It is clearly a newer unit as it is not dirty or anything. When you turn the boat on the gauge ticks up about 2 lines, and then drops back down.

I decided to hook up the meter and see what kind of readings i would get, here are the results:

From sender unit
blk
white
red

red to black 1.5ohm
whit to black 10 ohm

I could be reversed, but form this im assuming i have 1.5/10 units of gas in the tank. So the sender seems fine.

From the gauge (shorted with a wire)
blk
white
red

blk to red it sparks and the dash resets itself. All the gauges and PP turn off and then back on, as if you pulled the key. The wire im using to short with get pretty hot.

white to black the gauge goes to full
white to red the gauge goes to full.

Ideas?

Call Chuck tomorrow for some input 813 996 2297 Jim

agarabaghi
06-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks Jim, will do.

agarabaghi
06-07-2011, 09:05 AM
any other ideas?

kskonn
06-07-2011, 11:53 AM
I think I would call chuck for some more input! LOL

agarabaghi
06-07-2011, 11:59 AM
i did, he suggested unplugging the emc and seeing if those connectors were clean.

davidstan
06-07-2011, 12:06 PM
My gauge issue is probably the strangest. Erratic readings since i bought the boat 5 months ago. Turned out to be a water gauge insert instead of a fuel one. Bottom line was it was too short to give accurate info. Guy at Royce Ind (maker) said it happens from time to time becaust the 2 inserts look alike.

agarabaghi
06-14-2011, 12:16 PM
So im starting to think it is the MMDC box.

but...

1) since i short the gauge and it goes to full doesn't that rule out the MMDC?

2) What gauges go to the MMDC and does anyone know which set of plugs goes to the devices and which set of plugs go to the gauges?

http://www.waterskis.com/v/vspfiles/photos/MasterCraft_MMDC_Box_05_06-3T.jpg

EWood1326
06-14-2011, 12:23 PM
I had the same prob on my supra last year before I sold it and it ended up being that I had to replace the guage and it worked as soon as I hooked it up.

agarabaghi
06-14-2011, 12:26 PM
When i short the connection from the sender (which goes i guess to the mmdc / gauge) the gauge goes to full...

agarabaghi
06-14-2011, 07:31 PM
pulled the sender out today per the mechanic request and follows his instructions:

1) Remove sender from fuel tank
2) Click key over to ignition and the gauge is suppose to go to empty to full to empty (which it did not.
3) Reinstall sender and the gauge should read properly... which is did not.

All my gauge did was the same thing struggled to get to the 1st white line past empty then dropped by down to Empty.

Here are some pics of my sender... looks like it has 0 moving parts:

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2450/imagepll.jpg

http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/139/imagedma.jpg

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-14-2011, 08:45 PM
call skidim and see if they can help, looks like the same sender http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WEMSSS-9

agarabaghi
06-15-2011, 08:58 AM
anyone know where they sell just fuel gauges and how much they are?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-15-2011, 09:03 AM
If seen them on ebay from time to time