PDA

View Full Version : Install 2nd Battery????

rslong50
06-05-2011, 07:40 PM
I have a 98 prostar 205 with a couple amps, and 6 - 6x9 speakers. Currently I am set up with one battery. I just got the boat and had a dead battery the first time out. Nothing was left on that I can see. Would you all suggest installing a 2nd battery? If so, where and how? Thanks.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Don't know about adding a 2nd battery, I would charge it up and check for a paracedic (sp) draw anything under 50 milliamps is considered good anything over and your have a component drawing power that drained the battery...

rslong50
06-06-2011, 04:14 PM
how do I check for a paracedic draw?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Using a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) set it to 10 amps make sure everything is off and key is out of ignition, remove negative battery cable put one end of meter lead on the battery post and the other meter lead on the cable end itself, it doesn't matter which end goes where, if its backwards it will show a - sign simply reverse leads, read the meter for a few minutes, the readings will start high then settle down after about 30 minutes should be long enough see what your have on the meter, 50 milliamps or less is good. If its higher than that your have a component pulling power that will drain the battery, and you can start pulling fuses or circuit breakers to see if the amps go down, kind of like leaving a dome light on in your car.

Matt L.
06-07-2011, 10:02 AM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3557&highlight=official+battery+thread

Here is the official Dual Battery thread.

WWW.Genuinedealz.com is the only place to order marine grade wiring supplies. Not sure if they do shorter runs of small wire, but they have great prices on batt cables and related supplies. Super fast order shipping too.

I did this dual battery setup 2+ years ago. It works flawlessly!

Later,

Matt

scocs15
06-09-2011, 08:38 PM
I just added a 2nd battery using that link. It worked great, and was easy to do. The only thing I would recommend is knowing what you are hooking up to each battery. I have an '06 X2 and unknowingly hooked up the dash board line to the 2nd battery I had the stereo hooked up to. Well all my dash gauges went out one day and I had no idea why. The next day I figured it out and made the change. I got the isolater at O'Reilly's. They had it in stock, but at a higher price than Auto Zone. O'Reilly's did match the price however.