PDA

View Full Version : X-Star water in front bilge?

jjct1
06-05-2011, 11:00 PM
The front bilge in my new to me 2004 X-Star seems to have a little water in it each day while sitting in the water (a second or two running the bilge dries it out). The rear bilge is practically dry. The water is not from passengers or using the balast. What drains into the front bilge?

Jerseydave
06-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Water can go from the rear bilge to the front, and while docked the angle of the boat will most likely allow water to go forward.

Check all your hoses around the engine, exhaust hoses, etc. You may just be getting some water in through the propshaft packing, normal if it's not dripping too fast. If it drips too fast, you packing may need to be tightened.

mseller
06-06-2011, 08:44 AM
I get water in same area in my 08 x45 as well

ttu
06-06-2011, 09:26 AM
same issue here with 07 x2. checked the hoses to the engine twice and still getting more water than i should be.

hcoog17
06-06-2011, 10:49 AM
I had a leak on my x-30. My front bilge would come on about once every hour during my day on the lake. There are tons of places a small drip can come from. The front bilge is the low point in my boat when it is sitting in the water. Like someone stated earler the rear and front are not seperated so a leak from the rear could accumilaute at the front. After I figuered out it wasn't the engine / cooling / raw water etc, I searched all over.

I couldnt find it while it was sitting in the water....so I put it on the trailer and added some water to the the bilge area with a garden hose to see if I could find a drip. The leak was one of 4 bolts around the rudder shaft at the rear. It was loose.

Just spend a lot of time looking.

swatguy
06-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Your particular 2004 will get water in that locker even with zero leaks. People getting in and out of the water will allow it to drain into the rear which will eventually get in that front section. Sudden stops or sitting in a swim area with some bigger waves are just a few ways due to the blower vents being in the rear. Then when you slow from cruising into no wake speeds the water in the rear half will jump forward. At idle speeds it wont be able to get over the lip inside your locker to flow back to the rear. Even harder with a ballast bag in there. It's a never ending battle that has drove many of us nuts for years. In the end it goes two ways. Take you bag out and soak it up with a towel, or just leave it alone. No matter how hard you try it will get in there no matter what.