PDA

View Full Version : Ford F-150 Optimal Configuration

Turnandburn
06-05-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm considering buying a new F-150 to tow my PS 197 on a tandem trailer. Keeping miminal cost in mind, what would the otpimal configuration be for such a truck. The truck's primary job would be to haul the boat and occasional weekend landscaping projects. I'm considering the 3.5L Ecoboost.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-05-2011, 10:15 AM
for the f-150 XL striped with ecoboost which is a 3800 $ option, regular cab 8 ft bed msrp is about 27k. with ecoboost towing is over 11,000 max weight with the 3.7l v6 non ecoboost your looking about 23k and only able to tow about 6k pounds

G-Star
06-05-2011, 12:47 PM
If I were looking for a new truck, I'd have a hard time staying away from that EcoBoost. Sounds like Ford has created a pretty amazing engine. Plus, it sounds cool :D

The new 5.0L would also be a great engine. I'd say the decision would be between those 2, and the fuel mileage & power of the EcoBoost would probably win the battle.

I agree on the N/A V6... not enough power. It just doesn't stack up against the 5.0L or the EcoBoost. Too much power is always a good thing. :D

FourFourty
06-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Go with the Eco-Boost V6. The only thing that sucks about the Eco-Boost is that they are hard to find right now. They are so popular that Ford was running short on that engine for a while. My friend ordered one in February, and they delayed production because they didnt have enough engines. It is finally finished production now, and he is supposed to get it wednesday...... Long wait time. There are some at dealerships, just not a ton of them to choose from....

Thrall
06-05-2011, 02:21 PM
I've never been a Ford guy and have had at least a dozen different variations of the 5.4 engines in company trucks. Most have been very reliable, but somewhat anemic, high revving to get any power out of them.
That said,I rented a new 2011 5.0 this winter and have just received a new company truck, 5.0, 6sp auto, ext cab 2wd. The 5.o has some awesome power! Also it appears to be getting 16mpg out of the box (from the overhead, haven't ckecked manually).
My opinion of Fords is quickly changing if this truck is reliable. The engine rips. The manual shift on the trans is cool. The tow haul will downshift with cruise on going downhill and hold your speed automatically (empty, haven't towed with it).
I'd reccomend the 5.0/6speed basedon my limited experience with it.

Sullivan
06-05-2011, 03:00 PM
I drove the Ecoboost and loved it. It really is going to be an awesome engine. The power comes on quick and is very smooth to redline.

BrianM
06-05-2011, 04:56 PM
No shortage of the Ecoboost F150s around here. One of the local dealers has at least 20 of them in various configurations sitting on the lot.

flya750
06-05-2011, 07:05 PM
For ALL Fords.. I would consider rust proofing if you're in a snowy state....I've had lots of rust problems with my 04' F150...80k miles. Lots of other problems too... but I guess you get what you get when you buy the first version of a new truck.