PDA

View Full Version : Took the boat out for the first time--yikes!

ariutta
06-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Took out our PS 190 for the first time today and it was quite eventful. The launch went well over-all despite a greatly V'd out launching are due to powerloaders. Start up, idle, etc went well. My wife took the truck and trailer back to the cabin and I drove the boat to the dock. Half way there, I noticed that meet were getting wet! Nope, I didnt forget to put in the center drain plug. Luckily, a fellow Mastercrafter happened to be floating by as I was idling in the water trying to figure out where all the water was coming from. It seemed to be coming from under the closed bow. My first thought was that I just got burned by buying a boat with a cracked hull. My friend quickly diagnosed the problem as leaky heater core. I was able to stop the hemorrhaging by turning off the valve at the block. Interestingly, this didnt completely stop the leaking, so I disconnected in hoses from the heater and plugged off both ends with some random stuff in my barn for a temporary fix.

Now for the real question. I heard these heater cores are available at NAPA as a cross reference. Is this true?

Thanks

Adam

Jerseydave
06-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Not sure about NAPA.

Check the heatercraft website or try skidim.com for help

Thank goodness it's June and you don't need that heater! :)

Hollywood
06-06-2011, 02:33 PM
You can find one that is a near fit but you'll probably have to grind out the openings in the box as they are not exactly in the same spots, but the core itself will fit nicely. I will try to find a part number as I just did this last fall.

BG1772
06-06-2011, 02:34 PM
When mine cracked, I got it at NAPA. I still have the box at home, I will get it and post the part number. Was way cheaper than getting an official heatercraft one. Want to say less than $30.

east tx skier
06-06-2011, 05:21 PM
These heater cores seem to have a usable life of four years give or take.

Brian B
06-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Weird.

Can someone tell me if it's potentially bad to keep my heater water valve open all summer? I wont use the heater again till fall....... I figured the at the very least it would help with engine cooling...

Jerseydave
06-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Weird.

Can someone tell me if it's potentially bad to keep my heater water valve open all summer? I wont use the heater again till fall....... I figured the at the very least it would help with engine cooling...

I keep mine open all summer, I think it's better to allow water to circulate through the heater core rather than have the same water just sitting in it all summer.

ariutta
06-07-2011, 01:31 AM
Interestingly, when I turned the valve off at the block, the thing still leaked like crazy. I dont think it was just water in the hose either, because it NEVER stopped even after boating for at least an hour. The only thing that got it to stop was shoving a dowel in the hose and tightening the hose clamp!

Gabe63
06-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Mine did the same thing also. I wish I new about NAPA, bought mine from Heater craft $$$

Have fun with the new boat.

Thrall
06-08-2011, 03:47 AM
Interestingly, when I turned the valve off at the block, the thing still leaked like crazy. I dont think it was just water in the hose either, because it NEVER stopped even after boating for at least an hour. The only thing that got it to stop was shoving a dowel in the hose and tightening the hose clamp!

The valve on the inlet hose from the engine will shut off the main flow. The outlet hose ties back in to the raw water line. Proabably picking up flow from the water running thru the raw water line. Just guessing, knock on wood, 2 boats, 2 heaters, no leaks so far. I have thought about throwing an inline valve on the oulet hose as well for the reason mentioned above.
Can you just hook the 2 hoses together with a coupler? That should get you thru the summer.