PDA

View Full Version : I want a bigger wake!!!

giftpak21
06-06-2011, 02:57 PM
I recently purchased a 2006 197 Prostar. I was into skiing a few years ago and have had a back problem that limits my skiing these days. I have been trying to get more into wakeboarding so I can still enjoy my boat. I have a tower but no ballast tanks. How much weight should I be adding in the back to get a bigger wake? I would like to accomplish some inverted tricks.

Thanks Mike

agarabaghi
06-06-2011, 02:58 PM
60/40 weight distribution is a good start.

Back problems and your going into wakeboarding... hmmmmm haha...

Get a couple sacs and move them around. I would probably do 1 in the nose, 1 on each side of the motor and 1 in the back.

giftpak21
06-06-2011, 03:19 PM
So your saying I really want to put the boat lower in the water and not all the weight in the back?

blakehardesty
06-06-2011, 03:33 PM
If all the weight is in the back then the prop cavitates in my experience. At least one sac in front and a bigger one in back.

BWB-745-
06-06-2011, 03:34 PM
^^ Kind of. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Weight in the back will make the wake steeper while weighting in the front will give a mellower, rampy wake. You would need to weight both in order to find the happy medium you prefer.

giftpak21
06-06-2011, 04:16 PM
I would think I want a steeper one to get higher...correct?

I am coming to the conclusion this is a hard thing to figure out unless I try some different combinations with different amounts?

Blake----what kind of weight did you have in the back for it to cavitate?

DooSPX
06-06-2011, 04:48 PM
why would you take up wakeboarding if your back is hurt? wake boarding is harder on the body them slalom unless all you do is cross the wakes, in which case you do not want a larger wake.
try to improve your form in slalom.

Jeff d
06-06-2011, 04:52 PM
If you weight it too much in the rear you will have 2 problems that will both cause you to have to drive faster. The boat will ride too high in the bow so the driver won't be able to see and the wake will get so steep that it will curl over and not be hard enough to jump well. You can go faster to get the boat to level out but you will probably not want to go faster than about 21-22 for beginner to intermediate boarders. More speed generally means more difficulty and worse injuries.

I have no experience weighting a 197 but IMHO this would be a generally good progression for a direct drive:

For a beginner I'd put a pair of bags on either side of the engine in a direct drive and get used to that then reevaluate your plans after that. 600-800 lbs will probably make a very noticeable difference in that small of a boat. Experiment with them next to the engine or with one in the bow, one in the stern (Throw them both in the rear to test if you like too). If you want a bigger wake then move both of those bags to the rear and buy another one for the bow to compensate. Still want bigger? get a large bag for the rear, move your pair of bags back to the original location and put more weight in the bow. At this point it will take a skilled driver to keep the bow from dipping into the water and the wave from coming over the stern when stopping.

There are budget bags with the waterbed style fittings like Aerial that are generally fine for "manual" filling but won't work very well for an automated system if you ever plan to go that route. If you think you are going to plumb things in for automatic filling spend the extra money on Fly High bags.

Either of these pairs would be a good starting point:
http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-v-drive-sacs.html
http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-side-sacs.html

Here's the more budget friendly waterbed style bags:
http://www.h2osportswarehouse.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BB-AER350
http://www.h2osportswarehouse.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BB-AER550

aquaman
06-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Stick to skiing, if you think you back is bad now......boarding w/ a wake should put you on the couch.

Working on your skiing form is the best advice I have seen on this thread.

Jerseydave
06-06-2011, 05:35 PM
I recently purchased a 2006 197 Prostar. I was into skiing a few years ago and have had a back problem that limits my skiing these days. I have been trying to get more into wakeboarding so I can still enjoy my boat. I have a tower but no ballast tanks. How much weight should I be adding in the back to get a bigger wake? I would like to accomplish some inverted tricks.

Thanks Mike

Your boat is not the best choice for wakeboarding, and wakeboarding is not the best choice for people with bad backs.

