PDA

View Full Version : What V drive seals to replace on 2000 X? About to pull it...

dmaxxx
06-06-2011, 07:24 PM
I have a leak under my Hurth v drive trans. I lightly tapped some rocks on prop and must have aggravated a seal ready to go. So I am going to pull the thing this weekend, need to order parts and have trust issues with local shops. I would love help on what exact seal I am replacing, pretty sure it is just drive shaft seal. Love to know that part number if anyone knows it. Also while I have it out is there anything else I should mess with? The trans works great otherwise and we limped home less than 10 min w plenty of trans oil still so I am not worried about that.

G-Star
06-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Give the guys over at http://www.skidim.com/ a call. They should be able to get you the parts you need.

dmaxxx
06-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks G-Star. Just in case anyone cares, skidim does not carry those. They directed me to another company that directed me to TMI in Florida. They shipped me seals 2nd day air total cost for both was like $79 bucks. When I called the dealership, they wanted about $200 for both seals before sales tax. Did they really need to try and make $130 plus profit on some shaft seals? This is why I came here 1st to ask. Can you imagine what they would charge me to change them?... HA

G-Star
06-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Glad to hear you got your parts. Post pics of your work if you take any... I'm interested to see how it goes.

dmaxxx
06-10-2011, 01:54 PM
I will have my camera. I will also have my iPad so that I can search the heck out of TT if I run into issues.

G-Star
06-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Good luck. To save you a search, this thread might be helpful:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=35163

dmaxxx
06-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Update on seal job. Sorry I got busy I finished this up on the following Saturday already. It was 100+ degrees here in Austin the day I did this, that might have been the hardest part. Took forever to undo everything, I found getting the shaft out and off the coupler to be quite easy. I used the 6" gear puller and that coupler popped right off. Getting the fuel tank out of my way was a pain in the but. I had issues with the transducer wire being to short and in my way, so I cut it (hasty I know). I was able to splice it back together using shielded coax cable (like for your TV), soldered everything back and wrapped in foil before sealing with shrink tube. Believe it or not that worked and my depth readings are perfect.

OK, back to the trans. She runs perfect. We have had it out 4 times now under heavy load and no leaks in or out. Pretty happy about this one. This site of course helped me a ton in prep and in little things I would not have thought of when removing the trans from the boat. Cheers!

G-Star
07-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Any pics of the operation?