I suggest improve your slalom technique (as others have stated) or get a boom and try barefooting! When I had my prostar and learned to barefoot, the slalom ski didn't come out on the boat very often.

kskonn
06-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Yea I am not following the whole your back hurts and you want to wakeboard angle. Wakeboarding torques your back constantly, and tends to yank it pretty good when you go head first into the water on a invert trick.

You do not want your wake to steep without good ramp, won't be able to pop off the wake to get good air. you want ramp with a nice peak.

for what it is worth, a buddy of mine can bull back side rolls, railies and other inverted stuff on the back of a 190 1991 nautique with no weight. It is less about the wake size and more about technique when it comes to getting pop off a wake. make sure you can ride both ways well before you start trying to many exotic tricks, it will save you some pain later and will allow you to give different sides of you lower back a break while riding.

ahhudgins
06-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Stick to skiing, if you think you back is bad now......boarding w/ a wake should put you on the couch.

Working on your skiing form is the best advice I have seen on this thread.

I agree. You have a bad back so you decide to increase your wake size and try inverts? This year I decided to cut back on the boarding and try to do more slalom free skiing to make it EASIER on my old body.

Like everyone says, you will have to work with the speed and weight to get the results you want.

mccobmd
06-06-2011, 11:30 PM
I would agree that inverts are harder on the back. That being said I who have a bad back don't have much more strain on a slalom than a wakeboard but I just go back and forth on both. Can go wake to wake but end up regretting it the next day. That being said if you want to be successful then your ability to achieve "pop" properly will the the factor that allows you to do inverts not the wake size.

Gabe63
06-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Move into wake surfing for a bad back.

agarabaghi
06-07-2011, 08:54 AM
it's all about line tension!

chawk610
06-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Surfing is a good idea... seems pretty "low impact"... I on the other hand wakeboard and have had MANY "high impacts"... LOL

agarabaghi
06-07-2011, 09:18 AM
hmm wakeboarding doesn't hurt...

snapped femur
snapped tib
snapped fib

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2150/130/13/32901034/n32901034_31284136_6662.jpg

aquaman
06-07-2011, 09:28 AM
hmm wakeboarding doesn't hurt...

snapped femur
snapped tib
snapped fib

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2150/130/13/32901034/n32901034_31284136_6662.jpg

WOW

For the benefit of all can you tell us what happened? OUCH!

kskonn
06-07-2011, 10:01 AM
I am in the Snapped Tib support group. Last summer. Nothing like wiping out and then trying to get your foot out of a binding with a broken bone while floating in the middle of a lake!

DooSPX
06-07-2011, 11:48 AM
OUCH!!!!! I will stick to slalom! or better yet, I would love to take up surfing! Too bad I would need to almost sink my 190 to get a wake to keep my fat @$$ up without the rope.

agarabaghi
06-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Came around on a tantrum messed up or something snapped my femur.

The tib fib was from snowboarding actually...

But hey im all healed up and 1/2 made of metal... and i can still land some tricks =P... i dont do tantrums anymore though

1redTA
06-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Came around on a tantrum messed up or something snapped my femur.

The tib fib was from snowboarding actually...

But hey im all healed up and 1/2 made of metal... and i can still land some tricks =P... i dont do tantrums anymore though

Is that you wolverine?

DemolitionMan
06-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Is that you wolverine?

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

agarabaghi
06-07-2011, 01:38 PM
yup you should see the hassle at airports =P

kskonn
06-07-2011, 03:13 PM
OUCH!!!!! I will stick to slalom! or better yet, I would love to take up surfing! Too bad I would need to almost sink my 190 to get a wake to keep my fat @$$ up without the rope.

I picked up surfing this year for the hell of it. I have found that it keeps from the dreaded "one more time syndrome" on the wakeboard. Instead of wakeboarding when I get tired I just yank out the surfboard. Every injury I have every had wakeboarding has been at the end of my "last run".